GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
VP
VP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 21:31
Top Contributor
S995 wrote:
Hello GyanOne!

I have been following your blogs and posts for some time now, and find them super useful. Kudos, and thank you!

I am considering applying to ISB via the Early Entry Option this year and would be grateful if you could spare some time to evaluate my profile and offer some feedback.

The basics:
Indian female, non-IT (I am a graphic designer), 23 years old

Education:
10th ICSE- 91.25% from one of Bangalore's reputed schools
12th (ISC Arts)- 96.25% from the same school, school topper
Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication and Strategic Branding from Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology CGPA- 8.42/10

GRE: 312 in first attempt (Q 150- 38% and V 162- 87%)
I haven't studied Math in 7 years now, hence the poor Quant score.
Currently enrolled in GRE Coaching and working towards a better score.

Work Experience and Industry Exposure:
2 college internships at communications/creative agencies. Both in Mumbai. Worked on Dabur, Viber Film Festival, Mahindra Auto, Loreal at the first.
Second internship I was hired to work exclusively on the HUL account for their fashion and lifestyle products. If I remember correctly, this account was the largest retainer in the industry at the time.

Have freelanced consistently right from the first year of college, working for small/medium sized companies designing for social media, branding and marketing communications. Clients have been from a range of industries- a legal firm, content writers, home automation services, Japanese product design magazine, etc.

Presently have 11 months of work ex under my belt working in design and brand management at a small/medium sized executive education services company. Secured a promotion within 9 months of being here. Was promoted to leading Communications for the Data Science domain. Have led small teams, and worked across functions right from the start. Have successfully organized 2 events for 200+ people each. Tried my hand at Sales and realized I was decent at it. Have regularly interviewed senior managers, technical managers at Fortune 500s and interacted with leading CxOs while on the job. Worked with the press and media and basic PR exercises.

Leadership:
- Was Research, Marketing and Communications Student Head for a leading college project that received prominent media and press coverage
- History of leadership in School: School Cultural Secretary (12th grade), House Vice Captain, Sr. Prefect, Jr. Prefect
- Girl Guides (in School): Company Leader, and Asst. Company Leader and Patrol Leader before that

Extra Curriculars:
- Presently digital volunteer for CRY (Communications Design)
- Passionate about working with children: Recently co-conducted a civic awareness walk for 15 international school students, volunteered as teaching assistant at Spastic Society of Karnataka for one month last year
- Consistently been a part of the college's PR, Marketing and Logistics teams for a range of key annual events
- Pro Bono Design Projects in the past for NGOs and non profits (right through college): AIESEC, Nehru Bal Sangh, Storybook Me (encouraging reading among children in rural India), Project Pragati (transgender community emancipation)
- Well travelled, having visited a number of countries and leading cities
- Fitness and Yoga enthusiast
- Caricatures and Cartooning
- Fine Arts (charcoal portraits and watercolour nature studies) and Tanjore Painting
- Girl Guides (active member and leader for 6 years, from grade 7 to 12 in school)
- Member of the School Editorial Committee, House Council, House Props Committee (Head)

Achievements:
- School topper (ISC Arts)- secured 10 academic awards including special annual awards sponsored by alumni.
- Rashtrapati Girl Guide- National Award, the highest level of girl guiding attainable in the country and awarded by the President of India
- Participated in State Level Girl Guiding events, led the troupe in their march past at the Annual Republic Day Celebrations and received the salute from the then Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Recipient the School's first ever Best Girl Guide Award
- Co-organized the School's first MUN
- Organized several large scale School events

Strengths- Excellent command over English and very strong oral and written communication skills.

Post MBA- Brand Management, ideally FMCG. Ultimately want to hold a senior Marketing position

Hi S995,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the GyanOne thread.

We are glad you go through and enjoy our blog posts. We have literally dozens of posts now on success stories for top schools, including those for ISB, where our success rate continues to be close to 100% (with 100% for the EEO option still), though ISB admissions were a lot more competitive last year.

The Early Entry Option that you are applying to is a great opportunity. As applicants taking this option don't have much work experience, leadership and extra-curricular achievements begin to play a significant role, and both are areas you are strong in. However, please keep in mind that EEO admissions are more competitive in general than regular PGP admissions, so a strong test score is a must. As of now, your test score (312 on the GRE) is insufficient; you should be looking at a 10+ point increase.

Your graphic design background will be a huge plus for you, if you can use it in the right way. The communications/creative aspects that you have worked, and the industry exposure you have gained will be positives in your app. Working on the data aspect is positive and a differentiator as well, though it will need to be seen which context the data was deployed in. Organizing events doesn't count for much (not to be focused on), and while the Sales exposure is good, be wary of claiming expertise across too many things in too little time. It could make you seem like a dilettante. Again, can fully comment only after going through each activity in detail - providing general advice here.

Your academics are strong, but your GRE needs fixing. Leadership and ECA are very strong and will act as differentiators. Please note that one activity/achievement can be used at only one place, i.e. as a leadership achievement or as an award etc - resist the temptation to use at more than one place.

At this point, your priorities must be clear - work on the app asap once it opens to build an early advantage (the deadlines this year have been brought forward - Sep 15 is the first one and the one you should be looking at) and enhance the GRE score. If you can do that, you certainly have the potential to excel and find yourself at ISB in the future.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 20:33
Top Contributor
ISB's online application for admissions to the PGP Class of 2020 is now open.

Key aspects to note:
- Two mandatory essays and one optional essay (mandatory for reapplicants; optional for first-time applicants)
- The deadlines have been changed - now they are Sep 15 for R1 and Dec 15 for R2
- The first essay has been changed and the second one has been tweaked too. Both essays are similar to essay topics that ISB has used in the past. The first one is very similar to essay 1 from the 2013-14 application, and the second one is almost identical to the goals essay from the 2014-15 application.
- For the first time ever, ISB has introduced a 'language proficiency' field, that requires applicants to submit an IELTS or TOEFL score, if the medium of instruction for their college education was not English. This option is mandatory if this condition is met, irrespective of nationality.

ISB PGP essay topics for 2018-19:
Essay 1: At ISB we value diversity as it enhances both the in-class and out of class learning experience. Tell us how would you contribute to the same? (400 words max)

Essay 2: Enrolling in a Business School is an important career decision. Critically look at your career to date, the choices you have made, the key influences behind those choices, your goals for the future and how do you think ISB's PGP can help you in achieving your goals? (300 words max)

ISB PGP deadlines for 2018-19
Round 1: Deadline 15 Sep, 2018. Interviews for R1 from Oct 1 to Nov 7, 2018.
Round 2: Deadline 15 Dec, 2018. Interviews for R2 from Jan 1, 2019 to Feb 7, 2019.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 19:44
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you for the feedback on my profile. I am currently very stuck, and would appreciate your input.

I complete 1 year of work ex at my current organization on 31st July 2018 (a month from now). I have been unhappy in my job for some months now, simply because I see myself stagnating creatively. The executive education domain doesn't allow for much in terms of creativity. However, I realize that quitting would negatively harm my application.

However, one of my most reliable former freelance clients has just approached me with an offer. They want to diversify, and set up a new business- high quality fashion prints, and would like me to lead the efforts. They are willing to invest, and want me to take charge of the entire creation and execution- I'll be allowed to hire my own team and consultants as needed. It is an exciting offer, but there is an enormous risk involved (as is with all startups).

I can't apply in R1 (Sept 15) if I quit my job and take the other offer- I don't think that would look good on my application at all. On the other hand, if I quit and take the offer, and apply in R2, the startup will still be in nascent stages so I may or may not be able to show tangible impact.

Should I just stick to my current job, despite it not being what I want to do in the long run?

I have absolutely no idea what to do.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:38
Top Contributor
S995 wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you for the feedback on my profile. I am currently very stuck, and would appreciate your input.

I complete 1 year of work ex at my current organization on 31st July 2018 (a month from now). I have been unhappy in my job for some months now, simply because I see myself stagnating creatively. The executive education domain doesn't allow for much in terms of creativity. However, I realize that quitting would negatively harm my application.

However, one of my most reliable former freelance clients has just approached me with an offer. They want to diversify, and set up a new business- high quality fashion prints, and would like me to lead the efforts. They are willing to invest, and want me to take charge of the entire creation and execution- I'll be allowed to hire my own team and consultants as needed. It is an exciting offer, but there is an enormous risk involved (as is with all startups).

I can't apply in R1 (Sept 15) if I quit my job and take the other offer- I don't think that would look good on my application at all. On the other hand, if I quit and take the offer, and apply in R2, the startup will still be in nascent stages so I may or may not be able to show tangible impact.

Should I just stick to my current job, despite it not being what I want to do in the long run?

I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Hi S995

Thank you for posting. Happy to help, as always! :-)

- The offer you have from your client seems great. We do feel you should take it up independent of applying to an MBA program. Opportunities like the one you are describing are hard for even MBA graduates to get, so who knows where this could take you. You are still at the dawn of your career, and have some time before you need to consider an MBA.
- There is of course some risk involved in joining this new venture, but in case you do move, it may not necessarily reflect poorly on your ISB application, even if you apply this year. The work experience you garner will be too low to make a difference just on that front between R1 and R2. It depends on how you express yourself in your essays. If you can do a good job, moving to the new venture could well be taken as a positive.
- You have other things to do as well before you apply, though, including retaking the GRE. Consider that as the major factor on when you wish to apply.
- Overall, quit now and take up this offer and try and do your best there. Remember, not all growth happens through an MBA program. On the other hand, you could lose out on potential growth by not taking opportunities. Go for it!

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 20:30
Top Contributor
suraj1705 wrote:
Class X 6.8/10
XII 56%
Science stream
Graduation - BBA from Calcutta University
58% among top 10% of the class
GMAT 720

Work Experience
Worked 1.5 years in a leading IT company in Customer Services
As a Trainer and Customer service manager
Left the job to educate 43 under privileged children for a year. (Break for a year).
Trained 800 freshers to promote employment in northeast states. (Project with a leading IT company).
2 years of Fellowship full time experience with Teach for india
Total Experience of 3. 5 years including TFI fellowship
Pls evaluate my profile for ISB.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Suraj

Apologies for missing out on your query earlier. Fell through the cracks. However, you seem to be applying this year, so this will hopefully still be useful.
- Your academics are about average. Class XII is low, and the BBA marks are not outstanding either. A bit surprised that 58% in your BBA is in the top 10% of your class; however, if that is the case, please note this in the additional comments section of your ISB app.
- A GMAT score of 720 is great; your experience in the social sphere is outstanding. TFI experience is valued by ISB as well. The 1.5 years of IT experience earlier also counts, but will be less important now.
- What will be critical for you now is how you build your goals and relate them to the need for an MBA and a fit with ISB.
- Please also go through this article: https://www.gyanone.com/blog/mba-after-teach-for-india/

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:40
Top Contributor
INDIAN SCHOOL OF HYDERABAD CLASS PROFILE | ISB PGP CLASS PROFILE

The expertise they bring in in terms of some of the most experienced faculty (with most of them ISB Graduates) and a focused approach to help applicants crack the admission process is unmatched to any other. The below list presents the success stories of GyanOne candidates who are now currently part of the ISB MBA program.

Abhishek Joshi is one of the few exceptional candidates who has been accepted into the PGP program of ISB. A Delhi college of engineering graduate, he joined EXL as a business analyst upon completion of the course. Handling some of the best banks in the US, he was responsible for operations and risk management of these banks. His technical knowledge, the ability to work in a team and ensure that deliverables are met on time ensured his steady rise within the firm. His work ethics and dedication found him moving through the ranks to become the assistant manager within...READ MORE

This post was first published on the GyanOne Blog

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 05:22
Top Contributor
FROM UK BACK TO INDIA? SECOND MASTERS FOR A CIVIL ENGINEER | ISB PGP

If you thought getting a master’s degree abroad is remarkable, what would you think of a person who has signed up for the ride all over again? genius right? Spurthi Joglekar’s story so far is nothing short of inspiring. Her academic caliber, the brilliant work experience and the strong drive to make a difference in this world makes her strive harder. A brief look at her profile allows us a peek into the mind of someone who is not only bright but has been able to use that brilliance to pursue a passion as well. With a keen interest in infrastructure and sustainable businesses, she has always hoped that she can find creative solutions to global problems....READ MORE

This post was first published on the GyanOne Blog

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 01:20
Top Contributor
ISB will be starting interviews for Round 1 candidates (those who have already submitted GMAT scores) as early as Sep 16, 2018. This is in contrast to the earlier dates for interview for Round 1 candidates (October 1 to November 7) announced by ISB in June. The change seems to have happened owing to ISB's decision to push out the last date for taking GMAT to October 15, which has also affected interviewing schedules.

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 00:27
Top Contributor
ISB R1 interview calls for the Mumbai interview location have gone out October 1 late evening onwards. Most interviews slated to be over the weekend (Oct 6) in Mumbai. Lead time given before the interview varies from 5 days to 3 days.

Intern
Intern
ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 03:11
Hi Gyanone,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest some suitable B school I should apply.

X - 72%
XII - 61%
BE (IT) - 63.69% [CGPA - 7.11] (IIEST)
GMAT - Not yet taken

Work Experience:-
PwC(4 years 6 months):- I will be applying for next year so 1 year can be added to the total experience (5 years 5-6 months).

I have done my engineering in Information technology department from IIEST shibpur. I have published a paper in IEEE journal on recommendation system. I was part of the university cricket team and represented my university team in many tournament. I have organized technical and cultural festivals in our college. Also I have organized many research promotion workshop in our college. I have also won many award in athletics.I have completed many coursera and edx course related with CS and Business.

I have been working in PwC India from last 4.5 years. I am working as a technical consultant in Microsoft dynamics AX ERP system. I have designed many system of PwC clients and mapped the business requirement to the system in user friendly way. I have been awarded with many awards such as PwC professional award, GST consultant award, Client appreciation award etc. I have good client facing experience. I have good career progression in my current role and future looks good as of now.

Reason for doing MBA - Want to go in a role of business consultant. So I can accelerate my career progression.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 05:36
Top Contributor
ISB MFAB Program Review - Things You Should Definitely Know

Keshav Aggarwal, now an ISB MFAB student, is a graduate from London School of Economics and joined his family business right after his graduation. He took ownership of complete operations of the manufacturing plant, focusing on introducing new technologies and methodologies to improve the product and process quality. On this journey, with several plant improvements and initiatives to his credit, he realized the need to get formal education in family business and entreprenuership. Then is when ISB MFAB happened, and here is his take and insights into the program for all you MFAB aspirants!

Why did you select the ISB MFAB program?
After working for 7 years in my family business, I did not want to take a break of 1 year and go for a regular MBA program. In my view, if I did a regular MBA I would not have been that successful at applying my skills (what I would have learned) to my business.....READ MORE

READ MORE ON ISB MFAB APPLICATION PROCESS

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 21:10
Top Contributor
dhiru08 wrote:
Hi Gyanone,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest some suitable B school I should apply.

X - 72%
XII - 61%
BE (IT) - 63.69% [CGPA - 7.11] (IIEST)
GMAT - Not yet taken

Work Experience:-
PwC(4 years 6 months):- I will be applying for next year so 1 year can be added to the total experience (5 years 5-6 months).

I have done my engineering in Information technology department from IIEST shibpur. I have published a paper in IEEE journal on recommendation system. I was part of the university cricket team and represented my university team in many tournament. I have organized technical and cultural festivals in our college. Also I have organized many research promotion workshop in our college. I have also won many award in athletics.I have completed many coursera and edx course related with CS and Business.

I have been working in PwC India from last 4.5 years. I am working as a technical consultant in Microsoft dynamics AX ERP system. I have designed many system of PwC clients and mapped the business requirement to the system in user friendly way. I have been awarded with many awards such as PwC professional award, GST consultant award, Client appreciation award etc. I have good client facing experience. I have good career progression in my current role and future looks good as of now.

Reason for doing MBA - Want to go in a role of business consultant. So I can accelerate my career progression.

Hi dhiru08
- Overall, your profile looks quite decent. Yes, you have a technology-focused background, but your work with PwC and your awards will differentiate you from the typical IT applicant.
- ECA and acads look fine. The acads are slightly low, so if you can get a good GMAT score (700+) that will help your cause.
- Other than that, we had several people with similar profiles and GMAT scores of 680-700, who are interviewing with ISB this weekend. So with a good app and a decent score, you should definitely have a chance. Focus on diversity and differentiators though, not IT skills alone, as ISB is specifically looking for those this year.

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 23:22
Hi GyanOne,

I applied in R1 for Class of 2019-2020. I have been waitlisted. I would like to know any wait list conversion ratio if possible, based on previous year data and trends. I'm currently in a fix and I've got to wait until March 20, 2019

Regards,
HK
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! &nbs [#permalink] 15 Nov 2018, 23:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   [ 253 posts ] 

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap