GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AMA -- pasted from post I made in WSO

Given round 2 results are just out (congrats AdMITS!) and inspired by a few of the other people (@"Masterz57" @"OpsDude", @"TheGrind", etc) who have posted AMAs on their b-school experience, I'm going to write about my experience at MIT's Sloan School.

Background

I went to an ivy undergrad, and did the usual finance IBD route. Wanted an early out of finance, so decided to apply to bschool, namely HSW and Sloan. Got into Sloan and one of the three, but eventually opted for Sloan due to the strong startup culture here that was not present in the competing offer (am aiming to start a company before I graduate). I have an offer in [IBD/consulting] for the summer, which I am taking as a backup in case the startup plan fails - and to fund the initial seed of the company.

Sloan Culture (yes, stealing @"OpsDude"/@" Masterz57" format, but I thought it was good)

Location: Cambridge/Boston is an amazing city to live in. I am actively considering moving here permanently post-graduation given its strong employment prospects, startup scene (perhaps a #3 behind Silicon Valley/Alley?), and (very slightly) lower cost of living compared to SF/NYC.

Networking: Sloan is just the right size I feel of ~400 kids. I personally know everyone in my class and we can all more or less fit in a couple WhatsApp groups.

Students: definitely the draw here as Sloan's culture is very "nice", especially compared to my undergrad days. Sloanies help other Sloanies, and it's part of the reason why I'm writing this AMA.

Social Life: unfortunately, this is where the extroverts would say we lose out to the other school across the river. Sloan, being part of MIT, has a slightly more academic vibe, so we don't go out on Sunday evenings. But Wednesdays - Saturdays are all fair game; so one night less compared to comps.

Recruiting - key differentiating point

Sloan does extremely well here. I don't know anyone who was actively seeking a summer internship who didn't get a position in their industry of choice (of course not everyone gets into GS, but those who sought IBD positions "at least"* got into the elite boutiques).

*Some actively chose EBs over BBs

The same for consulting, and tech/startups, which is Sloan's strong suit.
For tech, a couple points: you do not generally need to code to get jobs at AMZN/FB/GOOG/MSFT, as long as you display a passion for their products. Sloan also has a great startup scene, with one of the best (if not the best) startup accelerator program, through a collective resource pool of competitions, such as the $100k challenge, or the MIT Delta V (delta V = acceleration... geddit?) summer accelerator. Many of my peers are doing the exact same thing I do, which is to hold a summer [IBD/consulting/big company job] on the side, while doing a startup, and hoping the startup succeeds, but yet with a good fall back. I feel this is something unique to Sloan and perhaps to a degree, Stanford - but that's more West Coast.

Academics

I have yet to meet a person who is cut throat academically. People are here to learn. They are passionate about learning, but not about grade grubbing. Sloan is one of the few places where Nobel Prize winning professors teach as well, and it's amazing to walk down the same hallways and not geek out when you meet Robert Merton.

Happy to take comments/questions from here on out.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.63
Re: MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 16:37
Thank you so much for doing this! I really appreciate the detail and thought.

I've been admitted to Sloan and was hoping to get some more information about the experience of partners there. I'm not sure if you have a partner there with you, but I was wondering if you have any insight on the integration of partners into the Sloan community. Do they commonly come on social trips? Audit classes? Attend school events? Generally feel welcome by the school and the student body?

Thank you again!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:42
Thanks for posting this - it's super helpful!

You mentioned that Sloan is more academic and that students generally don't go out on Sundays -- which is totally fine by me. But, I'd be curious to hear more about the social scene -- what have your past few weekends looked like? What have been your favorite social events, both on and off campus? How often do you spend your weekends on campus versus off-campus in Boston/Cambridge versus traveling to other cities?

Also, do you feel like you (and others you know) have become close with your class as a whole or do people tend to cluster into more intimate circles?

Thanks again!!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 09:32
Hey,

Cheers for posting this at a pretty critical time!

What has been your least enjoyable part of your time at MIT Sloan so far?

How supportive were the school with helping to find funding for the course?

Are there any significant costs or expenditures that I'd need to prepare for?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I've just been admitted to LBS,Saïd and Sloan for next year's MBA programmes and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 06:55
Hey,

Thanks for the AMA!

One thing I've been looking for but can't get a clear answer on is what is the culture like for non traditional students? I'm particularly coming from nonprofit and international development, and I've heard Sloan is great for social impact-- but I don't have any specifics to point to. Any thoughts on how many non traditional students you see, how they like Sloan, what their career prospects are?
Re: MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 06:55

MIT Sloan -- Current student AMA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap