It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 717 [2], given: 101

Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:22) correct 41% (01:29) wrong based on 864 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitable organizations, and are more likely to purchase clothing from companies that donate a portion of their profits to charity. Next weekend, a variety of fashion clothing retailers will hold sample sales at a downtown event; the event’s organizers plan to hand out flyers listing which of the retailers donate to charity from their profits, in the hope of increasing those companies’ sales at the event.

Which of the following, if true, most calls into question the appropriateness of the organizers’ plan?

(A) The cost to the organizers of designing and printing the flyers is equivalent to half an average day’s worth of sample-sale profits for one of the retailers at the event.

(B) Many of the retailers who donate profits to charity do so in order to garner tax breaks, rather than for purely altruistic reasons.

(C) Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.

(D) Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.

(E) Many of the retailers who donate a portion of their profits to charity vary that portion from season to season, allocating a greater portion of their profits to charity during peak sales seasons.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 717 [2], given: 101

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 717 [4], given: 101

Re: Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
in this q we have to show flyers dont help in boosting the sales. option d show this as the retailers already made adversting so the flyers dont help them

consider giving kudos if u like my post

Kudos [?]: 717 [4], given: 101

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 07:58
I think its A....but this question is weird with its "appropriateness" wording in the question stem.
A is the only one that addresses the organizers intentions or their flaw.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anilnandyala wrote:
Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitable organizations, and are more likely to purchase clothing from companies that donate a portion of their profits to charity. Next weekend, a variety of fashion clothing retailers will hold sample sales at a downtown event; the event’s organizers plan to hand out flyers listing which of the retailers donate to charity from their profits, in the hope of increasing those companies’ sales at the event.

Which of the following, if true, most calls into question the appropriateness of the organizers’ plan?

The cost to the organizers of designing and printing the flyers is equivalent to half an average day’s worth of sample-sale profits for one of the retailers at the event.
this has nothing to do with organizer's plan which is to highlight those companies which provide portion of profits to charity

Many of the retailers who donate profits to charity do so in order to garner tax breaks, rather than for purely altruistic reasons.
the intent of the retailers is not at issue here

Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.
the number of retailers providing charity breaks is not at issue here, still people should know which ones do or don't

Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.
Correct, if folks already associate retailers with charity than the organizer's efforts to make people aware of the charity breaks is moot

Many of the retailers who donate a portion of their profits to charity vary that portion from season to season, allocating a greater portion of their profits to charity during peak sales seasons.

totally unrelated. The question doesn't have any issue with when charity donations are made.

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 11:31
Is this from the test bank or question bank?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 15:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3412 [4], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anilnandyala wrote:

A) The cost to the organizers of designing and printing the flyers is equivalent to half an average day’s worth of sample-sale profits for one of the retailers at the event.
B) Many of the retailers who donate profits to charity do so in order to garner tax breaks, rather than for purely altruistic reasons.
C) Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.
D) Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.
E) Many of the retailers who donate a portion of their profits to charity vary that portion from season to season, allocating a greater portion of their profits to charity during peak sales seasons.

Hello.

Very Gmat-like question.

THEORIES - WEAKEN QUESTION:

Weaken is one of the most popular question shown on the test. Basically, there are three scenarios used in weaken question.

1. Incomplete information. The argument concludes without sufficient information backed up. i.e. the murder rate in county X is highest in U.S., so county X is most dangerous place to live.
Ask yourself: there are any researches or statistic for the murder rate? If yes, please show.

2. Incorrect comparison. The argument concludes by using wrong comparison. i.e. in lab, diamond can be created under specific pressure and temperature, so we can use this temperature and pressure to determine how natural diamond created.
Ask your self: the physical characteristics of natural diamond and artificial diamond are the same? If no, the comparison is wrong.

3. Qualified conclusion. The argument’s conclusion is based on specific conditions, but we don’t know those conditions are valid or not. i.e. I can get 700+ gmat by studying 5 hours a day, so with that score I can be accepted in HBS next year.
Ask yourself: Key condition to get 700+ gmat is studying 5 hours a day. Whether he/she have enough time to stick with his/her plan? The condition is not solid.

From my experience, the third type – qualified conclusion – is the most difficult to realize in the test and is the most difficult one to weaken.

ANALYZE THE QUESTION:
Fact: Buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitable organizations, and are more likely to purchase clothing from companies that donate a portion of their profits to charity.
Fact: Next weekend, a variety of fashion clothing retailers will hold sample sales at a downtown event;
Conclusion/plan: Hand out flyers listing, which of the retailers donate to charity from their profits, will increase those companies’ sales at the event.

Pre-thinking: Clearly, this is qualified conclusion type. The conclusion based on a condition flyers will attract customers. If not, the plan is failed. So immediately ask yourself: this condition is valid, what if customers already know about information shown on the flyers. If customers are not interested, is the plan able to success?

ANALYZE EACH OPTION:

A) The cost to the organizers of designing and printing the flyers is equivalent to half an average day’s worth of sample-sale profits for one of the retailers at the event.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about costs of printing the flyers.

B) Many of the retailers who donate profits to charity do so in order to garner tax breaks, rather than for purely altruistic reasons.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about “garner tax breaks”

C) Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.
Wrong. Not weaken. If customers are interested in retailer who donate a portion of their profits to charity, the plan is successful. It doesn’t matter how many retailer donating or not donating.

D) Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.
Correct. If customers already know about the information shown on the flyers, the flyer does not help to increase sales.

E) Many of the retailers who donate a portion of their profits to charity vary that portion from season to season, allocating a greater portion of their profits to charity during peak sales seasons.
Wrong. Totally out of scope. The argument only talk about the effectiveness of the plan – hand out flyer – in the next week even. That’s it. Nothing about sales seasons or stuff like that

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3412 [4], given: 123

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 18

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 17:31
anilnandyala wrote:

The cost to the organizers of designing and printing the flyers is equivalent to half an average day’s worth of sample-sale profits for one of the retailers at the event.

Many of the retailers who donate profits to charity do so in order to garner tax breaks, rather than for purely altruistic reasons.

Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.

Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.

Many of the retailers who donate a portion of their profits to charity vary that portion from season to season, allocating a greater portion of their profits to charity during peak sales seasons.

I think option C is a stronger contender than D.

C. Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.
This means most of the retailers donate to charity, in such a case having almost all the retailers listed on the flier would serve no purpose. What is the distinguishing factor.

D. Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.
Is additional advertising bad for any business ? Even with all the advertising the retailers have done, there would be customers who have no idea which retailer donates to charity. Having a flier would help the retailers underline their donations and get more customers.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 23:59
A) is irrelevant, because the plan is for increasing sales, not profit, and, so the cost is actually irrelevant
B) again is irrelevant as their reasons for donating have no bearing on the effectiveness of this plan
C) this one may seem tempting, however the plan is to increase sales at all the companies who donate, so the fact that there are far more companies who donate than do not does not have any effect
D) this one actually may call into question the effectiveness of the plan. If people already know who donates to charity then handing out flyers to tell them who does or not won't do anything
E) how they use their money to donate is irrelevant

Thus, the best answer is D

Eliza
GMAT Tutor
bestgmatprepcourse.com

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 06:56
anilnandyala wrote:

D.It says that it is not flyers but advertising that helps to boost sales.
:)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 156

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 10:57
I will go with D....
If already advertised the plan won't boost sales..

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 156

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 05:12
Hi,

I agree that opt D is better than others. But Opt D says that the retailers have already publicized heavily. But this does not ensure that the customers have gone through the advertisements already. But handing them the flyers will make sure that these guys know who is donating, increasing the chances of these retailers to sell more.

Can someone please help me understand where my thinking is faltering?

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 17:33
Alok322 wrote:
Hi,

I agree that opt D is better than others. But Opt D says that the retailers have already publicized heavily. But this does not ensure that the customers have gone through the advertisements already. But handing them the flyers will make sure that these guys know who is donating, increasing the chances of these retailers to sell more.

Can someone please help me understand where my thinking is faltering?

Hello, Alok322,

I had the same doubt!

But Manhattan explanation made it clearer for me, check it: "If the retailers that do make donations have already given the donations heavy publicity, then it is less likely that the flyers will have an impact, as potential buyers might know this information already.".

Choice D shows that it is gonna be less likeky that the flyers are gonna have an impact. Just like pqhai said "if customers already know about the information shown on the flyers, the flyer does not help to increase sales".

For me, the key was to realize that the flyers are gonna be less likely to help.

Hope this helps you.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 56

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 318

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 22:18
prasun9 wrote:
anilnandyala wrote:

I think option C is a stronger contender than D.

C. Among the retailers who will hold sample sales at next week’s event, those that donate a portion of their profits to charity far outnumber those that do not.
This means most of the retailers donate to charity, in such a case having almost all the retailers listed on the flier would serve no purpose. What is the distinguishing factor.

D. Of the retailers at the event that donate a portion of their profits to charity, most have publicized those donations extensively in their advertising.
Is additional advertising bad for any business ? Even with all the advertising the retailers have done, there would be customers who have no idea which retailer donates to charity. Having a flier would help the retailers underline their donations and get more customers.

Even if there is no distinguishing factor, does that mean sales will be less or same.
Consider this : event doesn't go with flyers. In that case, buyer doesn't know anything about charity thing. Normal sales.
2nd : flyers. effect - Buyers are more likely to purchase clothing from companies that donate a portion of their profits to charity. Higher sales than previous condition.

Sales will be up, no matter what is ratio between non charity retailers and charity retailers.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 318

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 14:44
As per Option D, no where it is mentioned the advertisements are done in the city or location where sales are being considered. Also how many customers did actually know about the advertisements. Moreover there are various ways of advertisements and each has its own advantages/disadvantage. So just by advertisements in TV/Radio/banners cannot be sufficient and what ever flyers can do their best will do or increase the sales atleast increase 0.001%.

Option A clearly weakens, sales are done to increase profits and if profits are used to distribute flyers it is same as not doing at all and what ever increase happens is an extra profit.

Option D cannot be the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 04:08
While option D is convincing, isn't option C strong contender as well.
My reasoning -
If almost all of the retailers at the event are the ones that donate to charity, then the sales are bound to get divided among all of them. This might not result in an overall increase in the sales.

Isn't the number of sales our major concern according to the conclusion provided here?

Please correct me where ever I am wrong!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 10:34
AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
While option D is convincing, isn't option C strong contender as well.
My reasoning -
If almost all of the retailers at the event are the ones that donate to charity, then the sales are bound to get divided among all of them. This might not result in an overall increase in the sales.

Isn't the number of sales our major concern according to the conclusion provided here?

Please correct me where ever I am wrong!

This is my thinking as well. MGMAT makes a connection I don't understand. I think (C) is better than (D), but i'm not the person who created the test.
The OE:

(A) The cost of producing the flyers is irrelevant to the retailers' revenues. This would be true even if the retailers were paying for the flyers, but this answer choice talks only of the cost for the organizers.

(B) The organizers’ plan is not concerned with why the retailers donate to charity. Rather, it is concerned with whether the charitable retailers will earn more sales as a result of publicizing this fact to buyers.

(C) The relative numbers of retailers who donate to charity and retailers who don’t are irrelevant. The organizers’ plan is to help the retailers that do make donations, regardless of how many such retailers there are.

(D) CORRECT. If the retailers that do make donations have already given the donations heavy publicity, then it is less likely that the flyers will have an impact, as potential buyers might know this information already. This choice directly attacks the organizers' assumption that publicizing the information will cause buyers to change their buying behavior.

(E) The amount or proportion of profits donated to charity by the retailers is irrelevant to the argument. The only distinction made between retailers is between those that donate to charity and those that do not.

I am new to the forum! Trying to improve my scores, so any tips are appreciated!

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 49

Re: Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 10:34

Many buyers of fashion clothing are inclined to contribute to charitab

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap