It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132742 [3], given: 12360

In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:51) correct 37% (00:57) wrong based on 968 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT weekly questions

In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984

A. income; and forty-four percent in 1984
B. income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
C. income, and in 1984 forty-four percent
D. income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure
E. income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132742 [3], given: 12360

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132742 [2], given: 12360

Re: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions

In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984

To establish the clearest comparison between circumstances in 1973 and those in 1984, a separate clause is needed to describe each year. Choices A and C, in failing to use separate clauses, are too elliptical and therefore unclear. Choice A also incorrectly uses and and a semicolon to separate an independent clause and a phrase. Choice D incorrectly separates two independent clauses with a comma; moreover, the placement of in 1984 is awkward and confusing. In choice E, that refers illogically to income, thereby producing the misstatement that income rather than mortgage payments rose to forty-four percent in 1984. Choice B is best; two properly constructed clauses that clearly express the comparison are separated by a semicolon.

Answer: B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132742 [2], given: 12360

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1898 [1], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
I was between B and C.

I selected C. Actually I was much influenced by following question and I thought concise elliptical construction will work here as well.
according-to-public-health-officials-in-1998-massachusetts-59886.html

Further I rejected option B, because I thought there is no clear antecedent for the term the figure. I thought mortgage payment represented some portion is more symbolic than numeric.

I am not convinced that it is necessary to express these ideas in separate clauses and elliptical construction in C is not acceptable.

Experts could you please help understand me that why B is preferred to C.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1898 [1], given: 229

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 290 [2], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I am not convinced that it is necessary to express these ideas in separate clauses and elliptical construction in C is not acceptable.

there are two reasons
firstly the parallelism is absurd here
secondly the construction "in 1984 forty-four percent" is just plain wrong !! .you cannot have a "hung up construction "forty-four percent" by itself . either u have to have "forty-four percent of "something" OR u have to refer back so some "figure" as is done in option B

also note that "ellipses" does not allow u the kind of construction that u r trying to have in option C .you cannot cherry pick a "construction" and put it as per ur need as u seem to be doing in option C
have a look as how ur ellipses wud look like in option C : In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income, and in 1984 [ mortgage payments represented] forty-four percent [of an average thirty-year-old male's income]

Kudos [?]: 290 [2], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 10:05
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

there are two reasons
secondly the construction "in 1984 forty-four percent" is just plain wrong !! .you cannot have a "hung up construction "forty-four percent" by itself . either u have to have "forty-four percent of "something" OR u have to refer back so some "figure" as is done in option B

also note that "ellipses" does not allow u the kind of construction that u r trying to have in option C .you cannot cherry pick a "construction" and put it as per ur need as u seem to be doing in option C
have a look as how ur ellipses wud look like in option C : In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income, and in 1984 [ mortgage payments represented] forty-four percent [of an average thirty-year-old male's income]

I agree. C is ending abruptly, not mentioning what is forty four percent .

b it is.

GMAT 2014....my dream=750 :)
Please click on "Kudos" if post is helpful

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

GPA: 2.71
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 01:48
PiyushK wrote:
I was between B and C.

I selected C. Actually I was much influenced by following question and I thought concise elliptical construction will work here as well.

Further I rejected option B, because I thought there is no clear antecedent for the term the figure. I thought mortgage payment represented some portion is more symbolic than numeric.

Just a thought, shouldnt it be "this" figure was 44% in 1984

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 19:03
PiyushK wrote:
I was between B and C.

Can we not reject the option C here only because it has ", and" . A comma and word "and" do not usually go hand in hand. Am I right in my thinking?

GMAT 2014....my dream=750 :)
Please click on "Kudos" if post is helpful

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 12:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 19:54
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male’s income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

(B) income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
(C) income, and in 1984 forty-four percent

I have opted for B.
Ron explanation:-
"And" doesn't provide the stark contrast we want to emphasise.

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 09:31
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions

very hard.
why C is wrong?
C make parallelism error. consider:
the pay presented 31 percent in 1973 and 44 percent in 1984
this is correct because two ideas are in paralel form. but in choice C, two ideas are not in paralell form

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 11:08
I do not understand why B is correct at all!

There is a rule that states a semi coln is only used when there are two independent clauses together.

Question: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

If we delete everything before the semi colon, to result in only... and forty-four percent in 1984.
The second clause of the sentance has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

We could be talking about anything from the change in number of harvested oranges to the change in number of teeth pulled out by a dentist.

Can somebody please expain why I am wrong, regarding my semi-colon rule.

Thanks in advance

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 19:20
Kesterton2017 wrote:
I do not understand why B is correct at all!

There is a rule that states a semi coln is only used when there are two independent clauses together.

Question: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

If we delete everything before the semi colon, to result in only... and forty-four percent in 1984.
The second clause of the sentance has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

We could be talking about anything from the change in number of harvested oranges to the change in number of teeth pulled out by a dentist.

Can somebody please expain why I am wrong, regarding my semi-colon rule.

Thanks in advance

Yes, in choice A, if we delete everything befor the semi colon, the remaining is meaningless. That's why the choice A is incorrect.

In choice B, the full sentence is:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent

The second part is: In 1984 the figure was forty-four percent.

"The figure" here clearly refers to the representative of mortgage payments in an average thirty-year-old male's income. Hence, this part is full meaning.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1005 [0], given: 60

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 06:30
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

In 1973………….
Mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty year-old male’s income;
And forty- four percent in 1984.

Two time scenarios (1973 and 1984)
Subject is mortgage payments.

1) A semi-colon is used to connect two independent clauses.
2) Comma+ FANBOYS is used to connect two independent clauses
• Here semi-colon+ FANBOYS is used to connect independent clause to a phrase
• ‘and forty-four percent in 1984’- it is not even a clause as it has no subject and no verb.

A. income; and forty-four percent in 1984 (OUT)
B. income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent (CORRECT as mentioned in the reasoning above)
C. income, and in 1984 forty-four percent (COMMA+ AND CONSTRUCTION IS NOT CORRECT HERE)
D. income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure (TOO WORDY AND IS NOT CONNECTED PROPERLY)
E. income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984 (THAT refers to income of thirty year old male which is non-sensical as it did not increase.)

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:43
nitz19arg wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

there are two reasons

I agree. C is ending abruptly, not mentioning what is forty four percent .

b it is.

can I say that the ellipsis must be one phrase and can not be two phrases at two places.?

pls , explain more on this point. thanks.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:56
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

there are two reasons

in the ellipsis pattern, the cut off part must be one phrase, not two phrases at two places.
consider
I learn English in 2000 and (I learn) French in 2002
I learn English well in 2000 year and (I learn) French (well) in 2002 year

the first sentence is correct, the second sentence is incorrect.

is my thinking correct?

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 17:12
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions

Hi mikemcgarry

Hope you are keeping well.
Is there any grammatical error in C? If not, would you be kind enough to explain why B is preferred?

Thanks and regards
RZS

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 115

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 11:14
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT weekly questions

The answer is B
A the use of semicolon is to join two independent sentences here what follows semicolon is a fragment .
B Correct it is an independent sentence
C gain wrong wrong parallelism
D run on it is written rather awkwardly
E now this choice might seem perfectly correct grammatically but there is a meaning error .It was not the income that rose but mortgage payments.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 04:13
why c is wrong
it takes me a few hours to think.
i have one idea.

in eliptical pattern, the cut off part must be one phrase. it can not be two phrases at two places. consider

I learn english and french.
the cut off part is one phrase, "i learn french'

i learn english with my friend in 2000 and she French her friend 2001
the cut off part is " learn...with...in"
this is impossible. the cut off part is 3 phrases in 3 places.

our problem in c is similar

do you think so?

did i invent something from gmat questions.?

Re: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2017, 04:13

In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap