GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60627
If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 01:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:18) correct 54% (01:58) wrong based on 24 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1 percent, what is the average (arithmetic mean) number of defective pens in the box of pens?

(1) The probability that all the pens in the box are not defective is 96%
(2) The probability that there is more than 1 defective pen in the box is 3%


Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

_________________
GMAT Tutor
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Posts: 332
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 09:42
Bunuel wrote:
If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1 percent, what is the average (arithmetic mean) number of defective pens in the box of pens?

(1) The probability that all the pens in the box are not defective is 96%
(2) The probability that there is more than 1 defective pen in the box is 3%


Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions


Analyzing the question:

Note the question uses the term "exactly 1", this means we might have 0, 1, 2, or more defective pens for each box. We need to find the probability for 0, 1, 2, 3 ... defective pens in order to answer the question.

Statement 1:

96% there are 0 defective, 1% there is 1 defective, then the other 3% must have 2 or more defective pens. We don't know exactly how the 3% is distributed yet so this is insufficient.

Statement 2:

This was the conclusion from statement 1. We can infer there are 96% boxes with 0 defective pens with this information but we still don't know the details of the 3%. Insufficient.

Combined:

We have duplicate information so we can automatically choose E.

Let us assume either one of the statements told us the probability for 2 defective pens was 3%, hence the entire probability set for "more than 1" is covered by the probability for 2 defective pens. Then the average amount of defective pens per box would be calculated by: 96%* 0 + 1%*1 + 3%*2 = 7% = 0.07. So for each box, there is an average of 0.07 pens that are defective, or for every 100 boxes, there are 7 pens defective.

Ans: E
_________________
Source: We are an NYC based, in-person and online GMAT tutoring and prep company. We are the only GMAT provider in the world to guarantee specific GMAT scores with our flat-fee tutoring packages, or to publish student score increase rates. Our typical new-to-GMAT student score increase rate is 3-9 points per tutoring hour, the fastest in the world. Feel free to reach out!
GMAT Club Bot
If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2019, 09:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If the probability that there is exactly 1 defective pen in a box is 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne