GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 05:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:36) correct 47% (01:54) wrong based on 162 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both acid rock drainage, acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering the receiving environment to its detriment, but are harmless if collected and disposed of in time.

(A) acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering

(B) which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, as well as the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering

(C) the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

(D) acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

(E) which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Most Helpful Community Reply
SC Moderator
V
Re: Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 16:04

Official Explanation:

Answer - E
Concepts tested: Modifiers, Parallelism, Idioms

A - ‘altering…’ modifies the entire preceding clause, whereas it must modify ‘tailings’.
B – Same as A. Additionally, the use of ‘both’ and ‘as well as’ in B is redundant.
C - ‘and’ is missing before ‘the deposition’ and are, therefore, run-on sentences.
D – Same as C
E – This option uses the right modifier as the “Which” refers to acid rock drainage.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 06:52
"Both" requires "and" and phrase "Which may alter" is parallel to "are harmless if collected". So I will go with E here

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2018, 09:42
aragonn wrote:
Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both acid rock drainage, acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering the receiving environment to its detriment, but are harmless if collected and disposed of in time.

(A) acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering

(B) which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, as well as the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering

(C) the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

(D) acid water flowing out from abandoned mines, the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

(E) which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

+1 for E

(B) which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, as well as the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, altering --> Both X as well as Y is wrong idiomatic usage

--> We have two modifiers here "which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines" modifying - acid rock drainage
and "elements or compounds uncovered during mining" modifying - the deposition of tailings. Here, 'which' is modifying both of them as we can observe in the non underlined part of the sentence - but are harmless ( plural are signifies both X and Y are modified by 'which')

Originally posted by Akash720 on 08 Oct 2018, 09:08.
Last edited by Akash720 on 08 Oct 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 09:26
Akash720 both used for 2 things only..... I think u should revisit your answer

Simple strategy:

My Notes:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 09:43
aragonn wrote:
Akash720 both used for 2 things only..... I think u should revisit your answer

Thanks aragonn, I hope I've corrected my mistake.
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 09:54
aragonn wrote:

IMO E.

Options B, C and D are wrong because of idiom error, 'both X and Y.
And I think Option A is wrong for two reasons: 'acid water flowing...' seems to be an item in the list, both X, Y and Z and doesn't clearly modifies 'acid rock drainage'; if altering is used then there is no clear plural noun for 'but are harmless...' clause.
Option E corrects these two mistakes by using 'which is...' to modify 'drainage' and by using 'elements... which may... but are...' to make clear: 'elements' as the plural noun subject for 'but are...' clause.
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:40
+1 for E, however, I'm not too pleased with the option itself.

Quote:
acid rock drainage which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

Isn't there a parallelism error here? Shouldn't it be "drainage of acid rocks" and "deposition of tailings" or "acid rock drainage" and "tailing deposition"?

Looking forward to the OA and a correction if my reasoning is incorrect.
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 08:21
shaarang wrote:
+1 for E, however, I'm not too pleased with the option itself.

Quote:
acid rock drainage which is the outflow of acidic water from abandoned mines, and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter

Isn't there a parallelism error here? Shouldn't it be "drainage of acid rocks" and "deposition of tailings" or "acid rock drainage" and "tailing deposition"?

Looking forward to the OA and a correction if my reasoning is incorrect.

Hi,

There isn't a parallelism error because the sentence is comparing same entity, noun. For parallelism to hold the noun form need not follow same structure.
Same goes for participles, V+ed particle can be in parallel with V+ing participle when they describe a common entity.
For participles you can visit this post for further detail: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-verb-ing-can-be-parallel-126923.html

Hope this helps!
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 10:39
In E: "..., and the deposition of tailings, elements or compounds uncovered during mining, which may alter"

"which" can modifies "mining" or "elements or compound" am I right? Is there ambiguity here??

Thanks

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 10:39

Large scale mining of metal and coal in the region has led to both

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics