Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]
GyanOne wrote:

Hi HK

Thanks for the detailed post. This was really helpful. Here is our analysis:
- Although you did your best (and did do well too) in the interview given the cross-questioning, our sense is that overall their impression would be that of mild conviction, and your interview performance may not be the top decile types. In hindsight, some elements like telling them you are nervous and hungry could have been avoided. The rest is of course a response to what they asked.
- The goals part in essay 2 was a little less convincing. Strategy consulting may not be an easy sell given your experience and scores. Also, it is a goal often mentioned by applicants. That is the part that is creating confusion here. Given your corporate experience and family business exposure (+ your venture), a better/more understandable goal is to become an entrepreneur, not go into consulting. Our hunch is they were not convinced with the direction you are taking, hence so many questions (while a few goals questions are par for the course in any interview, these were probably a lot more than usual).
- Our assessment is that given this interview and the overall profile, chances of conversion are medium to low for your case. Please do not take this to be an incontrovertible opinion. Our effort here is only to provide an assessment so you can plan your time better now. You should probably be looking at other schools apart from ISB that are on your radar, and putting in strong applications (and sort out the goals part certainly, please) to those. If ISB converts, consider it a bonus.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Thank you for the response :)

I have moved past ISB it's not an option anymore to me. Just wanted to reconfirm the same :)

Regards,
HK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
for

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi gyanone

I am 32 years male working in sail(steel authority of India Ltd) , will you kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me where to improve

10th 72%
12th 72%
Engineering (metallurgy) from bit Sindri 76%
GMAT 700( q 47, v 39)
Job experience 10years 6months

Initially I had joined IBM and worked for 6 months there , my work there was basically software testing , I have done a few certifications over there (istqb,aix)

After that I joined steel authority of India Ltd as my background was metallurgy and since then have been working here
In these ten years following are my achievements
I was able to increase the productivity of bloom casters by 20%
Played a vital role in improving the quality of slabs and hence increasing yield
Played a vital role in the automation of bloom casters and minimising human labour
As steel industry is labour intensive hence regular interactions with labour unions is part and parcel of my job

During these ten years I have handled various aspects of operational management such as logistics management, manpower management, cost cutting programs , increasing productivity with quality and safety issues on shop floor
The reason why I wish to do MBA at isb is that although I had a lot of exposure for technical and managerial roles at sail I didn't get much opportunity to understand the financial aspect and with out that exposure I don't think I will be able to handle bigger roles in coming future
My hobbies are photography and travelling

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
vijyband99 wrote:
Hi gyanone

I am 32 years male working in sail(steel authority of India Ltd) , will you kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me where to improve

10th 72%
12th 72%
Engineering (metallurgy) from bit Sindri 76%
GMAT 700( q 47, v 39)
Job experience 10years 6months

Initially I had joined IBM and worked for 6 months there , my work there was basically software testing , I have done a few certifications over there (istqb,aix)

After that I joined steel authority of India Ltd as my background was metallurgy and since then have been working here
In these ten years following are my achievements
I was able to increase the productivity of bloom casters by 20%
Played a vital role in improving the quality of slabs and hence increasing yield
Played a vital role in the automation of bloom casters and minimising human labour
As steel industry is labour intensive hence regular interactions with labour unions is part and parcel of my job

During these ten years I have handled various aspects of operational management such as logistics management, manpower management, cost cutting programs , increasing productivity with quality and safety issues on shop floor
The reason why I wish to do MBA at isb is that although I had a lot of exposure for technical and managerial roles at sail I didn't get much opportunity to understand the financial aspect and with out that exposure I don't think I will be able to handle bigger roles in coming future
My hobbies are photography and travelling

Hi vijyband99

Thanks for posting. Here is our assessment:
- Your academic scores and GMAT are well within the range for ISB. No worries there.
- You have not provided too many inputs on your extra-curriculars, international exposure (if any), achievements outside work, or any social contributions. Some of these are important factors, especially this year, when ISB is looking for diversity outside the classroom as well. Photography and traveling are nice, but they are also a bit common.
- In terms of your reasons for getting an MBA, you will need to go deeper than that. The reason is that you have 10+ years of experience, which is well above the median at ISB. That does not mean you have no chance of making it (a few people with as much experience, and even somewhat more, do make it every year) but that your goals and your answer to why you need an MBA now have to be very convincing. The answer you have at the moment is more of a classic case for the Executive MBA (part-time) and ISB may consider you a better fit with the PGPMAX with these.
- Do not, in any case, delay applying to ISB beyond this year for the PGP. Work on your goals and your application.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hatakekakashi wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

Hi HK

Thanks for the detailed post. This was really helpful. Here is our analysis:
- Although you did your best (and did do well too) in the interview given the cross-questioning, our sense is that overall their impression would be that of mild conviction, and your interview performance may not be the top decile types. In hindsight, some elements like telling them you are nervous and hungry could have been avoided. The rest is of course a response to what they asked.
- The goals part in essay 2 was a little less convincing. Strategy consulting may not be an easy sell given your experience and scores. Also, it is a goal often mentioned by applicants. That is the part that is creating confusion here. Given your corporate experience and family business exposure (+ your venture), a better/more understandable goal is to become an entrepreneur, not go into consulting. Our hunch is they were not convinced with the direction you are taking, hence so many questions (while a few goals questions are par for the course in any interview, these were probably a lot more than usual).
- Our assessment is that given this interview and the overall profile, chances of conversion are medium to low for your case. Please do not take this to be an incontrovertible opinion. Our effort here is only to provide an assessment so you can plan your time better now. You should probably be looking at other schools apart from ISB that are on your radar, and putting in strong applications (and sort out the goals part certainly, please) to those. If ISB converts, consider it a bonus.

Thank you for the response :)

I have moved past ISB it's not an option anymore to me. Just wanted to reconfirm the same :)

Regards,
HK

You are most welcome. Glad we could help in some way. If we can help in any aspect going forward, please feel free to come back and post here or contact us directly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Seeking help from GyanOne on my ISB application was one of the best decisions I took this year.Rishabh was very helpful in discussing in details about my post MBA goals which led me to gain clarity. He was extremely helpful in bringing out the positives of my profile which was a very important factor in shaping my story.The detailed analysis, thorough discussions and any time availability over call provided by Rishabh made a great difference in my application.Being a reapplicant, the pressure increases and I was able to handle it well with gyanone's help.Even the guidance provided by Swati for interviews was very fruitful, She prepared me for the toughest of questions and helped me cover any gaps between my application and actual interview.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shiv24 wrote:
Seeking help from GyanOne on my ISB application was one of the best decisions I took this year.Rishabh was very helpful in discussing in details about my post MBA goals which led me to gain clarity. He was extremely helpful in bringing out the positives of my profile which was a very important factor in shaping my story.The detailed analysis, thorough discussions and any time availability over call provided by Rishabh made a great difference in my application.Being a reapplicant, the pressure increases and I was able to handle it well with gyanone's help.Even the guidance provided by Swati for interviews was very fruitful, She prepared me for the toughest of questions and helped me cover any gaps between my application and actual interview.

Thanks shiv24! It was a real pleasure working with you. Wishing you all the best for ISB!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hello all,

ISB has just announced an additional intake round - Cycle 3 - with a deadline of Jan 15, 2019. This comes as a breather for applicants who could not aim for the original Dec 15, deadline as the last for ISB for the Class of 2020 (2019 intake), as it was supposed to be earlier.

The application fees for Cycle 3, however, has been increased to INR 7500, and the final offer decision will be made by March 5, 2019.

These details are as they stand now at the following link at the ISB website: https://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/admission-calendar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi GyanOne!
I am planning on applying to ISB for the 2020 intake. I have a decent GMAT score as well as academics. I joined the workforce after graduation as a software engineer at a leading bank in august 2017 and will have 2 years of work ex by the time I apply. I have about 10 months before applications start and I want to make the best use of this time by strengthening my profile but I am not sure how. My post MBA goals are to become an entrepreneur and I would like some suggestions about the initiatives I can take up at work and outside to substantiate my profile.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
agarwal10 wrote:
Hi GyanOne!
I am planning on applying to ISB for the 2020 intake. I have a decent GMAT score as well as academics. I joined the workforce after graduation as a software engineer at a leading bank in august 2017 and will have 2 years of work ex by the time I apply. I have about 10 months before applications start and I want to make the best use of this time by strengthening my profile but I am not sure how. My post MBA goals are to become an entrepreneur and I would like some suggestions about the initiatives I can take up at work and outside to substantiate my profile.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Hi agarwal10

Thank you for posting, and welcome to the GyanOne thread.
- At this point, would request you to post more details on your profile - what is your exact GMAT score, GPA, and employer?
- Please also mention details on your work experience - as a software engineer, what are the kind of business projects you contribute to?
- Finally, some more detail on your ECA and leadership experiences will be helpful.

Once you provide this, we will be in a position to provide suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: ISB
Send PM
Hello!
Would you be kind enough to help me out with some queries on the ISB YLP admission process.
Here's my profile summary:
10th-96.8%
12th-95% (Science)
UG: BSc. Economics(H) from a top college in India. CGPA- 7.85(aiming to bring it up to 8)
Male
GMAT/GRE: Not taken yet.
Extra Curricular:
Class Rep for the 1st year of college.
Editor-in-chief of the departmental magazine.
Organised events for the college fest.
Runners up in a paper presentation event.
Volunteering in a leading NGO in the city.
CFA Level I cleared with top grades.
Do I have a decent chance of getting in ? What GMAT/GRE score should I target? And what else should I do to enhance my profile?
Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Hello GyanOne

I need an advice on choosing suitable b-school.I want to change my industry.Right now, I am working in energy sector.But i am interested in consulting, analytics ,and finance and unfortunately my work is purely technical operations.I have been working for last 7 years in the industry.is ISB a right choice for me in this regards?How can i improve my employability in ISB particularly in my field of interest?Do i need to have some certification courses in mentioned field of interest?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
JAIN09 wrote:
Hello GyanOne

I need an advice on choosing suitable b-school.I want to change my industry.Right now, I am working in energy sector.But i am interested in consulting, analytics ,and finance and unfortunately my work is purely technical operations.I have been working for last 7 years in the industry.is ISB a right choice for me in this regards?How can i improve my employability in ISB particularly in my field of interest?Do i need to have some certification courses in mentioned field of interest?

Hi JAIN09

Thank you for posting. Welcome to the GyanOne ISB thread.
- Consulting, analytics, and finance may not go together with your profile. If you are coming in from a technical operations profile, you may look at analytics and consulting as future possibilities, but a move to finance with this much experience may not work.
- ISB can certainly be the right choice for you. Many people make the move from tech ops to consulting through ISB. To improve employability, you will need to network, take the right courses, do well academically, and work on related projects. A certification is not really a requirement. However, all this comes later. As of now, focus on taking the GMAT and getting into ISB (or another top B-school) first as your singular focus.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Ari269 wrote:
Hello!
Would you be kind enough to help me out with some queries on the ISB YLP admission process.
Here's my profile summary:
10th-96.8%
12th-95% (Science)
UG: BSc. Economics(H) from a top college in India. CGPA- 7.85(aiming to bring it up to 8)
Male
GMAT/GRE: Not taken yet.
Extra Curricular:
Class Rep for the 1st year of college.
Editor-in-chief of the departmental magazine.
Organised events for the college fest.
Runners up in a paper presentation event.
Volunteering in a leading NGO in the city.
CFA Level I cleared with top grades.
Do I have a decent chance of getting in ? What GMAT/GRE score should I target? And what else should I do to enhance my profile?
Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks!

Hi Ari269

Thank you for posting. Welcome to the GyanOne ISB thread. Would request you to post more details on: (a) your work profile - where do you work, in what role, and what are your key achievements? (b) the GMAT score you expect you should be able to get. We will come back very quickly with an evaluation post that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello please evaluate my profile:

I am a mariner having 5 + years of experience
I have worked with British petroleum and Valles Canada shipping company
I am currently Third officer , sailed on Oil tankers

Class X: 79.8
Class XII:77.8
Grad:73

I have done extra curricular activities in my school. I was School Captain.

I will be preparing for GMAT this year and I will be hitting only Indian B schools
ISB, SP JAin

I have sheer interest in MBA finance since I have decided to be in Core finance and investment related roles.
My financial portfolio says that wish to sharpen and study more technical aspect.

Kindly advise me for GMAT score since I will be doing self prep.

Thanks

Inderjit
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Inderudaey wrote:
Hello please evaluate my profile:

I am a mariner having 5 + years of experience
I have worked with British petroleum and Valles Canada shipping company
I am currently Third officer , sailed on Oil tankers

Class X: 79.8
Class XII:77.8
Grad:73

I have done extra curricular activities in my school. I was School Captain.

I will be preparing for GMAT this year and I will be hitting only Indian B schools
ISB, SP JAin

I have sheer interest in MBA finance since I have decided to be in Core finance and investment related roles.
My financial portfolio says that wish to sharpen and study more technical aspect.

Kindly advise me for GMAT score since I will be doing self prep.

Thanks

Inderjit

Hi Inderjit

Thanks for posting. Our advice is as follows:
- As a Merchant Navy Professional, you do have diversity working in your favor, and that gives you an advantage right away. Your academics are quite decent. International exposure in any case is a given in the Merchant Navy.
- In terms of ECA, school activities will be considered a bit dated now. Focus more on what you did in the relatively more recent past.
- You should aim for a GMAT score of 700+, though a slightly lower one may work as well.
- As far as post-MBA goals go, while a move to Finance is not ruled out, it would be much more challenging than say, a role in operations or in consulting for you. You can still study finance if you are interested in it more from a personal finance angle, but a career in investments will be challenging to get into.
- Apart from ISB and SP Jain, do also look at the PGPEX at IIMC, EPGP at IIMB, and PGPX at IIMA.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi gyanone
I want to know the chances of me getting accepted to B school programs in India.

Nationality - Indian
Age -26
GMAT Score - 680 (Q49,V33,IR8)
Education - 4 year Bachelors in Mechanical engineering (8.24/10) from NIT Nagpur (one of top tier institutes, after IITs in India)
Class XII - 96%
Class X - 93 %
Work Experience:
Assistant Engineering Manager at L&T Construction (one of Fortune 500 companies), in Design department (July 2014-Now)
Responsibilities:
Apart from technical work (mechanical design), I coordinate with multiple vendors and client simultaneously to ensure completion of project within schedule. I work in core business of design and construction (especially, bulk material handling plants in power plants and mines). I design basic components and provide optimized solutions. I coordinate with site and Business Unit teams till execution of project.
I want to do MBA at this juncture of my career so that I can take step towards Business execution and Strategic planning roles from my current design role. I am currently looking for 1 year program in schools in India.
Is my profile good enough for a chance in any program? If yes, then is my GMAT score sufficient or should I retake it? What options do I have regarding schools?

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  21