Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [58]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [5]
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [5]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Re: If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level wou [#permalink]
Kudos
rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'B'
'A' 'at least 100 feet or more' seems to be redundant - at least 100 feet will suffice.

You're right, I missed out the 'more', the use of which is redundant.

B is correct, as the opening phrase constitues a 'if' clause well (subjunctive - i.e. tsting a condition that is contrary to the truth)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Send PM
Re: If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level wou [#permalink]
Absolutely!!!

Choice Bis the best......Or more id redundant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
OA is B.

This is a tough one- starting the sentence with Were the ice... just does not sound correct and threw me off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
KristinHR wrote:
OA is B.

This is a tough one- starting the sentence with Were the ice... just does not sound correct and threw me off.

As far as I know, it is usual in GMAT to structure a hypothetical period this way, so get used :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
KristinHR wrote:
OA is B.

I believe this is a conditional sentence with a hidden if clause and a hidden then clause. The if clause is given by the 'were' and since it's in the past tense, the then clause would have to be would/could + base verb
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Similar to this:

Had I known it I would have done something about it.

Meaning
If I had known it I would have done something about it.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet or more.
A. ....

B. Were the ice of Greenland and Antarctica to melt, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet.

C. Was the ice of Greenland and Antarctica to melt, the sea level woudl rise at least 100 feet or more.

D. If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica was melting, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet.

E. Should the ice of Greenland and Antarctica melt, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet or more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet or more. A. If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level would rise at least 100 feet or more.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q169 V159
GPA: 3.83
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can someone tell me if the last option did not have the redundant part, would that be a better construction than the official answer since as per my learning, "Should" is also correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
If the ice of Greenland and Antarctica were to melt, the sea level wou [#permalink]
HI Experts can you please explain why B is correct, though I get the atleast 100 or more concept but what I am not able to get my head around this SUBJUNCTIVE usage on GMAT questions. I am getting most of such answers wrong.

Thanks in advance
AjiteshArun , egmat, GMATNinja, carcass, generis

Originally posted by bratbg on 11 Aug 2019, 05:20.
Last edited by bratbg on 12 Aug 2019, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
At least 100 feet or more - redundant. Rules out A, C, and E
Were... would - correct structure. Rules out D.

Hence, B is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hello Experts can you please help me with the question. My only point of confusion is option B and D. If possible could you please explain why the usage of were is correct in option B ?

AjiteshArun , egmat, GMATNinja, carcass, generis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos