GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 01:31
Hey, I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore hoping to apply for the Harvard Business School 2+2 program. So I've got one year to hone my skills and earn a 750+.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 05:30
masterblaster52 wrote:
Hey, I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore hoping to apply for the Harvard Business School 2+2 program. So I've got one year to hone my skills and earn a 750+.

Hi master, welcome to the club!!

I wish you best of luck for you dream school. You can start your gmat journey by going through this link
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 10:17
Here we go then !! doing self study for a month & half, have taken dates for end of Jan'11 but seems I need to reschedule it now... as it's not going so well (at least as per my expectations..).Being a not native seems to be troubling a bit on verbal side but doing reasonably good on quant...

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 10:20
sorry guys just missed, does any one know how to edit in profile settings so that typing looks smaller to you? when i subscribe to forums it's just too huge font :O, other web sites are doing good with my browser... any help pls..

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Pittsburg State University

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:49
Hello! I am currently enrolled as a Graduate Student but found out quickly that the M.Ed I was enrolled in was not nearly what I wanted in terms of difficulty and focus, so I have enrolled into the MBA program... Although the requirement for admission to the MBA program is only 550 I am shooting for sub 700 as I hope to continue to pursue my Doctorate and find a career in scholarly research and teaching. I have until August '11 so I am hoping frequent visits to GMAT Club will help keep my nose to the grind stone!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 13:28
Hello Everyone. I'm currently a senior Accounting major wanting to get my Masters in Accounting. I come to GMAT Club because I need a 600 or above and within a month. Any suggestion on prep course would be appreciated. From my research, it seems Manhattan is the way to go, but I'm on a time crunch and the earliest Manhattan prep course is Early Jan. to Mid-March. Therefore, it has come to Kaplan vs. Princeton. Both courses run from Early Jan. to Early February, but one (Princeton) cost $200 less. Kaplan or Princeton, or something else?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 11:34
Hi Everyone!
I am Rohan. Currently i am a functional analyst working for a big 4 firm.
I am slowly transitioning towards becoming an entrepreneur and the broad targets are NTU,NUS,HKUST,ISB,Stanford,Insead. i will narrow down once i am ready to apply. The target year is 2012.
The target score is 800 (why compromise?), and i haven't yet taken a diagnostic to determine any score lag i may have.
In the coming weeks i am planning to start discussions related to quant first(and then move on to verbal), just need time to go through the existing ones so that mine doesn't overlap.
This is my first post here and am sure in the coming months, together we can and we will crack the gmat!!

Many Best Wishes to all and GOD Bless!

“Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.” - Winston Churchill

Intern
Intern
WE 1: High Performance. Delivered.
WE 2: Big Blue
WE 3: Indian IT Pure-play

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2010, 01:52
Feels good to introduce myself with my first post(finally).

My initial target to apply to B-Schools was this year, but a role change at the workplace ensured I had enough to keep myself busy this entire year. So now, I am a prospective 2011 applicant, targeting the 2012 Fall intake.

Professionally, I am a guy who knows his way around with Computers and Finance, and therefore bank's trust me to design and develop Enterprise Information Portals for them. I will be having 8 years of experience at matriculation, and I have spent these years at Infosys, IBM and Accenture, the period of time spent at each place resembling an ascending geometric progression.

I am currently based out of Charlotte, NC, having moved here two years back. The past couple of years that I have spent in the US has helped me further convince myself of the value of an international MBA - and now there is no looking back. My medium term career goal is to move into Technology Consulting, with primary focus on the Financial Sector.

My GMAT preps are on in full swing, and I am targeting February '11 for my first attempt. Assuming I can break into the 700 club, and keeping my background in mind, the schools I am targeting are:
a. Ross
b. Duke
c. Darden
d. Tepper
e. Kenan-Flagler
d. McCombs

Wish the very best for all of you in the middle of R2 applications, and a big 'hi' to the folks in my boat - studying for the GMAT.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2010, 21:40
Hi Everyone,

My name is Greg, and I have been lurking through the forums since November. The reason for this post (my first really), is not so much to introduce myself. I’m at a point, and I could use some encouragement.

I’ve made some of the mistakes others talk about avoiding. Initially, I thought my engineering background would carry me through. Then I thought, "Just a quick brush up on my [mad] skillz and I’ll be good to go." I rounded out my trio of faux pas by jumping right into the OG questions.

Great! So ... November 1st I began an aggressive regiment of studies. I am up at 6 AM; I study until 8:00 – 8:30. After work (between 5:30 and 6:00 PM), I jump back into my studies. I continue until 8 PM or so, and try to unwind before bed. I get six to eight hours (depending on how my stamina holds up) each day on the weekends.

I was turned on to the MGMAT guides right at five weeks ago. I just finished the 5th guide (Geometry). It feels good to be through the quant guides. At the same time, I have a sinking feeling I’m still not up to the task – even considering only the quant section.

I’ve done every "In Action" problem in the guides. I’ve done every OG 12 and OG Quant review problem (many of them more than once). I’ve taken as much as thirty minutes trying to understand a single problem. Yet I continue to have that, "I don’t know what I am doing" or the "OK I got it right, but it took like ten minutes" feeling FAR too often.

Ok, so I finish where I started ... asking for encouragement. Will I ever feel "ready" for the test, or will I have to (at some point) hold my breath and hope for the best? Is it possible I am focusing my efforts in the wrong place? Any sage words of advice and/or encouragement would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance to any and all who respond – cheers!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas,Cranfield,Oxford,LBS,ISB

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2010, 02:24
I took the GMAT on 3rd of December and ended up with 720.
49 in Quants and 40 in verbal. 5.5 in AWA. I am satisfied with the score because i have a decent work ex to back it up.
Thanks to GMAT club for all the support and guidance.

http://insomniac-anish.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2010, 11:20
gmontalvo wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My name is Greg, and I have been lurking through the forums since November. The reason for this post (my first really), is not so much to introduce myself. I’m at a point, and I could use some encouragement.

I’ve made some of the mistakes others talk about avoiding. Initially, I thought my engineering background would carry me through. Then I thought, "Just a quick brush up on my [mad] skillz and I’ll be good to go." I rounded out my trio of faux pas by jumping right into the OG questions.

Great! So ... November 1st I began an aggressive regiment of studies. I am up at 6 AM; I study until 8:00 – 8:30. After work (between 5:30 and 6:00 PM), I jump back into my studies. I continue until 8 PM or so, and try to unwind before bed. I get six to eight hours (depending on how my stamina holds up) each day on the weekends.

I was turned on to the MGMAT guides right at five weeks ago. I just finished the 5th guide (Geometry). It feels good to be through the quant guides. At the same time, I have a sinking feeling I’m still not up to the task – even considering only the quant section.

I’ve done every "In Action" problem in the guides. I’ve done every OG 12 and OG Quant review problem (many of them more than once). I’ve taken as much as thirty minutes trying to understand a single problem. Yet I continue to have that, "I don’t know what I am doing" or the "OK I got it right, but it took like ten minutes" feeling FAR too often.

Ok, so I finish where I started ... asking for encouragement. Will I ever feel "ready" for the test, or will I have to (at some point) hold my breath and hope for the best? Is it possible I am focusing my efforts in the wrong place? Any sage words of advice and/or encouragement would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance to any and all who respond – cheers!

Hey Greg,
Based on my assessment, the challenge you are facing seems to arise out of over-expectation, which is causing you to lose belief in yourself and hence your confidence. The case may be that people around you are repeatedly reminding you of GMAT and its effects on your career and you are not that confident about the result.The best part is, this is an easy challenge to overcome, the reason being that whatever you need to succeed is already within you. It's only a matter of discovering it rather than inventing it.

TRUST the books/notes you are referring. You must have carried out a detailed survey to determine the best ones and now now that you have gathered all that material with you, be sure to stick with them. Don't doubt them halfway through just because some other book appeals or is marketed well by somebody. Because there is always a way to be 'turned on' by every other book in the market. Keep reminding this to yourself. Don't even bother looking at books related to 'last minute tips','quick formula/shortcut references'.

WRITE -- strategies/rules in Verbal and make sure to solve Quant problems on paper.

REVISE the stuff that you have gone through. This way you will reiterate to your sub-conscious mind that the material is exhaustive enough and hence boost the confidence.

PRACTICE the CATs. Once you are through with them, don't look at the score,make sure to analyse each and every question(whether right/wrong) in depth. The aim should be to make sure that a particular mistake is never repeated in the subsequent exams and to come up with a strategy that suits you the best.

Lastly, always be SELF CONFIDENT,OPTIMISTIC and PERSISTENT.

Best Wishes!!

“Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.” - Winston Churchill

Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2010, 20:18
rohant wrote:
Hey Greg,
Based on my assessment, the challenge you are facing seems to arise out of over-expectation, which is causing you to lose belief in yourself and hence your confidence. The case may be that people around you are repeatedly reminding you of GMAT and its effects on your career and you are not that confident about the result.The best part is, this is an easy challenge to overcome, the reason being that whatever you need to succeed is already within you. It's only a matter of discovering it rather than inventing it.

TRUST the books/notes you are referring. You must have carried out a detailed survey to determine the best ones and now now that you have gathered all that material with you, be sure to stick with them. Don't doubt them halfway through just because some other book appeals or is marketed well by somebody. Because there is always a way to be 'turned on' by every other book in the market. Keep reminding this to yourself. Don't even bother looking at books related to 'last minute tips','quick formula/shortcut references'.

WRITE -- strategies/rules in Verbal and make sure to solve Quant problems on paper.

REVISE the stuff that you have gone through. This way you will reiterate to your sub-conscious mind that the material is exhaustive enough and hence boost the confidence.

PRACTICE the CATs. Once you are through with them, don't look at the score,make sure to analyse each and every question(whether right/wrong) in depth. The aim should be to make sure that a particular mistake is never repeated in the subsequent exams and to come up with a strategy that suits you the best.

Lastly, always be SELF CONFIDENT,OPTIMISTIC and PERSISTENT.

Best Wishes!!

Hi Rohan,

Your words of encouragement are truly appreciated. You may well be right; I could be building up the exam to be something more than it really is. Many software developers think they are good with math, and I am no exception. Nonetheless, the process of preparation is humbling.

That said - I have invested too much time to change course now. I’ve got my mind set on Duke, and nothing else will do. I’m applying for round six, so I have some time (but not too much). I will keep plugging away at it as long as I can. If I end up not doing well, it won't be for a lack of effort.

Again, thank you for the kind words ... I hope to be able to repay the favor at some point – Merry Christmas!

Greg
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 10:28
Hi, I am newbie.This is my frist post ...lol.
say hi to all.
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2010, 13:17
Welcome to the club!

you are on a right path joining our 100k members community.

Please see this threads, they will help you to orient in your GMAT jorney:
Study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
Best books(review): best-gmat-books-77703.html
All practice tests: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?highlight=ml502 One of the most realiable tests is GMATprep - download it from mba.com

Gmatclub tests: hardest quantative problems for 48+ score http://gmatclub.com/tests/

On-line courses from different companies: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 480 Q25 V31
GMAT 2: 550 Q30 V36
GPA: 3.09
WE: Other (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 01:29
Hi, my name is Reynaldo. I have a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration focused on Banking and Finance from a top South American University in 2007, with a minor in Financial Engineering. I worked in a Big Four consulting firm for a couple of months, then move to the financial industry, until the 2008 financial crisis hit hard and I was let go, this prompt me to move to another industrial area, which I found on the financial side of the construction business, until this year when I decided to buy a franchise.
My first try at the gmat is expected to be on February 2011, I have been studying since September.

Thanks to all the contributors in the site,

Good luck on your GMAT

Reynaldo
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 06:05
Hi everyone,

I'm a senior at a top public US university (ie Michigan, UVA, UNC, Berkeley etc.) majoring in Business, and I'm looking at taking the gmat this spring semester.

I'll be working in investment banking for the next 2 years and I know it's going to be impossible to study when I get home, so I definitely want to get the gmat out of the way :-D

Thanks in advance for the wealth of information on here. I've read all the sticky threads (introduction to gmat, strategies, best books, etc.), and look forward to getting the process underway.

My ideal score is mid 700's, and I'm looking at the M7 business schools!

Tuaj
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: APEGM
GMAT Date: 02-03-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 09:44
Hi all!

I came across this website actually running through the iPhone apps, and it has proven to be a great resource for information, support, reviews, and questions! I made the choice to pursue a MBA or at least do up to the GMAT portion based on my current role at my company. I am switching from design engineering into marketing and sales.

I am an older test taker (30's) with the aim of taking the GMAT (Target: 700) in the late spring. My background is in Engineering. With that in mind, I thought I would have at least the Quant section in hand, but alas that is not the case (Knewton Diagnostic 460 (Q29,V26)). I have a long road ahead getting the basic math and verbal fundamentals down again. I will do my best to prevail!

My current prep for the GMAT is taking the Knewton Online Course supplemented with Older Kaplan GMAT (2001), OG12, GMAT Club info/tests, MGMAT SC, and all the CATs I can get my hands on.

I haven't really thought too much about schools, but I was thinking a 700 score would allow a few more doors to open. At the present, I am thinking of enrolling PT at Emory or Distance at Indiana, Arizona State, Warwick, IEBS, or Thunderbird Global.

Good luck to everyone and look forward to talking to all of you on the forums!

CN-
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2011, 16:01
Hiii everyone!

I'm taking the GMAT in the last week of MArch 2011(my second attempt at it :oops: ). I realized that I failed in the first attempt because I did not get into concepts well and instead went straight to OG/kaplan problems. I bought a whole new set of MGMAT guides(all 9,including Foundation of Math) and started studying now by hitting the basics. Hope to get it better this time :P . I have a 650 in mind. Not really thought about the schools as of now. I'm not working right now and so concentrating on the GMAT as much as possible(3-4 hours minimum study daily). Plan to change careers after my graduate degree.

Good Luck to all of us :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 09:17
Hello, I'm am starting all over. I have spent the past 6 months on taking some Quant type clases. Such as Stats, Calc, Finite Math, and the like. I have been out of college since 2001, and needed a strong refresher of math. So I invested the time in some classes to kick start my GMAT prep. I have taken it once before with little to no preperation, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND not doing that. I scored a terrifying 450, that was one year ago almost to the day.

I have recommited myself, and 4 hrs a day for the next 6 weeks, to the GMAT. My goal is to attend the University of Tennessee. It is the only option for me due to life circumstances. I have already submitted the application, and had the interview, where I received great feedback about my essays. The director herself said they were quite good.

So the final step is getting an average GMAT score, I really would like to break 650, but will be happy with anything above 600.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:29
Hello hurleycr and welcome to the club!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 10:29

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  66    Next  [ 1317 posts ] 

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap