GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 19:44
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you for the feedback on my profile. I am currently very stuck, and would appreciate your input.

I complete 1 year of work ex at my current organization on 31st July 2018 (a month from now). I have been unhappy in my job for some months now, simply because I see myself stagnating creatively. The executive education domain doesn't allow for much in terms of creativity. However, I realize that quitting would negatively harm my application.

However, one of my most reliable former freelance clients has just approached me with an offer. They want to diversify, and set up a new business- high quality fashion prints, and would like me to lead the efforts. They are willing to invest, and want me to take charge of the entire creation and execution- I'll be allowed to hire my own team and consultants as needed. It is an exciting offer, but there is an enormous risk involved (as is with all startups).

I can't apply in R1 (Sept 15) if I quit my job and take the other offer- I don't think that would look good on my application at all. On the other hand, if I quit and take the offer, and apply in R2, the startup will still be in nascent stages so I may or may not be able to show tangible impact.

Should I just stick to my current job, despite it not being what I want to do in the long run?

I have absolutely no idea what to do.
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:38
Top Contributor
S995 wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you for the feedback on my profile. I am currently very stuck, and would appreciate your input.

I complete 1 year of work ex at my current organization on 31st July 2018 (a month from now). I have been unhappy in my job for some months now, simply because I see myself stagnating creatively. The executive education domain doesn't allow for much in terms of creativity. However, I realize that quitting would negatively harm my application.

However, one of my most reliable former freelance clients has just approached me with an offer. They want to diversify, and set up a new business- high quality fashion prints, and would like me to lead the efforts. They are willing to invest, and want me to take charge of the entire creation and execution- I'll be allowed to hire my own team and consultants as needed. It is an exciting offer, but there is an enormous risk involved (as is with all startups).

I can't apply in R1 (Sept 15) if I quit my job and take the other offer- I don't think that would look good on my application at all. On the other hand, if I quit and take the offer, and apply in R2, the startup will still be in nascent stages so I may or may not be able to show tangible impact.

Should I just stick to my current job, despite it not being what I want to do in the long run?

I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Hi S995

Thank you for posting. Happy to help, as always! :-)

- The offer you have from your client seems great. We do feel you should take it up independent of applying to an MBA program. Opportunities like the one you are describing are hard for even MBA graduates to get, so who knows where this could take you. You are still at the dawn of your career, and have some time before you need to consider an MBA.
- There is of course some risk involved in joining this new venture, but in case you do move, it may not necessarily reflect poorly on your ISB application, even if you apply this year. The work experience you garner will be too low to make a difference just on that front between R1 and R2. It depends on how you express yourself in your essays. If you can do a good job, moving to the new venture could well be taken as a positive.
- You have other things to do as well before you apply, though, including retaking the GRE. Consider that as the major factor on when you wish to apply.
- Overall, quit now and take up this offer and try and do your best there. Remember, not all growth happens through an MBA program. On the other hand, you could lose out on potential growth by not taking opportunities. Go for it!

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 20:30
Top Contributor
suraj1705 wrote:
Class X 6.8/10
XII 56%
Science stream
Graduation - BBA from Calcutta University
58% among top 10% of the class
GMAT 720

Work Experience
Worked 1.5 years in a leading IT company in Customer Services
As a Trainer and Customer service manager
Left the job to educate 43 under privileged children for a year. (Break for a year).
Trained 800 freshers to promote employment in northeast states. (Project with a leading IT company).
2 years of Fellowship full time experience with Teach for india
Total Experience of 3. 5 years including TFI fellowship
Pls evaluate my profile for ISB.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Suraj

Apologies for missing out on your query earlier. Fell through the cracks. However, you seem to be applying this year, so this will hopefully still be useful.
- Your academics are about average. Class XII is low, and the BBA marks are not outstanding either. A bit surprised that 58% in your BBA is in the top 10% of your class; however, if that is the case, please note this in the additional comments section of your ISB app.
- A GMAT score of 720 is great; your experience in the social sphere is outstanding. TFI experience is valued by ISB as well. The 1.5 years of IT experience earlier also counts, but will be less important now.
- What will be critical for you now is how you build your goals and relate them to the need for an MBA and a fit with ISB.
- Please also go through this article: https://www.gyanone.com/blog/mba-after-teach-for-india/

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:40
Top Contributor
INDIAN SCHOOL OF HYDERABAD CLASS PROFILE | ISB PGP CLASS PROFILE

The expertise they bring in in terms of some of the most experienced faculty (with most of them ISB Graduates) and a focused approach to help applicants crack the admission process is unmatched to any other. The below list presents the success stories of GyanOne candidates who are now currently part of the ISB MBA program.

Abhishek Joshi is one of the few exceptional candidates who has been accepted into the PGP program of ISB. A Delhi college of engineering graduate, he joined EXL as a business analyst upon completion of the course. Handling some of the best banks in the US, he was responsible for operations and risk management of these banks. His technical knowledge, the ability to work in a team and ensure that deliverables are met on time ensured his steady rise within the firm. His work ethics and dedication found him moving through the ranks to become the assistant manager within...READ MORE

This post was first published on the GyanOne Blog

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 05:22
Top Contributor
FROM UK BACK TO INDIA? SECOND MASTERS FOR A CIVIL ENGINEER | ISB PGP

If you thought getting a master’s degree abroad is remarkable, what would you think of a person who has signed up for the ride all over again? genius right? Spurthi Joglekar’s story so far is nothing short of inspiring. Her academic caliber, the brilliant work experience and the strong drive to make a difference in this world makes her strive harder. A brief look at her profile allows us a peek into the mind of someone who is not only bright but has been able to use that brilliance to pursue a passion as well. With a keen interest in infrastructure and sustainable businesses, she has always hoped that she can find creative solutions to global problems....READ MORE

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 01:20
Top Contributor
ISB will be starting interviews for Round 1 candidates (those who have already submitted GMAT scores) as early as Sep 16, 2018. This is in contrast to the earlier dates for interview for Round 1 candidates (October 1 to November 7) announced by ISB in June. The change seems to have happened owing to ISB's decision to push out the last date for taking GMAT to October 15, which has also affected interviewing schedules.

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 00:27
Top Contributor
ISB R1 interview calls for the Mumbai interview location have gone out October 1 late evening onwards. Most interviews slated to be over the weekend (Oct 6) in Mumbai. Lead time given before the interview varies from 5 days to 3 days.

Intern
Intern
ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 03:11
Hi Gyanone,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest some suitable B school I should apply.

X - 72%
XII - 61%
BE (IT) - 63.69% [CGPA - 7.11] (IIEST)
GMAT - Not yet taken

Work Experience:-
PwC(4 years 6 months):- I will be applying for next year so 1 year can be added to the total experience (5 years 5-6 months).

I have done my engineering in Information technology department from IIEST shibpur. I have published a paper in IEEE journal on recommendation system. I was part of the university cricket team and represented my university team in many tournament. I have organized technical and cultural festivals in our college. Also I have organized many research promotion workshop in our college. I have also won many award in athletics.I have completed many coursera and edx course related with CS and Business.

I have been working in PwC India from last 4.5 years. I am working as a technical consultant in Microsoft dynamics AX ERP system. I have designed many system of PwC clients and mapped the business requirement to the system in user friendly way. I have been awarded with many awards such as PwC professional award, GST consultant award, Client appreciation award etc. I have good client facing experience. I have good career progression in my current role and future looks good as of now.

Reason for doing MBA - Want to go in a role of business consultant. So I can accelerate my career progression.
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 05:36
Top Contributor
ISB MFAB Program Review - Things You Should Definitely Know

Keshav Aggarwal, now an ISB MFAB student, is a graduate from London School of Economics and joined his family business right after his graduation. He took ownership of complete operations of the manufacturing plant, focusing on introducing new technologies and methodologies to improve the product and process quality. On this journey, with several plant improvements and initiatives to his credit, he realized the need to get formal education in family business and entreprenuership. Then is when ISB MFAB happened, and here is his take and insights into the program for all you MFAB aspirants!

Why did you select the ISB MFAB program?
After working for 7 years in my family business, I did not want to take a break of 1 year and go for a regular MBA program. In my view, if I did a regular MBA I would not have been that successful at applying my skills (what I would have learned) to my business.....READ MORE

READ MORE ON ISB MFAB APPLICATION PROCESS

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 21:10
Top Contributor
dhiru08 wrote:
Hi Gyanone,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest some suitable B school I should apply.

X - 72%
XII - 61%
BE (IT) - 63.69% [CGPA - 7.11] (IIEST)
GMAT - Not yet taken

Work Experience:-
PwC(4 years 6 months):- I will be applying for next year so 1 year can be added to the total experience (5 years 5-6 months).

I have done my engineering in Information technology department from IIEST shibpur. I have published a paper in IEEE journal on recommendation system. I was part of the university cricket team and represented my university team in many tournament. I have organized technical and cultural festivals in our college. Also I have organized many research promotion workshop in our college. I have also won many award in athletics.I have completed many coursera and edx course related with CS and Business.

I have been working in PwC India from last 4.5 years. I am working as a technical consultant in Microsoft dynamics AX ERP system. I have designed many system of PwC clients and mapped the business requirement to the system in user friendly way. I have been awarded with many awards such as PwC professional award, GST consultant award, Client appreciation award etc. I have good client facing experience. I have good career progression in my current role and future looks good as of now.

Reason for doing MBA - Want to go in a role of business consultant. So I can accelerate my career progression.

Hi dhiru08
- Overall, your profile looks quite decent. Yes, you have a technology-focused background, but your work with PwC and your awards will differentiate you from the typical IT applicant.
- ECA and acads look fine. The acads are slightly low, so if you can get a good GMAT score (700+) that will help your cause.
- Other than that, we had several people with similar profiles and GMAT scores of 680-700, who are interviewing with ISB this weekend. So with a good app and a decent score, you should definitely have a chance. Focus on diversity and differentiators though, not IT skills alone, as ISB is specifically looking for those this year.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 23:22
Hi GyanOne,

I applied in R1 for Class of 2019-2020. I have been waitlisted. I would like to know any wait list conversion ratio if possible, based on previous year data and trends. I'm currently in a fix and I've got to wait until March 20, 2019

Regards,
HK
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 05:38
Top Contributor
LOOKING TO APPLY IN ROUND 2? BE MORE CONFIDENT OF YOUR PROFILE. READ 2017 ISB PGP SUCCESS STORIES

A passion for speaking which began early for Rashmi Huilgol saw her participate in a ton of competitions and co-curricular activities right through school and college. Being part of debate teams and organizing cultural fests was a norm for her. Speaking her mind was inborn and therefore being in sales was a natural choice for Rashmi. An engineering degree from KLS Gogte Institute of Technology, Belagavi gave her the thrust she needed. With a natural penchant for technology, she worked with Natural Instruments where she managed several clients across....READ MORE

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 07:05
Please reply to my query ?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 22:59
Top Contributor
Hatakekakashi wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

I applied in R1 for Class of 2019-2020. I have been waitlisted. I would like to know any wait list conversion ratio if possible, based on previous year data and trends. I'm currently in a fix and I've got to wait until March 20, 2019

Regards,
HK

Hi HK

Thank for your post. Apologies for the slight delay - have been inundated with requests, queries, and applications. Request you to please let us know more about your profile (GMAT score, goals, GPA, undergrad institution) and some brief on how the interview went, and we can give you an assessment.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 20:29
GyanOne wrote:
Hatakekakashi wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Regards,
HK

Hi HK

Thank for your post. Apologies for the slight delay - have been inundated with requests, queries, and applications. Request you to please let us know more about your profile (GMAT score, goals, GPA, undergrad institution) and some brief on how the interview went, and we can give you an assessment.

Hey GyanOne,

I do understand, here are the things you've asked for

I'm a Re-Applicant.. Last year Rejected after Interview
GMAT - 710
10th - 74.42
12th - 87
UG - 68.51 [Undergrad Institution - Anurag Group of Institutions, Hyderabad]

Work experience - 5 years 8 months

Graduated in 2013 - Started working as an analyst for Google through a vendor, an year later went back to support my family business. Two years later switched to a corporate role, where I work as a business development executive. I have my own venture as a part of my family business as well ( distribution and consulting firm).

Essay 1 - I've mentioned I started a venture, did some expansion and got an opportunity to help about 25 small businesses and our work got recognised by MOF
Essay 2 - Shift from current role to Management Consulting, specifically Strategy Consulting. I have some prior experience in Entrepreneurship and Operations because of expanding my family business and venture and now I plan to get into that role in the short term and in the long run work as a partner at a prominent consulting firm and engage with clients at a global level [Goals]

Re app essay - mentioned my developments since last year

Interview is as follows -

Date: 21st October 2018
Interview time: 16:00 hrs GMAT: 710 Exp: 5 years 8 months

Re-Applicant
Last year: Rejected after interview

The campus is an hour away from where I stay and I wanted to reach the location by 15:30 hrs. I started early to have lunch on my way and about 14:40 I get a call from the ISB team saying that the panel is running early and I was 10 mins away from location and I rushed to the location. After my registration I called the number from which I had a gotten a call and informed them about my arrival and 5 mins later I was called upstairs and I felt nostalgic and was thinking about the last time. Around 15:00 hrs I see a girl walking out of a room and a minute later I was called and I I have a legal name that is different from how I am called in real life and I told them call me X in short and I went into the room and pleasantries were exchanged. Two panel members (P2). Lets call them A and B. B informed about my name and how I like to be referred as X

B: How are you feeling?
Me: Hungry and nervous
A and B: why so? (surprised look)
Me: I started early to have lunch but i got a call saying that the panel was running early and I came
B: but are you comfortable?
Me- yes this is more important than a meal, please go ahead
B: ok so you did engineering and did all these i.e walk me through your resume
Me: gave them answer . made a mistake and the panel caught it and were like what.. I took my time to explain..

I was holding onto my passport and the panel told me you don't have to hold it and I replied I was nervous

B: Ok what work did you do at these companies
Me: Answered
A: you have venture (family business) why don't you join there
Me: answered
B: Current role and what does your company do
B: oh so do you have a product that you sell?
Me: yes explained
B: is it like skype
B: oh if not like skype so it is like product M
Me: yes that is our competitor but in india it doesn't have that much presence etc

All in like 5-7 mins

A: okay what is your most ruthless business principle
Me: i didn't get you
A; repeated the question with an example
Me: I gave an answer which wasn't in sync with the question
A: ok forget that so how are you trying to compete with Y
A: but still product M is from a million dollar company how are you going to do? It will buy your company etc . I don't care about 1,2,3 features of your product, I have a company of my own.
Me: told them we work in economically backward countries and price is low so we always have customers for our product
A: ok you are targeting country K
Me: yes
A: Do you know when the million dollar company started? any guess?
Me: about 2000
A: yes, so about 15+ years of brand and what are you going to do
A: okay now product M is launched there what will you do ( country K)
Me: gave an answer
A: okay now you know product M is getting launched what will you do
Me: answered, mentioned price as a factor and certain features
A: okay let us say that product M is offering the same features then what you do
Me: product M is not designed that way, we already have it ready so you can save time by choosing our product
A; okay after 4 months the product is launched and now what do you do ?
Me: will focus on brand loyalty and referrals to increase business
A: but again it is a million dollar company they can buy you out. what do you do. you are offering for 100 rupees but the other company is offering at 90 rupees
A: okay now you are hired by the million dollar company for double the salary how will you market product M and take over the market share of your company
A: now switch roles you know that someone in other company is trying to overtake your market share

My face looked so sad and dejected. A apologised sorry X, I am putting you in a difficult situation, your work title is this and you need to make such decisions. I infact thanked him for such questions. I took a 30-45 seconds to prepare my answer whenever a cross question was thrown at me. I had a pen and paper in front of me and noted down bullet points and expanded on that

Me: will give additional features and market the product
B: (after a long time ) okay but wouldn't that take additional cost
Me: yes but we do have features that people don't use and we would showcase those as new features and showcase it as better
B: so you are telling me that you will out-innovate a million dollar company
Me: i will try to , we may not have the resources or finance but I will do my best because a million dollar company is trying to compete with us we will do our best.
A: okay so now it's a million dollar company the best is to sell it
Me: discussed about not selling
A: okay now the company wants to buy your product and how will you motivate the team to sell/not sell

I asked for a minute and noted down points

Me: answered on how to sell and motivate the team
B: but you did not address the employees for the product what about me
Me; Oh i forgot, answered
A: so you know how to sell your product better?
both A and B: are you taking the learning to work
Me: i was answering no to a question and there was coincidence to this question above and I said no thats not what i meant and i explained myself
B: you mentioned uplift in your resume for sales. How do you quantify that?
Me: I look at previous quarter revenue and look at % growth
B: you mentioned you're taking some courses ( mentioned in my re-app essay about taking some online courses)
Me: Answered about the courses
B: why ISB
Me: gave a standard answer and also said need a network to expand my family biz as well ( not sure if that was a good point)
B: ok so you want a network
Me: yes i want to expand my venture so i need that
B: you were mentioning that you need some skills from MBA.. can you mention what skills
Me: yes i want to be an entrepreneur
B; so by just joining will you become one?
me: i may not but ISB will put me in the right direction
both A and B looking at each other: any questions:
Me; the interview was really wonderful I got to look at things bla bla .. I am sorry that I could not hold back my words.
A: i understand it is okay
Me: asked my question
A and B: replied

we shook hands and I told mr.A that it will always be a memorable interview and i walked out. i forgot my passport and went back to get that and I could see them discussing on something

It was 35-40 minutes interview with too many cross questions and tough situations. every point I made was being countered. Yes i did fumble and made some mistakes, there's no perfect interview but I came out feeling not bad. I do not know what to make out of this interview as well. As always may be I could have done better?

Looking at the larger picture - no why mba no goal related questions . I wanted to get into consulting and no case related questions etc
only why isb resume questions and product competitor questions

Over the course of 6 years I've had a few interviews but this one stands out for the way it was conducted and thanks to Mr.A first and Mr. B as well . I asked the company Mr.A owns and he told me about along with the address.

I would like to now know where do i stand because without a wait list number, the next four months are just blank for me. I have taken it as a reject and moved on and I'm looking at other colleges as of now. I really look forward to your reply on this

Regards,
HK

PS - excuse typos
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 13:45
Hi gyanone

I am 32 years male working in sail(steel authority of India Ltd) , will you kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me where to improve

10th 72%
12th 72%
Engineering (metallurgy) from bit Sindri 76%
GMAT 700( q 47, v 39)
Job experience 10years 6months

Initially I had joined IBM and worked for 6 months there , my work there was basically software testing , I have done a few certifications over there (istqb,aix)

After that I joined steel authority of India Ltd as my background was metallurgy and since then have been working here
In these ten years following are my achievements
I was able to increase the productivity of bloom casters by 20%
Played a vital role in improving the quality of slabs and hence increasing yield
Played a vital role in the automation of bloom casters and minimising human labour
As steel industry is labour intensive hence regular interactions with labour unions is part and parcel of my job

During these ten years I have handled various aspects of operational management such as logistics management, manpower management, cost cutting programs , increasing productivity with quality and safety issues on shop floor
The reason why I wish to do MBA at isb is that although I had a lot of exposure for technical and managerial roles at sail I didn't get much opportunity to understand the financial aspect and with out that exposure I don't think I will be able to handle bigger roles in coming future
My hobbies are photography and travelling

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 21:28
Top Contributor
Hatakekakashi wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Hatakekakashi wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Regards,
HK

Hi HK

Hey GyanOne,

GMAT - 710
10th - 74.42
12th - 87

Graduated in 2013 - Started working as an analyst for Google through a vendor, an year later went back to support my family business. Two years later switched to a corporate role, where I work as a business development executive. I have my own venture as a part of my family business as well ( distribution and consulting firm).

Essay 1 - I've mentioned I started a venture, did some expansion and got an opportunity to help about 25 small businesses and our work got recognised by MOF
Essay 2 - Shift from current role to Management Consulting, specifically Strategy Consulting. I have some prior experience in Entrepreneurship and Operations because of expanding my family business and venture and now I plan to get into that role in the short term and in the long run work as a partner at a prominent consulting firm and engage with clients at a global level [Goals]

Re-Applicant

The campus is an hour away from where I stay and I wanted to reach the location by 15:30 hrs. I started early to have lunch on my way and about 14:40 I get a call from the ISB team saying that the panel is running early and I was 10 mins away from location and I rushed to the location. After my registration I called the number from which I had a gotten a call and informed them about my arrival and 5 mins later I was called upstairs and I felt nostalgic and was thinking about the last time. Around 15:00 hrs I see a girl walking out of a room and a minute later I was called and I I have a legal name that is different from how I am called in real life and I told them call me X in short and I went into the room and pleasantries were exchanged. Two panel members (P2). Lets call them A and B. B informed about my name and how I like to be referred as X

Me: I started early to have lunch but i got a call saying that the panel was running early and I came
Me: gave them answer . made a mistake and the panel caught it and were like what.. I took my time to explain..

I was holding onto my passport and the panel told me you don't have to hold it and I replied I was nervous

Me: yes that is our competitor but in india it doesn't have that much presence etc

All in like 5-7 mins

A: but still product M is from a million dollar company how are you going to do? It will buy your company etc . I don't care about 1,2,3 features of your product, I have a company of my own.
Me: told them we work in economically backward countries and price is low so we always have customers for our product
A: okay let us say that product M is offering the same features then what you do
Me: product M is not designed that way, we already have it ready so you can save time by choosing our product
A: but again it is a million dollar company they can buy you out. what do you do. you are offering for 100 rupees but the other company is offering at 90 rupees
A: okay now you are hired by the million dollar company for double the salary how will you market product M and take over the market share of your company
A: now switch roles you know that someone in other company is trying to overtake your market share

My face looked so sad and dejected. A apologised sorry X, I am putting you in a difficult situation, your work title is this and you need to make such decisions. I infact thanked him for such questions. I took a 30-45 seconds to prepare my answer whenever a cross question was thrown at me. I had a pen and paper in front of me and noted down bullet points and expanded on that

Me: yes but we do have features that people don't use and we would showcase those as new features and showcase it as better
Me: i will try to , we may not have the resources or finance but I will do my best because a million dollar company is trying to compete with us we will do our best.
A: okay now the company wants to buy your product and how will you motivate the team to sell/not sell

Me: i was answering no to a question and there was coincidence to this question above and I said no thats not what i meant and i explained myself
B: you mentioned you're taking some courses ( mentioned in my re-app essay about taking some online courses)
Me: gave a standard answer and also said need a network to expand my family biz as well ( not sure if that was a good point)
B: you were mentioning that you need some skills from MBA.. can you mention what skills
Me; the interview was really wonderful I got to look at things bla bla .. I am sorry that I could not hold back my words.

we shook hands and I told mr.A that it will always be a memorable interview and i walked out. i forgot my passport and went back to get that and I could see them discussing on something

It was 35-40 minutes interview with too many cross questions and tough situations. every point I made was being countered. Yes i did fumble and made some mistakes, there's no perfect interview but I came out feeling not bad. I do not know what to make out of this interview as well. As always may be I could have done better?

Looking at the larger picture - no why mba no goal related questions . I wanted to get into consulting and no case related questions etc

Over the course of 6 years I've had a few interviews but this one stands out for the way it was conducted and thanks to Mr.A first and Mr. B as well . I asked the company Mr.A owns and he told me about along with the address.

I would like to now know where do i stand because without a wait list number, the next four months are just blank for me. I have taken it as a reject and moved on and I'm looking at other colleges as of now. I really look forward to your reply on this

Regards,
HK

PS - excuse typos

Hi HK

Thanks for the detailed post. This was really helpful. Here is out analysis:
- Although you did your best (and did do well too) in the interview given the cross-questioning, our sense is that overall their impression would be that of mild conviction, and your interview performance may not be the top decile types. In hindsight, some elements like telling them you are nervous and hungry could have been avoided. The rest is of course a response to what they asked.
- The goals part in essay 2 was a little less convincing. Strategy consulting may not be an easy sell given your experience and scores. Also, it is a goal often mentioned by applicants. That is the part that is creating confusion here. Given your corporate experience and family business exposure (+ your venture), a better/more understandable goal is to become an entrepreneur, not go into consulting. Our hunch is they were not convinced with the direction you are taking, hence so many questions (while a few goals questions are par for the course in any interview, these were probably a lot more than usual).
- Our assessment is that given this interview and the overall profile, chances of conversion are medium to low for your case. Please do not take this to be an incontrovertible opinion. Our effort here is only to provide an assessment so you can plan your time better now. You should probably be looking at other schools apart from ISB that are on your radar, and putting in strong applications (and sort out the goals part certainly, please) to those. If ISB converts, consider it a bonus.

SVP
SVP
G
ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 21:29
Top Contributor
Hatakekakashi wrote:

Hey GyanOne,

GMAT - 710
10th - 74.42
12th - 87

Re-Applicant

All in like 5-7 mins

Regards,
HK

PS - excuse typos

Hi HK

Thanks for the detailed post. This was really helpful. Here is our analysis:
- Although you did your best (and did do well too) in the interview given the cross-questioning, our sense is that overall their impression would be that of mild conviction, and your interview performance may not be the top decile types. In hindsight, some elements like telling them you are nervous and hungry could have been avoided. The rest is of course a response to what they asked.
- The goals part in essay 2 was a little less convincing. Strategy consulting may not be an easy sell given your experience and scores. Also, it is a goal often mentioned by applicants. That is the part that is creating confusion here. Given your corporate experience and family business exposure (+ your venture), a better/more understandable goal is to become an entrepreneur, not go into consulting. Our hunch is they were not convinced with the direction you are taking, hence so many questions (while a few goals questions are par for the course in any interview, these were probably a lot more than usual).
- Our assessment is that given this interview and the overall profile, chances of conversion are medium to low for your case. Please do not take this to be an incontrovertible opinion. Our effort here is only to provide an assessment so you can plan your time better now. You should probably be looking at other schools apart from ISB that are on your radar, and putting in strong applications (and sort out the goals part certainly, please) to those. If ISB converts, consider it a bonus.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 01:01
Hey GyanOne,

I'd appreciate a profile review, if you don't mind!

Background: 3 years in Risk Management at a large Investment Bank with considerable brand equity; helped save a cumulative sum of $0.5 billion. 2.5 years founding a FinTech start-up, scaling, growing it into a $3M company that saved investors $1M and selling it for 5x projected revenues.

Extracurriculars: Published writer, Performer in Broadway-style shows, Non-profit co-founder and CFO

Nationality: Indian

Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: Bachelors of Technology [Engineering; non-Tier1 school]

Age at matriculation: 25

Stats:
GMAT: 760 [Q49 V44]

Undergrad GPA: 66% [~ 3.1/4.0]

MBA Info:
Goal: Early-stage Venture Capital for a few years to work with high-growth tech companies and help them solve problems of scale. FinTech entrepreneurship in the long term. (Already have a sense of what I want to build.)

Applying to: Mostly T-20 schools but thinking of keeping ISB R2 as a viable option too.

Appreciate the help!

The importance of mindset on the GMAT - 640 to 690 to 740 (Q49 V42) : https://bit.ly/2R1WaK5

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 01:16
Top Contributor
shaarang wrote:
Hey GyanOne,

I'd appreciate a profile review, if you don't mind!

Background: 3 years in Risk Management at a large Investment Bank with considerable brand equity; helped save a cumulative sum of $0.5 billion. 2.5 years founding a FinTech start-up, scaling, growing it into a $3M company that saved investors $1M and selling it for 5x projected revenues.

Extracurriculars: Published writer, Performer in Broadway-style shows, Non-profit co-founder and CFO

Nationality: Indian

Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: Bachelors of Technology [Engineering; non-Tier1 school]

Age at matriculation: 25

Stats:
GMAT: 760 [Q49 V44]

Undergrad GPA: 66% [~ 3.1/4.0]

MBA Info:
Goal: Early-stage Venture Capital for a few years to work with high-growth tech companies and help them solve problems of scale. FinTech entrepreneurship in the long term. (Already have a sense of what I want to build.)

Applying to: Mostly T-20 schools but thinking of keeping ISB R2 as a viable option too.

Appreciate the help!

Certainly shaarang! Here is our assessment:
- So, diversity is what ISB is looking for this year, and you have plenty of that, with a GMAT of 760 to boot! Strong chances for you at ISB, given those parameters.
- The IB experience and the entrepreneurship experience certainly adds to your profile, though we note the IB experience is more risk-management oriented (that's fine).
- Graduating from a non-Tier 1 engineering school is not a factor for you, even though your acad performance was about average. The GMAT makes up for that.
- The goals part seems a little shaky to us. Getting into VC/PE from ISB will not be an easy deal. Long term entrepreneurship is always questionable. Suggest you revisit this part. Your goals are your goals, after all, but showing ISB a more ISB-realistic way of getting there is important, else it will translate to high interview risk for you.
- T-20 is certainly possible, provided you choose wisely (don't go automatically for the biggest names, necessarily. Ascertain fit.). So is ISB.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 01:16

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 277 posts ] 

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap