Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: improving my verbal-17 score in 2 months [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi grv343,

To start, a 750 is just about the 99th percentile, meaning that 99% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). By definition, that makes that score goal quite challenging. Thankfully, NO Business School in the world requires a score that high, so it's important to remember that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are almost certainly NOT the same score.

Assuming that this 530 practice CAT score is relatively recent (and accurate) - and that you want to score 700+ on the GMAT - then you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections to hit that score goal. That work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though, so you might need to push back your Test Date. While the OG Books are great sources for practice questions, they were not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' to the GMAT, so you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) When did you take this last CAT?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi grv343,

To start, a 750 is just about the 99th percentile, meaning that 99% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). By definition, that makes that score goal quite challenging. Thankfully, NO Business School in the world requires a score that high, so it's important to remember that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are almost certainly NOT the same score.

Assuming that this 530 practice CAT score is relatively recent (and accurate) - and that you want to score 700+ on the GMAT - then you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections to hit that score goal. That work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though, so you might need to push back your Test Date. While the OG Books are great sources for practice questions, they were not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' to the GMAT, so you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) When did you take this last CAT?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

1.4 days back
2.around 4-5hours
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi grv343,

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
grv343 wrote:
how can i improve my verbal score in 2 months?
i got verbal-17 on a gmatprep exampack test yesterday.
please help..!!i got 2 months in hand,how should i prepare?

Hi grv343,

Taking another GMAT PREP course may help you solidify your concepts. In my opinion E-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live are both amazing courses that can really help you improve your scores.

However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should focus on too many different things on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses If you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium (included in both the courses mentioned above). It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot