GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Manhattan SC Strategy guide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
Manhattan SC Strategy guide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:54
Hi guys,

I have started to go over the Manhattan SC strategy guide. In the 2nd chapter of the guide i encountered this sentence which according to Manhattan's explanation isn't correct: "Unlike Alaska, where the winter is quite cold, the temperature in Florida rarely goes below freezing". Upon to their explanation, the sentence is incorrect, because it technically says that Alaska and the temperature in Florida dissimilar (and not that Alaska and Florida are dissimilar) and it's illogical. I don't understand the explanation and there is no any further elaboration why, given the structure of the sentence, the comparison is technically between Alaska and temperature and not between Alaska and Florida. Moreover - what change is require to make the sentence logically correct?

Any idea?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Manhattan SC Strategy guide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:13
Line and Unlike comparison should be between nouns. Here if non-underline part states Unlike Alaska then it should be compared to Florida

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:15
In the two clauses, find out what the subjects are. In the first clause, its Alaska, in the second its temperature in Florida. Now you cannot compare apples to footballs , you compare apples to another fruit. What I mean to say is, compare like things. So either compare Alaska and Florida, or compare the temperature in Alaska to temperature in Florida.

So the sentence should be

Unlike Alaska, where the winter is .., Florida has a temperature that rarely goes below freezing point. (Not the perfect sentence but comparisons on point here).
Or

Unlike temperature in Alaska, words describing temperature in Alaska (not just Alaska) , the temperature in Florida rarely goes below freezing.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Manager
Manager
B
Manhattan SC Strategy guide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:35
GmatBawse - You mean that the comparison should be between words that serve the same grammatical role (in our case subjects)?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum[/quote]
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:49
I would not say serve the same grammatical role, rather would suggest that serve to contribute to the meaning and sense of the sentence. So either we compare regions (Alaska and Florida) or temperatures of Alaska and Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Re: Manhattan SC Strategy guide   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2017, 01:49

Manhattan SC Strategy guide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap