GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Expert
V
Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 05:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (00:49) correct 63% (01:37) wrong based on 7 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT Tutor
G
Re: Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 08:20
Bunuel wrote:
Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the average speed of Jason's car?

(1) Half the distance of the trip was traveled at 50 miles per hour, and the other half of the distance was traveled at 60 miles per hour
(2) Jason traveled 30 miles on his trip

I don't understand the question. Under the assumptions one would normally make in a question like this, each Statement is sufficient alone. Statement 2 is obviously sufficient (we have the total distance and total time), and Statement 1 can be proven sufficient just by assigning a letter to the total distance and solving the resulting average speed problem (the letter will cancel).

But doing that, the answers you'd get from each Statement are different. So if you're making normal assumptions, the statements turn out to be inconsistent, which can't happen in a real GMAT question. So it's unclear to me if there's an issue with the question design, or if there's meant to be some 'trap' in the question. Trap or not, the wording is problematic anyway - the question asks about the speed of "Jason's car" even though we have no idea, from the wording of the rest of the question, if Jason drove a car at all. Maybe he took a train or a plane or walked from Chicago to Milwaukee. He might have left his car at home, or only drove it to the airport. But if that's the "trap", it's one the GMAT would never use. Or maybe there's meant to be some 'trap' involving stops Jason made along the route, though again that wouldn't be fair to a test taker, since most test takers would very reasonably assume we're meant to ignore any stops, as the question is worded.

So I can't guess the intentions behind the question - maybe it's meant to be an easy problem, and the statements are inadvertently inconsistent. Or maybe it's meant to be a tricky problem, but if so, whatever that trick is supposed to be, the question doesn't seem fair as it is presently worded. I was also confused seeing a distance of 30 miles from Chicago to Milwaukee -- they are further apart than that!

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the a   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2019, 08:20

Jason traveled from Chicago to Milwaukee in 30 minutes. What was the a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics