Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, weโ€™ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
HI, please evaluate my profile for IIM A/B/C. Should I apply for ISB or not?
Background: GMAT-680(Q48,V35)
10th-82.6%
12th-82.2%
B.tech-75.6%,Mechanical and automation, Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology, GGSIPU Delhi.
Work ex: I work as a Senior Section Engineer ( Workshop) at Indian railways. My workshop undertakes the activity of Periodic Overhauling of Coaches. My job profile comprises of following activities:
โ€ข Supervising and managing the work of junior staff (around a team of 100 staffs is working under me which comprises of Technicians and Junior engineers)
โ€ข Planning man-power
โ€ข Planning and organizing production schedules
โ€ข Assessing resource requirements
โ€ข Selecting, ordering and purchasing material
โ€ข Ensuring health and safety regulation are met
โ€ข Determining quality control standards.
โ€ข Working on ERP of railways to control inventory.
My total work ex is of 5 years.
Extra curricular:
I have been awarded three times for extra ordinary work.
Hobbies:Guitar, read.
Kindly tell me whether there is a chance to make into IIM A/B/C with that score or not? Or advice me with some other plan. I will be very grateful to you

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
NIKHIL00712 wrote:
10th-82.6%
12th-82.2%
B.tech-75.6%,Mechanical and automation, Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology, GGSIPU Delhi.
Work ex: I work as a Senior Section Engineer ( Workshop) at Indian railways. My workshop undertakes the activity of Periodic Overhauling of Coaches. My job profile comprises of following activities:
โ€ข Supervising and managing the work of junior staff (around a team of 100 staffs is working under me which comprises of Technicians and Junior engineers)
โ€ข Planning man-power
Extra curricular:
Kindly tell me whether there is a chance to make into IIM A/B/C with that score or not? Or advice me with some other plan. I will be very grateful to you

Considering you're an engineering male, that too in the competitive pool of 5-8 years work-ex, I would suggest to improve your GMAT. You have time on your side. Try hitting 710-720 by R2/R3 and apply with your best score. Don't look only at batch avg GMAT as it's watered down by the diversity folks or 15y+ work-ex pool. For young engineering males, the avg score is much higher.

You would have a better chance at ISB considering a larger cohort there.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
NIKHIL00712 wrote:
10th-82.6%
12th-82.2%
โ€ข Planning man-power
Extra curricular:

NIKHIL00712

The bottom line is, that if a number of impressive profiles with better GMAT scores (especially quant scores) apply to IIM A/B/C, then your GMAT will have an impact on your selection. Your Quant is less than the 75th percentile and you come from the govt sector.

I am more optimistic about IIM B and C if you execute your application well and give an impressive performance in the interview.
I am not so optimistic about IIM A. Also, just want to add that I have seen IIM C reject some very strong applicants from the non-tech/non-IT industries who got into other IIMs, probably because they felt the applicant would not thrive at IIM C or feel happy with the post-MBA opportunities offered there.

There is a general notion regarding government or public sector jobs that they often lack autonomy, diverse responsibilities, and opportunities for rapid growth. Admissions committees may also hold this view (who can tell!). However, it is your responsibility to break through these stereotypes and demonstrate your unique qualities. It is not possible to give a complete answer by simply reading your profile description. Instead, show what makes you special and how you go above and beyond the expected. Emphasize your initiative, adaptability, and exceptional results. Highlight your eagerness to learn and grow by continuing your education, acquiring new skills, and tackling challenging projects. Remember that adcoms can only fully understand your profile by reviewing your application materials, such as resume, essays, and letters of recommendation. Make the most of these documents.

I can tell you that this bias is not unique to PSU folks. I, too, worked in R&D for a private company for five years straight, and the first question I was asked in my MBA interview at a Top global school was, "You may have worked in many countries, but your responsibilities have remained the same. How would you say you have evolved in your career? To be honest, I did not expect this question at the time and I felt underprepared. But now, with my experience, I can tell you that this should be the first question you need to prepare for, regardless of your background (government or private). For you this even more important as your work experience is about 5 years in the same domain.

Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
NIKHIL00712 wrote:
10th-82.6%
12th-82.2%
โ€ข Planning man-power
Extra curricular:

Hi NIKHIL00712,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Let us first clear your doubts in very clear terms -

1) Should I apply for ISB or not? -
Yes, you should. What is that you are planning to gain from not applying? We have known candidates from pure government background like you with GMAT scores of 670 studying in ISB. From Indian Railways, there was a candidate with GMAT 690 who graduated in last batch. So, there are numerous examples of people with same/similar background and GMAT score more or less equal to yours who have studied and are studying in ISB.

2) Kindly tell me whether there is a chance to make into IIM A/B/C with that score or not?
Yes, there are fair chances. In IIMC for instance, around 19 candidates out of about 80 candidates in current batch are from PSU/Govt background including one from Indian Railways. Almost same goes true with IIMA and B. The score you have got is slightly below average, but GMAT score alone doesnt determine your success, that you must be aware of, we hope.

3) Or advice me with some other plan
Apply to IIML and IIMI as well. Focus on cracking all colleges. You can decide which to join later on once you have admits. This is the time to focus on preparation.

4) please evaluate my profile for IIM A/B/C
Unless you have landed on moon or played international level sports, all profiles are almost same. Profile evaluation is highly overrated. Still, since you and other candidates persist on asking for that, here is the evaluation (just for sake of keeping you engaged, it serves no real purpose). Indian Railway workshop job is among the toughest that exist in India as of date. People who have seen that environment will understand that. But unfortunately, people dont know what a "workshop" is, right? We understand the pressure of management for targets, the workmen problems, group D employees regularly creating hurdles, material deficit to be managed and all the responsibilities thrown on the head of SSE. But you will need to make this statement in a way that other people can understand and appreciate. If you focus on doing that, let me assure, your profile will be one of the best ones going into the applications.

Bottom-line -
Apply to all colleges, you will definitely qualify somewhere if you sincerely work hard to achieve that. Believe in what you have done, translate your work into a story and narrative which people outside of your job can understand and you are good to go!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone.

Please help in evaluating my profile for INSEAD/IIM/ISB and please Guide me to Build my Profile stronger.
Background:
Age 34
GMAT โ€“ yet to take - 650 (Official practice test)
10th โ€“ 68%
12th โ€“ 64%
Graduation: B.Sc. Life Science (Specialization in Microbiology, Botany and chemistry) โ€“ 70 %
Post Graduation:
1. M.Sc. in Forensic Science โ€“ 75% distinction in 2010
2. M.A in English (Media & Communication) โ€“ 8 CGPA - 2012
Projects: 3 months Project in Central Forensic Science Laboratory โ€“ In Forensic Toxicology.
- To Extract the Poisons for the organs to find the Cause of Death.
Award: 3rd in All India Students Films Festival for my Documentary โ€“ NETED Online
Cleared: UGC- Junior Research Fellowship in Forensic Sciences in 2013
PhD Program:
Joined PhD Program in Osmania University as a research Scholar in Medical Entomology on 2013.
Published my Research Paper in International Journal of Entomology
Due to Personal problems, I was forced to take up the present Govt PSU Job in FCI in 2016.
In Between I was preparing for Civil services, couldnโ€™t Clear the UPSC Interview for 2 times.
Job Profile:
7years in Food Corporation of India as Technical Assistant till date.
- Maintaining in Pest free conditions and persevering the quality of food grains
- Quality Analysis.
- Movement Operations for food Grains
- QC compilations
- Changed to section like Stock accounts, Storage loss and transit loss, Industrial Labour- Relations
- Presently working in Legal Section
Extra curriculum:
Free lancing in Video Editing and Videography
Script Writing and making Short Films.
Teaching as a guest faculty for UPSC students in coaching institutes.
The motive for MBA: I really want to upgrade my career, change my domain to enhance my skills, and achieve financial advancement. I aim to actively participate in decision-making and move away from my current redundant job profile.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
dinesh_prabhu wrote:
Hi everyone.

Please help in evaluating my profile for INSEAD/IIM/ISB and please Guide me to Build my Profile stronger.
Background:
Age 34
10th โ€“ 68%
12th โ€“ 64%
Graduation: B.Sc. Life Science (Specialization in Microbiology, Botany and chemistry) โ€“ 70 %
Post Graduation:
Projects: 3 months Project in Central Forensic Science Laboratory โ€“ In Forensic Toxicology.
Award: 3rd in All India Students Films Festival for my Documentary โ€“ NETED Online
PhD Program:
Joined PhD Program in Osmania University as a research Scholar in Medical Entomology on 2013.
Due to Personal problems, I was forced to take up the present Govt PSU Job in FCI in 2016.
In Between I was preparing for Civil services, couldnโ€™t Clear the UPSC Interview for 2 times.
Job Profile:
- Maintaining in Pest free conditions and persevering the quality of food grains
- Quality Analysis.
- QC compilations
- Changed to section like Stock accounts, Storage loss and transit loss, Industrial Labour- Relations
Extra curriculum:
The motive for MBA: I really want to upgrade my career, change my domain to enhance my skills, and achieve financial advancement. I aim to actively participate in decision-making and move away from my current redundant job profile.

Hi dinesh_prabhu,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Quite hard hitting statements on your current job :) (Forced to take up, redundant job etc)

Lets state the facts here (these may be hard hitting, but need to be told) -->

1. GMAT 650 (which you have got in practice test) is not enough for the colleges you have mentioned. Realistically speaking, maybe for IIMI, but not for others that much. Improve your score to around 700 atleast to do some justice to your application.

2. You have been working in PSU for 7 years, you have tried for civil services for multiple times. Now you cant say its bad. Absolutely no. No one has forced you to take these decisions. You have to show the maturity to accept and appreciate whatever work you have done till now. What if after 5 years of MBA, you say even this is also not good. Admissions is less about profile, more about the kind of person they are admitting.

3. You have done Bsc, MSc, MA, partly PhD, worked in PSU, went into civil services interview for twice. This is more than enough to build ANY PROFILE. There is nothing you can do in few months that can "build your profile strong" on top of what you have done in 30+ years. You have decent extra curriculars and other activities, enough to get admitted anywhere.

SO, what you need to do now?

1. Improve your GMAT, forget about profile now, just focus on GMAT. Get a decent GMAT soon. Get out of the job which you dont like as soon as possible, the ticket being a good GMAT score to start with. Already round 1 is closing for the colleges this year. You are almost late for this year. Dont waste more years in a place which you clearly dont like. JUST GET A GOOD GMAT SCORE SOON!

2. In parallel, if time permits, build a strong narrative of why from strong academic inclination in the start of career to job in PSU and spending so much time to get into govt job and then moving into MBA and whatever your post MBA goals are. This will be naturally asked to you in all interviews. Be prepared with all the answers.

Best of luck! Getting UPSC civil services interview call twice is no mean feat, we understand that. It takes highly intelligent and motivated person to achieve that. You will definitely do good, no doubt there.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
thorats96 wrote:
Hi all,
I am considering to apply for IIM-C MBAEx & IIM A PGPX in Round 1.

Background- 31/M, Indian

10th : 89.68% ( MH state Board )
12th : 79.5% ( MH state Board )
Graduation : VNIT Nagpur - Mechanical - 6.31 / 10
GMAT : 700 (Q50, V33,IR 7, AWA 4.5)

WorkEx : 10Year 8Months ( till Mar'24 )

-- I am working with "Global Kitchen Appliance maker - Whirlpool of India Ltd" - 5Y 4M ( Factory 1 -42 months, Factory 2 - 22 Months )
-- I worked with "2 Wheelers Manufacturing giant - Honda 2 Wheelers" for initial 4Y 9M.
-- Work Profile : Supplier Base Quality Management, Supplier Quality Approvals, Supply Base Rationalization, Supply Chain Optimization, Supplier factory process audits, Cross functional teams close coordination, Quality Assurance, Scrap Reduction, etc.
-- Have worked in around 15 new models launches in last 10 years, Have worked with approx 300 different Suppliers with turnover ranging from a few crores to thousand crores.

Hobbies : Yoga, Cooking, Trekking, Reading, etc.
Very Actively managed Tech-fest events in college days ; Very actively participated in College social club 'Prayaas' for all 4 years.

Post MBA Goal : To work with Major Indian Manufacturing players & Contribute to India's Global Manufacturing Hub journey.

Hi thorats96,

Thanks for writing in.

You have a stable work profile with a number of talking points; the good part is that your experience links up with your proposed goals. While the GPA is low and the GMAT score hovers just under the average, we feel that a set of compelling essays that aptly discuss your strengths and tie them up with your aspirations will give you a strong chance at making it to your target schools.

Should you wish to discuss this in detail, please feel free to reach out to us.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Please help in evaluating my profile for the 2024-25 batch of ISB/IIMs PGPX-EPGP

10th: 91% (CBSE BOARD)
12th: 89 (CBSE board)
BTech: Electronics from a normal college (67%)
GMAT: 760
work exp: 7 years in Ministry of Defence, Govt of India as a Gp โ€˜Bโ€™ Officer
Handled the HR related work for almost 1600 employees working in various offices all over India.
Received commendation from the Head of Organisation in the first yr of job

Extracurricular :
1- worked for NGO during college time
2. Part of musical club in the college

Open to even foreign 01 Yr MBA if possible

I already got my profile evaluated earlier...I gave my GMAT exam and got 760 now...I just want to know how much chance do I have of getting admission and further getting a good placement through the business school considering my government job background....
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello sumitsarkar420

Excellent profile, what are you waiting for?
Acads are decent, GMAT is off the charts, work ex not only shows strong potential for story telling, but adds a lot of diversity as well (due to the nature of your work). This is actually a strength, don't worry.
You must now focus on the following to build strong essays-
1. Work Ex- Make sure you impress the adcom with your career progress and achievements (keep in mind that awards and promotions are not achievements, they are the results of your achievements, the impact you had on the business of your company).
2. Diversity is high anyway due to the work background but the extracurricular can help. The key is similar to work ex- talk about impact and accomplishments here. More than a laundry list of activities the focus should be in proving how your experience in these activities will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
3. Lastly, the main element missing is your career goals. These must be clear and organic. To make your narrative strong, talk about your long term goals and your personal drive/motivation behind these goals, the short term goals immediately post MBA, what roles and companies you wish to target and how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve those goals- what new skills will it add, what existing skills will it build upon. This should make for a comprehensive narrative.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
+918452954888 (WApp for a quick response)

sumitsarkar420 wrote:
Please help in evaluating my profile for the 2024-25 batch of ISB/IIMs PGPX-EPGP

10th: 91% (CBSE BOARD)
12th: 89 (CBSE board)
BTech: Electronics from a normal college (67%)
GMAT: 760
work exp: 7 years in Ministry of Defence, Govt of India as a Gp โ€˜Bโ€™ Officer
Handled the HR related work for almost 1600 employees working in various offices all over India.
Received commendation from the Head of Organisation in the first yr of job

Extracurricular :
1- worked for NGO during college time
2. Part of musical club in the college

Open to even foreign 01 Yr MBA if possible

I already got my profile evaluated earlier...I gave my GMAT exam and got 760 now...I just want to know how much chance do I have of getting admission and further getting a good placement through the business school considering my government job background....
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello thorats96

Acads are decent, GMAT is just about par.
Work ex shows strong potential for story telling, but adds diversity as well (due to the nature of your work).
1. Work Ex- Make sure you impress the adcom with your career progress and achievements (keep in mind that awards and promotions are not achievements, they are the results of your achievements, the impact you had on the business of your company).
2. Diversity is high anyway due to the work background but the extracurricular can help. The key is similar to work ex- talk about impact and accomplishments here. More than a laundry list of activities the focus should be in proving how your experience in these activities will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
3. Lastly, the main element missing is your career goals are not specific enough. Currently you are just stating that you wish to remain in the same industry and grow organically, then what is the need of an MBA? I am not saying you must change the industry, but to make your narrative strong, talk about your long term goals and your personal drive/motivation behind these goals, the short term goals immediately post MBA, what roles and companies you wish to target and how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve those goals- what new skills will it add, what existing skills will it build upon. This should make for a comprehensive narrative.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

thorats96 wrote:
Hi all,
I am considering to apply for IIM-C MBAEx & IIM A PGPX in Round 1.

Background- 31/M, Indian

10th : 89.68% ( MH state Board )
12th : 79.5% ( MH state Board )
Graduation : VNIT Nagpur - Mechanical - 6.31 / 10
GMAT : 700 (Q50, V33,IR 7, AWA 4.5)

WorkEx : 10Year 8Months ( till Mar'24 )

-- I am working with "Global Kitchen Appliance maker - Whirlpool of India Ltd" - 5Y 4M ( Factory 1 -42 months, Factory 2 - 22 Months )
-- I worked with "2 Wheelers Manufacturing giant - Honda 2 Wheelers" for initial 4Y 9M.
-- Work Profile : Supplier Base Quality Management, Supplier Quality Approvals, Supply Base Rationalization, Supply Chain Optimization, Supplier factory process audits, Cross functional teams close coordination, Quality Assurance, Scrap Reduction, etc.
-- Have worked in around 15 new models launches in last 10 years, Have worked with approx 300 different Suppliers with turnover ranging from a few crores to thousand crores.

Hobbies : Yoga, Cooking, Trekking, Reading, etc.
Very Actively managed Tech-fest events in college days ; Very actively participated in College social club 'Prayaas' for all 4 years.

Post MBA Goal : To work with Major Indian Manufacturing players & Contribute to India's Global Manufacturing Hub journey.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello dinesh_prabhu

Acads are decent, GMAT needs to be brought closer to par (say a 700) in your case.
Work ex shows strong potential for story telling, but adds diversity as well (due to the nature of your work).
2. Diversity is high anyway due to the work and education background but the extracurricular can help. The key is similar to work ex- talk about impact and accomplishments here. More than a laundry list of activities the focus should be in proving how your experience in these activities will help you add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
3. Lastly, the main element missing is your career goals are not specific enough. Currently you are just stating that you wish to 'enhance your skills', but that does not answer the need of an MBA. To make your narrative strong, talk about your long term goals and your personal drive/motivation behind these goals, the short term goals immediately post MBA, what roles and companies you wish to target and how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve those goals- what new skills will it add, what existing skills will it build upon. This should make for a comprehensive narrative.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

dinesh_prabhu wrote:
Hi everyone.

Background:
Age 34
10th โ€“ 68%
12th โ€“ 64%
Post Graduation:
PhD Program:
Job Profile:
- Quality Analysis.
- QC compilations
Extra curriculum:

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
dinesh_prabhu wrote:
Hi everyone.

Background:
Age 34
10th โ€“ 68%
12th โ€“ 64%
Post Graduation:
PhD Program:
Job Profile:
- Quality Analysis.
- QC compilations
Extra curriculum:

๐Ÿ‘‹ Hey dinesh_prabhu,

Here is a detailed profile evaluation for you!

โžก๏ธ Your profile is multifaceted, blending scientific, creative, and operational expertise.

โžก๏ธ Academic & Professional Diversity: Holding dual master's degrees in Forensic Science and English (Media & Communication) underscores versatility. Your involvement in a substantial forensic toxicology project and a research endeavor in medical entomology speaks to in-depth scientific commitment.

โžก๏ธ Achievements & Recognitions: Earning a distinction in your M.Sc., clearing the UGC-JRF in Forensic Sciences, and being recognized at the All India Students Films Festival amplifies your academic and creative prowess.

โžก๏ธ Consistency & Resilience: Despite personal setbacks, you showcased determination. Your UPSC preparation and reaching the interview stage twice is commendable, even if not successful.

โžก๏ธ Work Experience: Your 7-year tenure with Food Corporation of India in varying capacities demonstrates adaptability. From technical roles focusing on quality control to roles in legal sections, it's evident you have diverse exposure within a single organization.

โžก๏ธ Extracurriculars: Freelancing in video editing and scriptwriting displays creativity, while teaching UPSC aspirants highlights mentorship and giving back to the community.

โžก๏ธ Areas of Improvement: Your GMAT score, based on the practice test, is on the lower side for INSEAD/IIM/ISB. Improving it would enhance your chances. Your clarity on pursuing an MBA to escape redundancy and achieve career progression is crucial. Crafting a compelling narrative that bridges your diverse background to future goals will be key.

โžก๏ธ Concern: Your age might be a point of concern for INSEAD as their average age is around 29, but do not worry as you are eligible for an executive MBA program.

โžก๏ธ Suggestion: For /IIM/ISB, focus on aiming for a score of 690 and tying your unique journey to your MBA aspirations as these 2 schools are perfect when it comes to your profile. Also, with a 650 GMAT you can still aim for ISB. Your diverse experiences can enrich class discussions, but articulation in essays and interviews is vital.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
NIKHIL00712 wrote:
10th-82.6%
12th-82.2%
โ€ข Planning man-power
Extra curricular:

๐Ÿ‘‹ Hey NIKHIL00712,

Your profile is characterized by strong academics, notable work experience, and a unique role in a critical sector:

๐Ÿ‘‰ Academic Performance: Your consistent scores through B.Tech demonstrate a solid academic foundation. The GMAT score of 680, while competitive, is around the average for IIMs A/B/C and slightly below the average for ISB, but can still be considered.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Professional Experience: Your role at Indian Railways is distinctive. Senior Section Engineer in a workshop responsible for overhauling coaches is significant, especially when supervising a team of 100. The wide range of responsibilities from man-power planning to quality control standards adds depth to your profile.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Extra-curricular & Awards: Being recognized three times for exceptional work underscores your dedication and impact in your role. Playing the guitar and reading adds a personal dimension to your profile.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Analysis: Your unique work experience in the public sector, coupled with strong academics, positions you as a differentiated candidate for IIM A/B/C. However, given the competitive nature of admissions, a GMAT score closer to or exceeding 700 would bolster your chances.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Advice: Consider retaking the GMAT to improve your score and aim for a 690+. Your profile is well-suited for IIMs and ISB, but a higher GMAT will strengthen your application. If aiming for this year, ensure your essays and recommendations capture the essence and impact of your work, and prepare diligently for interviews. Given your unique profile, exploring other top B-schools in India and globally would also be beneficial.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
RiyaJain69 wrote:
Hello, experts. Please evaluate my profile.
GMAT: 650 (Q47, V34, IR 3 ๐Ÿ™)
Industry: Journalism
- Headed city desk of a national English daily
- Served as co-founder of a media-tech startup, whose unique concept made its founder win Ashoka Fellowship and TED Fellowship
- Won award for business journalism in my journalism college's alumni awards
- Won a fellowship and was shortlisted for a prestigious fellowship
- Have been doing deep-dive investigative journalism of late. One story forced a government department to quit imposing an illegal technology on people. The other, about a bank fraud, has triggered an RBI investigation into the bank and follow-up stories by other media houses. (More such fireworks will be published in the coming months.)
- Have worked in leadership capacity in two orgs. and in managerial capacity in the startup, from writing policies to establishing partnerships with other organisations to hiring and crisis management. Anchoring special projects.
- Have ghost-written a course on media literacy for college students and ghost-edited a book on financial frauds.

Extra-curricular
- Music: I had quit my full time job in 2014 to start a band with my friend. One of our songs was shortlisted for the now-reputed Radio City Freedom Awards. One track selected as Track of the Week in an international EDM star's record label. Two songs released worldwide as a demo project file with a music making software. Some top DJs in the world have played our tracks in their set.
- Not sure if school credentials matter but I've extensively taken part in and won in activities such as elocution, extempore, poetry recital, storytelling, debate etc. Have even represented my school at regional meets twice.
- Socially, I'm active in the civic affairs of my locality. I'm the one who gets work done (cleaning, repairs) by our government authorities by coordinating with the local councillor or the municipality or by filing complaints at the CM helpline.

Now, I'm aware that 650 is a poor GMAT score, more so when seen with my IR score of 3. But does my profile compensate for these shortcomings? Should I apply for round 1 of IIM A, B, C with this score or is it pointless with my GMAT score? Also, I have poor score in class 12 (59.8%) and graduation (BBA-59.9%). B grade in my PG studies in journalism. I'm not dumb, just that parents (IITian father) beat me up to force me to opt science at +2 level. I just won't study what I never wanted to study, so naturally the score tanked and so did my spirit. Aimlessly and helplessly, got into BBA college. When I finally got into journalism, years of emotional abuse got to me and I was diagnosed with clinical depression. From struggling with suicidal thoughts, I'm proud I passed with a B grade. I've helped my journalism college by publishing stories of their students, by helping them get an interview call for placement in my companies. They proudly showcase my work on their social media. I'm an asset to whichever college takes me. I want IIM A.

Pardon my oversharing. Kinda disappointed with my low verbal score. My English is good! Telling all this to impress upon you that my extra curricular is good and leadership experience is good. Should I apply with 650 or try again?

Sorry for the long read. Travelled to another city for the GMAT. Everything is closed here because of some strike. I'm hungry and thirsty in a hot and humid place. I must stop. Sorry and thank you!

๐Ÿ‘‹ Hey RiyaJain69,

Your profile exhibits significant achievements and resilience. With a background in journalism, you bring a unique perspective to any MBA cohort. Key highlights include:

๐Ÿ‘‰ Professional Accomplishments: Leading a city desk at a national English daily, co-founding a recognized media-tech startup, and deep-dive investigative journalism that prompted real-world changes are all significant achievements. Your contributions to journalism education via ghost-writing and editing further enrich your profile.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Extra-curricular Achievements: Your foray into music, particularly with songs that gained international recognition, and your active role in civic affairs showcase versatility and a multi-dimensional profile.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Leadership and Managerial Roles: Your leadership capacities in various organizations, coupled with experiences in policy-writing, partnerships, and hiring, are in line with the leadership ethos of top B-schools.

Areas for improvement:
๐Ÿ‘‰ GMAT Score: A 650, especially with an IR score of 3, is on the lower end for top-tier schools like IIM A, B, C. Your academic scores also pose a challenge.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Personal Challenges: While personal struggles like battling depression after enduring emotional abuse provide context to your academic performance, itโ€™s essential to present this in a way that showcases resilience without overshadowing your achievements.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Given the strength of your profile, you could be considered, but the GMAT score may act as a hurdle. If IIM A is your aim, consider retaking the GMAT and aim for a 680+ to enhance your chances. A compelling application and essays emphasising your unique value and experiences can make a difference. If you opt to apply with the 650, ensure the rest of your application is impeccable.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
I am considering to apply for IIM-C MBAEx, IIM A PGPX, ISB PGP.
Background- 26/M, Indian

10th : 10 CGPA CBSE
12th : 93% CBSE
Graduation : IIT Dhanbad 7.7/10
GMAT : 690 (Q50, V32,IR 6, AWA 4)

WorkEx : 5Years 10Months ( till Mar'24 )

-- Working as a Software Engineer in an MNC,
-- Lead a couple of projects
-- Working with Product and project managers closely
-- Youngest one on the team to Achieve the Employee Award
-- Youngest member of the current team to lead a heavy tech stack migration project

Hobbies : Trekking, Cooking
Active NGO member for 2 years, Toastmasters club member also help SAA post in same, Active member for spreading awareness for organ donation

Post MBA Goal : Product Management -> Product Lead -> CTO for a Tech firm. Contributing positively to the country's tech industry which has been burdened with petty regionalism and non technical managers.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Abhinav,

Reattempting the GMAT would be a good idea. A higher GMAT score would support your application. Align your work experience, goals and hobbies for a strong story.

All the best!

AbhinavSrivastav wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Background- 26/M, Indian

-- Youngest member of the current team to lead a heavy tech stack migration project

Active NGO member for 2 years, Toastmasters club member also help SAA post in same, Active member for spreading awareness for organ donation

Post MBA Goal : Product Management -> Product Lead -> CTO for a Tech firm. Contributing positively to the country's tech industry which has been burdened with petty regionalism and non technical managers.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhinavSrivastav wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Background- 26/M, Indian

๐Ÿ‘‹ Hey AbhinavSrivastav,

Strengths:
โžก๏ธ Academic Foundation: Being academically excellent throughout your school and with an IIT Dhanbad degree, showcases your brilliance and dedication towards education. ๐ŸŒŸ
โžก๏ธ Robust Work Experience: Nearing 6 years in software ๐Ÿ’ป with leadership roles, especially being the youngest to lead critical projects, highlights potential. ๐Ÿš€
โžก๏ธ Holistic ECs: NGO involvement ๐Ÿคฒ, Toastmasters participation ๐ŸŽค, and efforts in organ donation awareness โค๏ธ emphasize well-roundedness.
โžก๏ธ Clear Career Goals: Your roadmap from Product Management to CTO ๐ŸŽฏ is logical and aligned with your experience.

Areas for Improvement:
โžก๏ธ GMAT Score: While 690 is decent and your schools can be targeted๐Ÿ“Š, remember, it is just 1/4th of your application as the rest depends on how you craft a compelling application.
โžก๏ธ More Specific Impact: Detailing your contribution in projects ๐Ÿ“ˆ and precisely how you've led can offer more insight into your leadership and technical abilities. ๐Ÿ”ง
โžก๏ธ Quantify Achievements: Provide metrics. E.g., โ€œOversaw a tech stack migration that saved 100+ man-hours annually.โ€
โžก๏ธ Detail Extracurricular Leadership: Specify your NGO role, like โ€œLed a team in an NGO, impacting 200+ children.โ€
โžก๏ธ Stress on Leadership Roles: In your applications, emphasize leadership roles ๐ŸŒ in both professional and extracurricular settings. This will add a significant advantage to your profile. ๐ŸŒฑ

Target Schools:
โžก๏ธ Dream: ISB PGP ๐Ÿ›๏ธ, IIM A PGPX ๐Ÿ›, NUS MBA ๐Ÿ›๏ธ, INSEAD ๐Ÿ›, Nanyang MBA ๐Ÿ›๏ธ
โžก๏ธ Competitive: IIM-C MBAEx ๐Ÿซ IIM Bangalore EPGP ๐Ÿซ, IIM L PGPWE ๐Ÿซ

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43