GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 05:52
Hi,

I am a Networking engineer (CCIE certified) having about 10 years of telecom experience. I am currently working as a Business Analyst for Cloud (SDN/NFV). I am about 33 and die to do my MBA from top B schools.... But my doubt is at age of about 33, will there be any issues in recruiting me...? Pls help out... I am very very keen of doing only one Year residential Program (No Part Time), Friends I also need your help to Know which Colleges are good for me in India,US,Canada and UK.

I gave GMAT recently Scored Very less - 630 I will give my next attempt in 2 month from now.

pls advice..

Friendly,
Dilip
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 10:11
Hello and welcome to GMAT Club!

If you are applying at 33/34 and then matriculating at 35, it is very hard to get into a top Full Time program in the US. Europe is more possible and feasable but I would not pursue a US program and instead focus on either programs that do offer options for older applicants. There are a few 1-year programs such as Stanford Sloan program, and many others, and of course the EMBA programs. Of course, you will need to improve your GMAT for the top mba program application. However, the biggest aspect you will need to address is WHY MBA in your application and your journey since all of these programs do not really contemplate or assume switching jobs, industries, etc and more of an enhancement of your career.

P.S. If you are dying to get an MBA, i feel it would be right for you to research schools.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford '15 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V165
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 18:20
I'd agree. Would focus on executive MBA programs instead.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 19:38
ndewilde wrote:

would there be a big diff between an executive program and a normal program?
Founder
Founder
V
MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 22:11
treetree wrote:
ndewilde wrote:

Yes. For one, it is significantly EASIER to get into an EMBA. Competition is less intense there, and many programs will even waive the GMAT requirement if you have a glowing resume.

EMBA's tend to meet on weekends or sometimes only one weekend a month (depends on the program). They tend to be for folks in more senior positions, have smaller classes, and professors that don't like baby-sitting 25-year-olds. At the same time, the EMBA has no recruiting component to it - there is no internships, no on campus recruiting, few networking events, etc. You are not expected to recruit since you already have a job or at least you are supposed to. (Kellogg is the only exception here since they invite PT and EMBA students to their on campus recruiting events.). EMBA are usually more expensive than FT programs (since companies often pay for it) and often entail travel, off-site weekends, etc. EMBA is probably tough for internationals but I have seen a guy from Brazil enrolling in Anderson EMBA a few months ago.

I feel EMBA is a great option due to lower entrance requirements/less competition, smaller class, and great opportunities to network with your classmates; it also allows you to keep working, and thus produce income/earn a salary. The main weakness is that it does not really allow you to switch industries or role since there is no internship or dipping your toe in the water. It also does not force you to quit your job and search for another one, thus you are likely to recruit less aggressively if your life depended on it like it would in FT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 23:11
bb wrote:
treetree wrote:
ndewilde wrote:

Yes. For one, it is significantly EASIER to get into an EMBA. Competition is less intense there, and many programs will even waive the GMAT requirement if you have a glowing resume.

EMBA's tend to meet on weekends or sometimes only one weekend a month (depends on the program). They tend to be for folks in more senior positions, have smaller classes, and professors that don't like baby-sitting 25-year-olds. At the same time, the EMBA has no recruiting component to it - there is no internships, no on campus recruiting, few networking events, etc. You are not expected to recruit since you already have a job or at least you are supposed to. (Kellogg is the only exception here since they invite PT and EMBA students to their on campus recruiting events.). EMBA are usually more expensive than FT programs (since companies often pay for it) and often entail travel, off-site weekends, etc. EMBA is probably tough for internationals but I have seen a guy from Brazil enrolling in Anderson EMBA a few months ago.

I feel EMBA is a great option due to lower entrance requirements/less competition, smaller class, and great opportunities to network with your classmates; it also allows you to keep working, and thus produce income/earn a salary. The main weakness is that it does not really allow you to switch industries or role since there is no internship or dipping your toe in the water. It also does not force you to quit your job and search for another one, thus you are likely to recruit less aggressively if your life depended on it like it would in FT.

Thanks for the great comparison. Very insightful inddeed!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 23:52
Glad it helped :-)

Another weakness I guess is that you can’t be a full time student. Many like the idea of taking time off work and focusing on their personal development and frankly taking some time what to next with their career.

Full Time is still the ultimate MBA experience.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 23:58
bb wrote:
Glad it helped :-)

Another weakness I guess is that you can’t be a full time student. Many like the idea of taking time off work and focusing on their personal development and frankly taking some time what to next with their career.

Full Time is still the ultimate MBA experience.

I think, he is looking for full time MBA programs -"I am very very keen of doing only one Year residential Program (No Part Time)" :-)

Below are the few B-Schools in India offering 1-yr Executive MBA Programs for experienced Professionals

IIM Ahmedabad PGPX
IIM Bangalore EPGP
IIM Kolkata PGPEX
XLRI PGDM (GMP)
ISB PGP
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 00:11
What is the likelihood of getting an admit in ISB at age of 33. Given one has 10+ years of work exp.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 00:17
adityanahan wrote:
What is the likelihood of getting an admit in ISB at age of 33. Given one has 10+ years of work exp.

It would probably help if you took a minute to clarify which program.... though, regardless, I don’t know much about ISB. Why don’t you go the ISB forum and post there. You may want to include a bit more details than just how long you had a job.... 10 years of being a waiter at a restaurant or selling sunglasses on the street likely won’t cut it. Take a minute next time to put some thought into your post. Thank you.

Founder of GMAT Club

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 07:05
adityanahan wrote:

Hi Aditya,

I can be of some help here.

ISB launched the PGP PRO program last year, for applicants with 5 to 12 years of work experience. Since then, they have been reducing the number of senior applicants in their PGP class.
While it may still be worthwhile to apply to the PGP class, because they still do accept worthy senior applicants, I'd strongly advise you to also apply to other MBAs offered by the IIMA, B and C, to spread your risk.
While your 33years of age and 10+ years of experience may not be such a huge determiner of your chances, your execution of the application will definitely impact the outcome. At your age and Work exp., adcoms (of every b-school) would want to see:
1. your leadership experience
2. your impact on your organization, your big perspective thinking
3. purpose in professional life (goals)
4. and a real need for MBA, given your goals.
5. Assurance that you can manage your post MBA job using your own network.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Re: MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision. &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 07:05

MBA @ age of 33 is it good decision.

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap