Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [38]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what [#permalink]
Kudos
You may have combination of 1,4 also which will satisfy the given equation .

BUT THIS IS NOT CORRECT

Actually given equation is a collection of 4 straight lines which are caluclated on below logic

when x and y both negative
x negative and y positive
x positive and y negative
x positive and y positive

this way we get four lines amd then draw them on the xy plane

and calculate the enclosed area .

award kudos if helpful

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: If equation |x| + |y| = 5 encloses a certain region on the graph, what [#permalink]
Bookmarks
m1033512 wrote:

BUT THIS IS NOT CORRECT

Actually given equation is a collection of 4 straight lines which are caluclated on below logic

award kudos if helpful

I'm still confused. Possible combinations of (5,0), (4,1), (3,2) all yield inconsistent results, wouldn't this be an invalid problem? What is wrong about using (1,4) or (2,3)? They both satisfy the equation and yield straight lines on the graph. I'm guessing this is supposed to be wrong because only (0,5) doesn't plot vertical lines, but I don't see anything in the problem that prevents this. The problem seems to state plotting the coordinates and interpreting them visually.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
georgethomps wrote:
m1033512 wrote:

BUT THIS IS NOT CORRECT

award kudos if helpful

I'm still confused. Possible combinations of (5,0), (4,1), (3,2) all yield inconsistent results, wouldn't this be an invalid problem? What is wrong about using (1,4) or (2,3)? They both satisfy the equation and yield straight lines on the graph. I'm guessing this is supposed to be wrong because only (0,5) doesn't plot vertical lines, but I don't see anything in the problem that prevents this. The problem seems to state plotting the coordinates and interpreting them visually.

Note that the question has asked for the area enclosed by the equation. In other words it is asking for the area where all these lines (4 in this case) intersect. From the equation we can see that the lines will intersect at (5,0), (0,5), (-5,0) and (0,-5). While your coordinates may satisfy the equation, they are not the points at which these lines intersect. To make it simpler, when asked to compute area under the graph in questions of this type, look for the coordinates at which the lines intersect and compute the area enclosed by them.

Hope its clear now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Why can't the area be computed as side^2 where each side equals 5 so area would be 25

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
yg01 wrote:
Why can't the area be computed as side^2 where each side equals 5 so area would be 25

You could find the area that way but notice that the side does not equal to 5, it actually equals to \(5\sqrt{2}\) (for example, the distance between two vertices (0, 5) and (5, 0) is \(5\sqrt{2}\)). So, the area \(= side^2=(5\sqrt{2})^2=50\).

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
yg01 wrote:

Similar questions to practice:

Hope it helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92881 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts