It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4779

Kudos [?]: 18670 [0], given: 1994

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 07:55
Expert's post
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:32) correct 47% (01:30) wrong based on 272 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.

A. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations

B. will bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pump hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

C. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

D. to bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations

E. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18670 [0], given: 1994

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 359

Kudos [?]: 228 [1], given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 08:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
"are bankrolling"; "pumping" clause acts as an adverbial modifier; Parallelism : into 1. medical malpractice claims, 2. divorce battles and 3. class actions against corporations.

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 228 [1], given: 133

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 111

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 28

Location: United States (GA)
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 10:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.


by removing the portion with the strike through, we can see that options B and D are incorrect

Option A: are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.

"For" seems odd. Put it to the side and review C and E

Option C: are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars intomedical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

"into" sounds a lot better. Hold C and throw away A.


Option E: are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations

has into, but also has for in front of divorce battles. This changes the meaning of the sentence by making medical malpractice claims directly connected to divorce battles.
_________________

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 28

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 20:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is C.

The Parallelism is an issue here.

There are two list. First, bankrolling...... and pumping......no issue here
Second list is for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions.......problem is here and corrected in C.

A --> Parallelism issue
B --> Changes the tense, however I dont see any issue with parallelism.
D --> parallelism issue.
E --> same issue.

However, I need some confirmation.

If we discount the change of tense, isnt option B grammatically correct. In Option D, changing "are bankrolling" to "to bankroll" also results in loss of verb.

Regards,
Tushar

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 353

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 08:41
souvik101990 wrote:
Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.

A. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations

B. will bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pump hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

C. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

D. to bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations

E. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations


Can someone explain how option C is correct

IMO - Option 'C' has list but it doesn't have marker at the end of the list
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 09:05
smartguy595 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.

A. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations

B. will bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pump hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

C. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

D. to bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations

E. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations


Can someone explain how option C is correct

IMO - Option 'C' has list but it doesn't have marker at the end of the list


"pumping..... " is a present participle modifier that modifies the entire previous clause " Large banks...... are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits". The present participle modifier "pumping..." depicts how Large banks etc. are bankrolling other people's money; "pumping" and "bankrolling" are not parallel items in a list.

Does this answer your query?

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 353

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 09:23
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations.

A. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars for medical malpractice claims, divorcing battles and class actions against corporations

B. will bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pump hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

C. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, divorce battles and class actions against corporations

D. to bankroll other people‘s lawsuits, pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations

E. are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits, for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into medical malpractice claims, for divorce battles and class actions against corporations


Can someone explain how option C is correct

IMO - Option 'C' has list but it doesn't have marker at the end of the list


"pumping..... " is a present participle modifier that modifies the entire previous clause " Large banks...... are bankrolling other people‘s lawsuits". The present participle modifier "pumping..." depicts how Large banks etc. are bankrolling other people's money; "pumping" and "bankrolling" are not parallel items in a list.

Does this answer your query?


So the correct sentence means as below:

Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling
other people‘s lawsuitspumping hundreds of millions of dollars into
medical malpractice claims,
divorce battles and
class actions against corporations

Please correct me if am wrong
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 13:29
smartguy595 wrote:

So the correct sentence means as below:

Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry for new and lucrative opportunities are bankrolling
other people‘s lawsuitspumping hundreds of millions of dollars into
medical malpractice claims,
divorce battles and
class actions against corporations

Please correct me if am wrong


Probably there are some typos in the sentence in your response. The correct option means:

Large banks etc. are bankrolling lawsuits BY pumping dollars into medical claims etc.

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 22

SVP
SVP
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1860

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 2406

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 02:25
Only structures in B and C make logical and grammatical senses.
B is wrong b/c "class actions" is a noun.
Also, " lawsuits" is modified in C. -> C is better than B.

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 2406

Re: Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2018, 02:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Large banks, hedge funds and private investors hungry

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.