It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan's CAT Tests - Score Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Kaplan's CAT Tests - Score Accuracy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 03:44
Dear all,

I have just finished one of the Kaplan CATs and the score I got seems pretty strange to me:
Q51 (first 14 right...somewhere in the middle are all of my 14 wrong answers)
V28 (21 wrong - mostly in the beginning and in the end)
Total Score: 710 (92 percentile)

So my questions are:
1) How can you get 51 in quant with 14 wrong answers?
2) How accurate is this 710? Using a table for score calculations posted in this site (...gmat-scores-83890.html) is seems that with this low verbal section I should be somewhere between 660-680.

I am taking the GMAT in 2 weeks (after 2 months preparation) and I am aming at a score in the range of 690-710

Thank you!

Best Regards

Raquel10

PS: Just for a comparison:
Before 3 weeks I began taking mock exams. First results were stable 600-610 (Veritas; Kaplan) with Q43-47 and V25-28
I managed to increase the score to 640-650 last week (Veritas, Princeton) with Q48-51 and V28-30
Yesterday I did the The Economist mock and scored 710-750 (Q50-53; V38-42)
I am also not sure about this Verbal section score inconsistency in the last few days :/

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Kaplan's CAT Tests - Score Accuracy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 13:24
Raquel10 wrote:
Dear all,

I have just finished one of the Kaplan CATs and the score I got seems pretty strange to me:
Q51 (first 14 right...somewhere in the middle are all of my 14 wrong answers)
V28 (21 wrong - mostly in the beginning and in the end)
Total Score: 710 (92 percentile)

So my questions are:
1) How can you get 51 in quant with 14 wrong answers?
2) How accurate is this 710? Using a table for score calculations posted in this site (...gmat-scores-83890.html) is seems that with this low verbal section I should be somewhere between 660-680.

I am taking the GMAT in 2 weeks (after 2 months preparation) and I am aming at a score in the range of 690-710

Thank you!

Best Regards

Raquel10

PS: Just for a comparison:
Before 3 weeks I began taking mock exams. First results were stable 600-610 (Veritas; Kaplan) with Q43-47 and V25-28
I managed to increase the score to 640-650 last week (Veritas, Princeton) with Q48-51 and V28-30
Yesterday I did the The Economist mock and scored 710-750 (Q50-53; V38-42)
I am also not sure about this Verbal section score inconsistency in the last few days :/

Hi mate,

how many questions wrong are needed to get q51 - is not the right question.
there are few factors that are taken into consideration when the raw sub-score is calculated.
it might be the case that you got pretty fast (in 14 questions) to the highest level of difficulty, and then, taking turns, you responded correctly/incorrectly.
Q51; V28 - is definitely not close to 710. I would not rely much on economist. I got 750 on its brightest minds contest, yet got 650 on real test.
Q53 - that is unlikely, as 51 is the max score possible on gmat.

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 184

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 17:34
Raquel10 wrote:

You're comparing scores across (different) tests. And I don't see a GMATPrep score anywhere in your post. The official practice tests provide far more reliable score estimates. If you haven't taken a GMATPrep yet, try to take one as soon as possible.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 06:58
Dear Mvictor,

Thanks for your response! Yes, I also thought that with V28 it is impossible to get a score higher than 660-670, that's why I was so surprised to see 710. I have attached a screenshot with the strange Q50-53 on the Economist... As I see it is better to use these tests only as an exercise, rather than as an accurate measure of your real level :/

Regards

Raquel10
Attachments

File comment: The Economist test
GMAT-Econ.jpg
GMAT-Econ.jpg [ 75.82 KiB | Viewed 1544 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 07:09
Dear Ajitesh,

Thank you for the response! This morning I took the first GMATprep test and got my strongest verbal result till now:
680 (Q47,V36)
Surprising mainly because for me this was one of the hardest verbals so far....and now I am not sure if this result happened coincidentally taking into account all the other test results, or it represents the real level on which my skills are...

Best Regards,

Raquel10

VP
VP
D

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 08:13
Raquel10 wrote:
This morning I took the first GMATprep test and got my strongest verbal result till now:
680 (Q47,V36)
Surprising mainly because for me this was one of the hardest verbals so far....and now I am not sure if this result happened coincidentally taking into account all the other test results, or it represents the real level on which my skills are...
If you took the full test and the questions were not already known to you, then yes, this score should be quite representative.

You do have time to take 1-2 more GMATPreps before your exam. Try to get comfortable with your timing strategy (and develop a feel for GMAT quant and verbal).

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 07:41
Hi Raquel10,

I'm concerned to see these results, because a Q51 and V28 do not correspond to a 710. I would definitely like to have our learning science team take a look at what may have caused this, so that we can get an answer for you regarding this score. We at Kaplan take the accuracy of our tests very seriously because we know that test takers like yourself are counting on their accuracy. If you could please send me a private message with your email address and where you took the CAT, we will investigate your results. I will also follow up with you via private message with what we learn.

Thanks,
Jennifer Kindy

Kaplan GMAT Faculty
In Person & Live Online

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 12:20
I have taken kaplan tests and scored around 610(Q48,V26) and 620(Q47,V27). Once among my kaplan tests, I scored 650(Q46,V33). In my gmat prep software tests, I scored 610(Q47,V27) and620(Q49,V25). Since I messed up the timing in verbal and I think may be able to improve so I am thinking to give another mock. Since I have used up both the gmat prep mocks. Can anyone suggest me whether to reset the mock and attempt it or try free manhattan or free kaplan test.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan's CAT Tests - Score Accuracy   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 12:20

Kaplan's CAT Tests - Score Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap