GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests
It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 02:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:21) correct 57% (01:31) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It was Sunday afternoon. My brother, Jack, stole a cake I had made. After the cake disappeared, he had icing on his fingers, and he said he wasn't hungry when I asked him whether or not he wanted dinner. I was angry.

Which of the following, if any, strengthens the reasoning of getting angry of John?

A. My brother said that he was full when my mother asked him what he wanted for dinner.
B. He had icing not only on his fingers, but also on his shirt sleeves and chin.
C. The cake was extremely delicious and filled with chocolate ice cream.
D. There was no icing on the cake.
E. My brother likes carrot cake.

B
Re: It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 04:22
Raxit85 wrote:
It was Sunday afternoon. My brother, Jack, stole a cake I had made. After the cake disappeared, he had icing on his fingers, and he said he wasn't hungry when I asked him whether or not he wanted dinner. I was angry.

Which of the following, if any, strengthens the reasoning of getting angry of John?

A. My brother said that he was full when my mother asked him what he wanted for dinner.
B. He had icing not only on his fingers, but also on his shirt sleeves and chin.
C. The cake was extremely delicious and filled with chocolate ice cream.
D. There was no icing on the cake.
E. My brother likes carrot cake.

What is the source of this question? Doesn't look like GMAT CR type question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests
It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 06:28
Official answer:
Conclusion: "My brother stole a cake I had made." This is the speaker's main point. Why does the speaker believe that his brother is the culprit? The premise will make this clearer.
Premise: "He had icing on his fingers, and he said he wasn't hungry when I asked him whether or not he wanted dinner." The two phrases bolster the speaker's conclusion. If the brother did in fact eat the cake, it could reasonably follow that he would have icing on his fingers and that his hunger would have subsided.
Assumptions: There are numerous assumptions here—some more pertinent than others. For example, we assume that the brother likes cake, and we assume that there was not more than one cake for him to eat. Two important assumptions pertain directly to the premise: 1. Eating a cake puts icing on your fingers / the brother could only have gotten icing on his fingers from having eaten a cake; 2. Eating a cake makes you full / The brother got full from eating the cake (and not from eating something else).
Random details / Background information: "It was Sunday afternoon" and "I was angry." Neither of these statements constitutes premise. They have nothing to do with the speaker's assertion that his brother ate his cake. They could become premise if there was a statement like "My brother always eats cake on Sundays"; however, since no such claim is made, these facts are irrelevant.

Choice A rephrases the premise about the brother not being hungry. It does not effectively strengthen or undermine the conclusion.
Choice B strengthens the icing premise by making it less likely that the icing got onto the brother's fingers by accident.
Choice C is an irrelevant topic. We are not concerned with the deliciousness of the cake.
Choice D effectively undermines the icing premise by discrediting the assumption that links the icing on the hands with the eating of the cake.
Choice E shifts our scope from who ate the cake to what type of cake that person ate. This choice is also too narrow to be useful, since we do not know what kind of cake the speaker made.
It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2019, 06:28

It was Sunday afternoon. My brother stole a cake I had made.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics