GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 02:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:29) correct 19% (01:33) wrong based on 80 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be randomly chosen to perform a demonstration, how many of the children are left-handed?
1) The probability of no left-handed children being chosen is \(\frac{3}{7}\)
2) The number of left-handed children is less than the number of right handed children in the class

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

examPAL Representative
G
If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 03:47
Abhi077 wrote:
If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be randomly chosen to perform a demonstration, how many of the children are left-handed?
2) The number of left-handed children is less than the number of right handed children in the class

To help understand what we need to do, we'll translate the given data into equations.
This is a Precise approach.

We'll use 'x' to represent the number of left-handed children

(1) so 3/7 = prob of no left-handed = "ways to choose only right handed children" / "ways to choose children" =
(15-x)C2 / (15C2) = (15 - x)(14 - x) / (15*14).
This is complicated to solve precisely, but there is no need! There is at least one answer to this (quadratic) equation, and since changing x = "the number of left-handed children" must also change the probability of choosing a left-handed child, there can be only one applicable answer (the other one will be negative or too large or a fraction or something else irrelevant).
Sufficient.

(2) So x < 15 - x meaning that x < 7.5. With no additional information, x can be any of {1,2,3,4,5,6,7}.
Insufficient.

(A) is our answer.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 05:03
Thanks for the question, just wanted to check though ; if 3/7 is the probability of right handed, the probability for right handed is 4/7.

I had created an equation of 4/7 * 15C2 to get an answer and choose A.

While as solution given below by DavidExamPal is taking 15-x and deriving the answer, while am not saying it' wrong, I am just not sure why 4/7* 15C2 would be less preferable to the approach adopted by David.

Happy to be advised otherwise :)

Abhinav
CEO
CEO
D
Re: If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 17:19
Top Contributor
Abhi077 wrote:

Target question: How many of the children are left-handed?

Given: There are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be randomly chosen to perform a demonstration

Statement 1: The probability of no left-handed children being chosen is 3/7
P(no left-handers among those selected) = P(both right-handers among those selected)
So, P(both right-handers among those selected) = 3/7
In other words, P(1st selection is right-handed AND 2nd selection is right-handed) = 3/7
So, P(1st selection is right-handed) x P(2nd selection is right-handed) = 3/7

Let R = # of right-handers in the group

We can write: R/15 x (R - 1)/14 = 3/7
Simplify to get: (R² - R)/210 = 3/7
Cross multiply to get: 7(R² - R) = 3(210)
Divide both sides by 7 to get: R² - R = 3(30)
Or....: R² - R = 90
Then: R² - R - 90 = 0
Factor: (R - 10)(R + 9) = 0
So, EITHER R = 10 OR R = -9
Since R cannot be negative, we know that R = 10 (i.e., there are 10 right-handers)

If 10 children are right-handed, then 5 children are left-handed
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The number of left-handed children is less than the number of right handed children in the class
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: There are 4 left-handers and 11 right-handers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 4 left-handers
Case b: There are 5 left-handers and 10 right-handers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 5 left-handers
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 19:07
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Abhi077 wrote:

Target question: How many of the children are left-handed?

Given: There are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be randomly chosen to perform a demonstration

Statement 1: The probability of no left-handed children being chosen is 3/7
P(no left-handers among those selected) = P(both right-handers among those selected)
So, P(both right-handers among those selected) = 3/7
In other words, P(1st selection is right-handed AND 2nd selection is right-handed) = 3/7
So, P(1st selection is right-handed) x P(2nd selection is right-handed) = 3/7

Let R = # of right-handers in the group

We can write: R/15 x (R - 1)/14 = 3/7
Simplify to get: (R² - R)/210 = 3/7
Cross multiply to get: 7(R² - R) = 3(210)
Divide both sides by 7 to get: R² - R = 3(30)
Or....: R² - R = 90
Then: R² - R - 90 = 0
Factor: (R - 10)(R + 9) = 0
So, EITHER R = 10 OR R = -9
Since R cannot be negative, we know that R = 10 (i.e., there are 10 right-handers)

If 10 children are right-handed, then 5 children are left-handed
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The number of left-handed children is less than the number of right handed children in the class
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: There are 4 left-handers and 11 right-handers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 4 left-handers
Case b: There are 5 left-handers and 10 right-handers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 5 left-handers
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent

Thank You for your response and as always it' detailed and helpful.

Though, advice what I was seeking was an alternate approach , if you can confirm is correct or not.

Given, probability of no left-handed children being chosen is 3/7 in statement 1.

1). We can derive that prob. of both left handy' is 4/7
2). Because we know prob. is 4/7 and total students available, would you agree that this equation is correct - ( 3/7 divided by 15C2 )
3). The only reason am asking is to reassure myself that 3/7 can indeed be used to create such an equation above, knowing it is the ratio of actual students in class and may just be a fraction representation of the individual left/right handed students.

I hope I have been able to share my point of view, do let me know if you need me to clarify more.

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 05:16
Top Contributor
proabhinav wrote:
Hi Brent

Thank You for your response and as always it' detailed and helpful.

Though, advice what I was seeking was an alternate approach , if you can confirm is correct or not.

Given, probability of no left-handed children being chosen is 3/7 in statement 1.

1). We can derive that prob. of both left handy' is 4/7
2). Because we know prob. is 4/7 and total students available, would you agree that this equation is correct - ( 3/7 divided by 15C2 )
3). The only reason am asking is to reassure myself that 3/7 can indeed be used to create such an equation above, knowing it is the ratio of actual students in class and may just be a fraction representation of the individual left/right handed students.

I hope I have been able to share my point of view, do let me know if you need me to clarify more.

Thanks in advance.

We can't conclude point #1 ("We can derive that prob. of both left handy' is 4/7")
If we select 2 children, there are 4 possible outcomes:
A) 1st child is lefty and 2nd child is lefty
B) 1st child is lefty and 2nd child is righty
C) 1st child is righty and 2nd child is lefty
D) 1st child is righty and 2nd child is righty

We know that P(event D) = 3/7, which means P(A or B or C) = 4/7
In other words, we can't say that P(A) = 4/7 (as you have suggested)

From here, we must determine the individual probabilities of P(A), P(B) and P(C)

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 05:16

If there are 15 children in a gym class and 2 children are to be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap