GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Luck is no excuse (From 630 to 740)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Luck is no excuse (From 630 to 740)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jan 2018, 11:39
Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this De-brief for a long time but life came in between. However, I promise to stay connected with this awesome community as much as I can. What this community taught me is unparallel to any education I got so far. So Thank You GMATClub

I am a non-native and non-academic type of person. It all started in June 2017 when I started my GMAT preparation and wanted to do something significant in my life. I charted out a plan and GMAT exam was the first step.

Let me tell you honestly when I gave my first mock I scored 520 something with 22 in Verbal. I bought OG and started solving Bunuel questions on daily basis. I finished Aristotle Grail and Manhattan SC guides. Bought Powerscore for CR and started solving questions on GMAT Club. I was learning concepts and was getting good at solving questions in time.

I gave my first attempt in Mid-July and scored 630 (Q47, V29). I was thoroughly shattered to see my Quant score as I was scoring good in Quant from Day 1. I remember calling my wife after coming out of the center and telling her that I have not canceled my score. I want colleges to see my perseverance and that I am confident I will do better next time. Read my ESR of first exam here
https://gmatclub.com/forum/esr-analysis ... 45644.html
I figured out that exam is not only about concepts but also about your mental strength.
I believe if you want to excel the exam so badly that your life is dependent on it, you will push yourself towards the upper limit of your mental stamina. Also, It is very important to stay connected to outside world, especially your family and friends.

When I came back to study mode in August I started solving official questions only. Bought EP1, EP2, QP1. As advised by GMATNinja
In the process, I gave a lot of mocks (Check my nervousness and my mock scores before the second attempt here)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-1 ... 54600.html

Finally the D-Day I was afraid and confident. Sorry cannot explain my feelings but I focused on taking one step at a time. Started with Quant and finished it with 15 minutes left. I solved my last question like 5 times. Then came Verbal. It went smoothly and I remember someone sneezing multiple times.
When the score popped up I couldn’t believe. Although I consider myself a strong and non-emotional person, I think 1 or 2 drops of tear tried to make their way out.

I would like to thank bb AjiteshArun GMATNinja for their constant motivation and support.

I will not be able to sleep If I do not thank Bunuel. Sir, you are the sole reason I was able to score 51 in Quants.

Thanks a lot to everyone for everything you do
Luckisnoexcuse

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Originally posted by Luckisnoexcuse on 10 Jan 2018, 05:29.
Last edited by Luckisnoexcuse on 11 Jan 2018, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Luck is no excuse (From 630 to 740)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 05:50
Congrats Luckisnoexcuse

It is nice to see such an improvement! Q51 is truly magnificent. Wish you all the best for the applications.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 05:56
Luckisnoexcuse

Let me take the honor of being the first to congratulate on such a massive improvement.

Quote:
I want colleges to see my perseverance and that I am confident I will do better next time.

Truly deserved!

Quote:
Although I consider myself a strong and non-emotional person, I think 1 or 2 drops of tear tried to make their way out.

That reflects amount of hard work put in by you.

Can you highlight on what particular change in strategy you implemented from first mock, then actual exams (first and second attempts)
I also saw quite shorter duration of interval between few non-official mocks. Was your strategy to build upon on stamina while taking them?

Your specific insights on learning from mistakes and pacing / analysis from ESR will help fellow members in more better manner.

Wishing you all the very best for your apps!!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:39
adkikani wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse

Let me take the honor of being the first to congratulate on such a massive improvement.

Quote:
I want colleges to see my perseverance and that I am confident I will do better next time.

Truly deserved!

Quote:
Although I consider myself a strong and non-emotional person, I think 1 or 2 drops of tear tried to make their way out.

That reflects amount of hard work put in by you.

Can you highlight on what particular change in strategy you implemented from first mock, then actual exams (first and second attempts)
I also saw quite shorter duration of interval between few non-official mocks. Was your strategy to build upon on stamina while taking them?

Your specific insights on learning from mistakes and pacing / analysis from ESR will help fellow members in more better manner.

Wishing you all the very best for your apps!!

Thanks
I may not be able to give you much advice as I am not an expert. I can tell you what I did and what worked.

Although I didn't change my strategy entirely. I felt I was more focused on concepts in my first attempt and not on other important things which GMAT is trying to test.
1. Excelling concepts: I started from here
2. Attention span: I joined Gym and started using Headspace (Daily for 10 mins in Morning)
3. Understanding Meaning: Very important for Verbal (almost all questions in verbal when you are finalizing your answer between the last two options, it all comes to meaning and intent)
4. Reading books/novels
5. Staying happy - Made this my life and not a burden; I still feel solving questions daily as I am used to it. Although App phase is too nerve-wracking
For Quant:
I solved a lot of official questions (600-700 and 700+); Daily Bunuel Questions, GMAT Club Tests, Quantitative Mega-Thread (Check Bunuel's Signature)...Trust me no one needs anything beyond this
For Verbal:
Solved almost all official questions and analyzed them properly.
Souvik's - Everything official questions..Thank you souvik101990 for them
EP1, EP2, GMAT Prep, QP1, OG (all years), Verbal Review (all years)
Followed GMATNinja ; His advice is gold
CR: I believe no one can teach you this; it gets absorbed into your DNA after sometime
RC: Reading helped me in my comprehending speed; solved few daily
In the last 45 days of my preparation, I used GMAT Club workbook to analyze all my wrong questions and analyzed all the options.

Want to show you my study board. This image was my mobile's wallpaper for two months.
[img]1.jpg[/img]

Stay healthy stay focused
All the best
Attachments

1.jpg
1.jpg [ 975.53 KiB | Viewed 3511 times ]

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Originally posted by Luckisnoexcuse on 10 Jan 2018, 06:22.
Last edited by Luckisnoexcuse on 10 Jan 2018, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 18:20
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this De-brief for a long time but life came in between. However, I promise to stay connected with this awesome community as much as I can. What this community taught me is unparallel to any education I got so far. So Thank You GMATClub

I am a non-native and non-academic type of person. It all started in June 2017 when I started my GMAT preparation and wanted to do something significant in my life. I charted out a plan and GMAT exam was the first step.

Let me tell you honestly when I gave my first mock I scored 520 something with 22 in Verbal. I bought OG and started solving Bunuel questions on daily basis. I finished Aristotle Grail and Manhattan SC guides. Bought Powerscore for CR and started solving questions on GMAT Club. I was learning concepts and was getting good at solving questions in time.

I gave my first attempt in Mid-July and scored 630 (Q47, V29). I was thoroughly shattered to see my Quant score as I was scoring good in Quant from Day 1. I remember calling my wife after coming out of the center and telling her that I have not canceled my score. I want colleges to see my perseverance and that I am confident I will do better next time. Read my ESR of first exam here
I took a leave from everything and went to visit my hometown to secure some peace of mind. I figured out that exam is not only about concepts but also about your mental strength.
I believe if you want to excel the exam so badly that your life is dependent on it, you will push yourself towards the upper limit of your mental stamina. Also, It is very important to stay connected to outside world, especially your family and friends, as they are the confidence-boosting penicillin when you are down with a low-morale fever.

When I came back to study mode in August I started solving official questions only. Bought EP1, EP2, QP1. As advised by GMATNinja
In the process, I gave a lot of mocks (Check my nervousness and my mock scores before the second attempt here)

Finally the D-Day I was afraid and confident. Sorry cannot explain my feelings but I focused on taking one step at a time. Started with Quant and finished it with 15 minutes left. I solved my last question like 5 times. Then came Verbal. It went smoothly and I remember someone sneezing multiple times.
When the score popped up I couldn’t believe. Although I consider myself a strong and non-emotional person, I think 1 or 2 drops of tear tried to make their way out.

I would like to thank bb AjiteshArun GMATNinja for their constant motivation and support.

I will not be able to sleep If I do not thank Bunuel. Sir, you are the sole reason I was able to score 51 in Quants.

Luckisnoexcuse

Congrats Luckisnoexcuse on the Great Score... You truly deserved it..!!
I am struggling in Verbal and my score is always around 20-25... Can you please share some tips to increase the Verbal score. I am targeting around V38-40. Any advise from you will be really helpful.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 19:13
Wow - fantastic Job and a great score!
Thanks for mentioning me. Thrilled to see your score! That should get you anywhere you want to be.

P.S. When are you applying?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 22:19
bb wrote:
Wow - fantastic Job and a great score!
Thanks for mentioning me. Thrilled to see your score! That should get you anywhere you want to be.

P.S. When are you applying?

Hi bb
R2 this year (Submitted for 6 colleges; 3 more to go)

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jan 2018, 11:45
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hello everyone,

I took a leave from everything and went to visit my hometown to secure some peace of mind. I figured out that exam is not only about concepts but also about your mental strength.
I believe if you want to excel the exam so badly that your life is dependent on it, you will push yourself towards the upper limit of your mental stamina. Also, It is very important to stay connected to outside world, especially your family and friends, as they are the confidence-boosting penicillin when you are down with a low-morale fever.

Luckisnoexcuse

Congrats Luckisnoexcuse on the Great Score... You truly deserved it..!!
I am struggling in Verbal and my score is always around 20-25... Can you please share some tips to increase the Verbal score. I am targeting around V38-40. Any advise from you will be really helpful.

Hi rahul16singh28
I am no expert, but I did the following things for a long time persistently.
For Verbal:
Solved almost all official questions and analyzed them properly.
Souvik's - Everything official questions..Thank you souvik101990 for them
EP1, EP2, GMAT Prep, QP1, OG (all years), Verbal Review (all years)
Followed GMATNinja ; His advice is gold
CR: I believe no one can teach you this; it gets absorbed into your DNA after some time (Powerscore is Good; broall ' LSAT CR questions are good for practice if official questions are over/ Thank you broall for that.
RC: Reading helped me in my comprehending speed; solved few daily
In the last 45 days of my preparation, I used GMAT Club workbook to analyze all my wrong questions and analyzed all the options.

ATB and stay focused

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Originally posted by Luckisnoexcuse on 10 Jan 2018, 22:24.
Last edited by Luckisnoexcuse on 11 Jan 2018, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 07:12
Many congratulations! You did it.

"A river cut through rock not because of its power, but because of its perseverance" - Jim Watkins

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 19:48
Holy crap, congratulations on the amazing score! I think of you as one of those regular "good guys of GMAT Club" that I see all over the place in verbal-land, and it always makes my day to see somebody like you succeed -- and I'm honored to have been a tiny tiny part of the process.

I hope that you've been celebrating your butt off, and please tag me whenever you get into schools. Really curious to see where you land in the end.

Congratulations again, my brother!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2018, 08:52
Top Contributor
Hi Luckisnoexcuse ,

Especially at the top end of the GMAT scoring scale, 110 points is a legit improvement--and I see that your score is now verified, too! Congrats on the excellent score, thanks for your contributions to the knowledge base, and good luck with your next steps.

p.s. If you ever ordered your ESR, then I'm sure there are many like me who would enjoy learning from it. Your amazing Q51 is almost certain to show only 0-2 wrong, but your V38 could have resulted from a wider range of scenarios. However, based on your high composite score, I'm guessing that you answered zero incorrectly on Quant.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 15 Jan 2018, 23:57.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 16 Jan 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 04:22
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Luckisnoexcuse ,

Especially at the top end of the GMAT scoring scale, 90 points is a legit improvement--and I see that your score is now verified, too! Congrats on the excellent score, thanks for your contributions to the knowledge base, and good luck with your next steps.

p.s. If you ever ordered your ESR, then I'm sure there are many like me who would enjoy learning from it. Your amazing Q51 is almost certain to show only 0-2 wrong, but your V38 could have resulted from a wider range of scenarios. However, based on your high composite score, I'm guessing that you answered zero incorrectly on Quant.

Hello mcelroytutoring,

Thank you
I didn't order ESR but I was shocked during my Quant section experience; my 30th question was a very simple number question and after finishing my 37th question I had like 13-14 mins left. 630 to 740 (110 point jump) was little unexpected for me as well.
Thank you for everything you do
Best

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 04:26
GMATNinja wrote:
Holy crap, congratulations on the amazing score! I think of you as one of those regular "good guys of GMAT Club" that I see all over the place in verbal-land, and it always makes my day to see somebody like you succeed -- and I'm honored to have been a tiny tiny part of the process.

I hope that you've been celebrating your butt off, and please tag me whenever you get into schools. Really curious to see where you land in the end.

Congratulations again, my brother!

Hello GMATNinja
Thank you
I said the same thing "Holy Crap" when I saw my score on the screen. You were the reason for my jump from V29 to V38. I think I have read your every thread, comment on every question in GMATClub. Thanks for being the constant source of inspiration. (I am still not sure whether usage of "being" here is correct..lol..who cares..)
Will keep you updated

Thanks for everything you do
Best

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 09:08
Top Contributor
110 points of improvement--that's correct (and edited above accordingly)! Didn't mean to shortchange you there. Either I misread that small-font 630 as a 650, or my math skills start to deteriorate as the midnight hour approaches. ;)

With a V38, you probably got about 5-8 wrong out of the 30 counted questions on Verbal, depending on where those questions appeared and their respective difficulty levels, among other factors. The ESR isn't worth it for you at this point (no need to retake), so I don't blame you for not spending another $25 to find out something you (basically) already know.

As far as getting a very easy question served to you around #30 on Quant, that happened to me the last time I took the test as well, and I scored Q50! There is a strong chance that these strangely easy Quant questions were some of the 7 experimental questions. However, we have learned from studying ESRs that the experimental questions might count more than the GMAC admits, so it is important not to make any careless mistakes on those, either.

I am impressed that you finished with 13-14 minutes to spare on Quant and still scored a perfect Q51. The ESR would have reflected that, too (it gives timing data). I have always needed all 75 minutes on Quant, but I do remember finishing over 10 minutes early on Verbal the times I scored V48 and V47. Sometimes being aggressive and decisive can be a good thing!

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 18:05
Congratulations man! Very inspiring.

I loved this part:

"I figured out that exam is not only about concepts but also about your mental strength.
I believe if you want to excel the exam so badly that your life is dependent on it, you will push yourself towards the upper limit of your mental stamina. Also, It is very important to stay connected to outside world, especially your family and friends."

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 23:27
Hello everyone,

I have collected and practiced a lot of questions during my Exam phase. I will be happy to share those. Please PM me your email ID and i will be more than happy to share those PDFs.

All the best

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 23:58
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have collected and practiced a lot of questions during my Exam phase. I will be happy to share those. Please PM me your email ID and i will be more than happy to share those PDFs.

All the best

Hi.. can you please share to me..
Email I'd - rahul16singh28@gmail.con.. Thanks in Advance

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 00:02
Hi bb
R2 this year (Submitted for 6 colleges; 3 more to go)[/quote]

Congrats!! Just out of curiosity...Which colleges did you apply in ??
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 00:06
sachanmeenal wrote:
Hi bb

Congrats!! Just out of curiosity...Which colleges did you apply in ??[/quote]

LBS, Sloan, Duke, Tepper, UNC, Kelley, Mccombs, NYU, Ross (all in R2)

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 02:31
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
sachanmeenal wrote:
Hi bb

Congrats!! Just out of curiosity...Which colleges did you apply in ??

LBS, Sloan, Duke, Tepper, UNC, Kelley, Mccombs, NYU, Ross (all in R2)[/quote]
Great! Thats a very thorough list. I hope you get an acceptance from all your dream colleges. All the best!

Sent from my Le X526 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Luck is no excuse (From 630 to 740) &nbs [#permalink] 07 Feb 2018, 02:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Luck is no excuse (From 630 to 740)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap