Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Ivey '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Re: Ivey MBA (Class of 2020) - March 2019 Intake Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
Application has started!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Ivey MBA (Class of 2020) - March 2019 Intake Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
SomnathS wrote:
Can anyone please provide an evaluation for an Ivey MBA for me -

GRE: VR: 160; QR: 170 (Equivalent to 750 GMAT as per ETS). Do you think I need to take the GMAT?
LSAT: 94th percentile: Have admits from a top-14 USD law school for its JD program
Indian Male, 31 years at matriculation, Engineer from top 15 school (top 20% of class) and PGDM from top 5 school (exchange semester at AIT, Thailand) and top 30% in class
Certified Financial Risk Manager; CFA Level II candidate
Several single and double digit country ranks at aptitude exams and management entrance exams in India
Internships during Under-grad and grad at Siemens, BMW and nuclear and thermal power plants
Total work ex of 7 years (8 at matriculation)
3.5 years - Working at a very large Indian power company: started off with Project Finance working with US Exim on a 600Mn USD deal - helped close financing documents and obtain first disbursement.
Moved to Regulatory and policy advocacy role: Worked with industry associations to push for reforms in energy sector in India - responsible for many new policy reforms (as part of groups)
Filed multiple petitions in courts and helped company win lawsuits worth ~20Bn USD.
0.5 year - Assisted the chairman of another large power company in regulatory and policy related works
2 years - co-founded a renewable energy company (consulting and project management work) now backed by PE and traditional lenders; team of about 50 now with experience of reviving stranded hydro projects and setting up many rooftop solar projects.
Last 10 months -
Goal: Plan A - Take up a contract management/strategy role in an energy/power utility company and settle in Canada. Plan B - cofound a renewable energy company
Extra-currics - teaching to underprivileged students, set up infra for villagers through our company (not as CSR), set up blood donation camps, many Club president etc work at college and grad school; debating, editorial board,scuba diving and quizzing.
Other factors: From a lower middle class background, can speak four Indian languages fluently, overcame alienation as a child.
LOR: Should manage to get good ones from my past employers.

Thanks!

Dear Somnath

Thanks for posting. Based on what you have described, you should be an excellent candidate for Ivey. Keep the goals part central to your application though - that is critical, and from what you have in your post, you need some more thinking and refinement to finalize on what you plan to do and how an MBA can help. For example, you already work in renewable energy, and have already co-founded a renewable energy firm - what do you wish to do that is possible only through an MBA, and why is Ivey the right program? This question needs to be answered well.

Apart from that, you should be a great candidate - you have good academics, a solid test score, proven leadership and experience, and have co-founded a PE-backed firm.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mohshu wrote:
Hi All,
do we need to send the transcripts to the college fr the application to be considered.

thanks...

No, you can send copies at the point of application. At the time of admission, you will need the originals for verification.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sharath2207 wrote:
Now that Canadian B-schools are becoming highly competitive, Any indicative profile of admitted candidates in Round 1, especially Indians?

Ivey is one of the schools that really considers applicants very holistically, and the strength of the application is a very real factor for the school. Judging by past trends, candidates with even 720+ scores have been rejected, while those with scores of less than 680 have been accepted too. Ivey carefully considers the richness of your experience, your leadership impact and potential, and your fit with the school in terms of your goals.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
johnny008 wrote:
Hello Team,

Please, can you confirm the essays topics and video interviews?

Regards,

Ivey essay topics:

Q1. What are your short-term career plans immediately post-MBA, and why is an Ivey MBA essential to those plans? (250 word limit)
Q2. What is the most important issue (personal or professional) that you’ve ever changed your mind about? (250 word limit)

An analysis of these essays is available here
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Palaksehgal3 wrote:
Any insight on what the interview is like?

You can get some insight on this link
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
krc wrote:
Hey Folks

Need some suggestion & motivation around here.

Background: 2008 UG candidate from an Indian University. 7.9/10 CGPA. 2013 PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma In Management - Full time) candidate from One of top 20 B-Schools in India. Second best college on east coast. (Atleast at the time i attended. To give some perspective for non-Indian peers in this group - stood among top 1700 of around 1,00,000 applicants for this program.). Currently married & have a kid under 1Yr old. Turned 31 few days back but young at heart. Over 7Yrs Work exp spread across different profiles ranging from IT consultant, Regional Sales Manager in Consumer Durables & currently a Project Manager. Looking for a more focused global 1Yr - MBA program (NYU Stern Tech MBA/INSEAD/Richard Ivey or the likes). Prime reason for going for second MBA - Going Global. Adding a global study & work experience to my resume. I understand that incurring a 50-60Lakh loan at this stage of career/Life is a substantial burden given I have a kid & a mortgage, but willing to take the leap looking at a longer term (10Yr) perspective.
Currently I am on the verge of booking my GMAT slot towards April End and kick start application process for July 16th 2nd round deadline for IVEY for Mar 2019 intake. I know there is lot of work pending yet, given that i haven't started any serous prep of GMAT/Essays/LoR yet. Willing to burn midnight oil for next couple of weeks to rev the engine.

Suggestion needed:
1. Inputs if Global MBA program is a good choice for me after a 2Yr FT MBA in India. (I know i need to back it up with strong reason for 2nd MBA)
2. Is IVEY a best bet for me if i target a score of around 720+ in GMAT.
3. What are the additional schools fellow aspirants with similar profiles are looking into?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Hi krc
1. Yes, it is a good choice, especially if you have global ambitions. On the second part, you may not really need to do that - Ivey is more concerned on why you are applying now, and how this (Ivey) MBA makes sense for you, not on why you need a second MBA. It also does not have an optional essay, so focus on building a story on why Ivey now is the right fit for your goals, not why a second MBA is appropriate for you.
2. 'Best' is a relative term. Depends on what other options/geographies you would want to consider. In Canada, Ivey is among the very best. 720+ is appropriate.
3. Several candidates applying to Ivey also look at other top Canadian programs such as Rotman and Queen's.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I plan to apply in August which will be round 4. Would there be enough seats remaining for an international applicant? I have 6yrs of work experience in Financial Services (Inv Banking + Private Equity) with a 680 in GMAT. Any inputs will be much appreciated.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
kp14 wrote:
I plan to apply in August which will be round 4. Would there be enough seats remaining for an international applicant? I have 6yrs of work experience in Financial Services (Inv Banking + Private Equity) with a 680 in GMAT. Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Yes, you can apply.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
wadepooja9 wrote:
What is the average turnaround time for result post interview?

Around 2 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
May I know the avg GMAT Score.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
is there a https://gmatclub.com/chat group of admitted students?
UBC Sauder Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM