It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Sloan vs INSEAD

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MIT Sloan vs INSEAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 00:10
Hi Everyone!
I've been admitted to MIT Sloan and Insead for their full-time MBA programs starting 2017.

I am in my early 30's+married and have been an entrepreneur in the emerging markets for most of my career-- went to a liberal arts school in the US and have a few years of Blue-Chip consulting early on in my career. My long-term goal is to be in PE in Asia (very ambitious as I don't have any finance experience besides starting and selling a few companies!!).

So many questions:
What school has a better alumni network in Asia? Do I lean towards Insead because of its Asia presence, cheaper cost, and shorter course (considering that I am no spring chicken)?? Can I even consider saying no to MIT-- seems like its transformative program?? Which school has a better atmosphere for partners-- can't forget about the better half.

The way I see it:

MIT Pros
Prestige factor
Fewer grads in Asia mean more exclusive network
Summer internship will make my entrepreneurial CV more palatable to employers (no internship in Insead as admitted for the fall program)

Insead Pros
Faster, Cheaper
Presence in Asia
International Network/Focus

Your thoughts are much appreciated! Cheers

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27192 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MIT Sloan vs INSEAD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 00:22
Congratulations!

I think you will enjoy and be more productive with the pace of insead's program. I think.... Sloan will give you a greater chance to explore yourself, options and basically take the fist year to build your basics, missing pieces, and get an internship or try getting one in the area you are looking to recruit. It is the ultimate package but takes more time and may not be perfectly lined up with your goals. However if you are looking for the ultimate MBA experience, this is it.

Keep in mind that the first year can be slow ( ESP the first quarter) when the basic course are funneled and basically you have little choice with electives.

Also if you are not looking I king to work in the US, it won't be productive trying to recruit in Asia from Boston. I don't know if you have a choice when to attend the Singapore campus but that will be helpful geographically regardless of timing.

Finally I think Insead name is stronger than Sloans outside of the US.

Congrats and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27192 [0], given: 5001

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 07:39
Congrats, both schools are great. If you want get a job in Europe/ASIA Insead is better option. Moreover Insead program is shorter and cheaper than MIT program so you can get a better ROI.

Good luck :D

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 14:38
INSEAD for less opportunity cost. Plus you have the option of doing a semester in Singapore and building a network in Asia

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 18:53
As someone who is Asian and has worked in two major centers of commerce in Asia: SG & HK.
MIT brand name in APAC has almost no equal. INSEAD doesn't even touch it tbh.

That being said, with your background, INSEAD would probably more appropriate.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 23:18
Thanks everyone for the comments/help

I think the crux of the matter is that I might be a better fit at Insead but MIT has such a golden name everywhere in the world. The question is, with a view to work in Asia, is the golden name worth 100k and 1 year more? I am leaning towards yes it is-- but its a tough one!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 19:02
I'm leaning MIT and it seems your heart is there as well. I'm not sure if your spouse works but it may also be easier to find them employment in the states if that is something that matters to you. You seemed to have been able to secure employment all over the world so it feels like this will be no different

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Re: MIT Sloan vs INSEAD   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2017, 19:02