Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [15]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [7]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
I am in! I have a question, please help me to answer if anyone knows?

Assumed that I cannot prepare the application properly on time for Round 1 deadline ( 6/10/2015) So I will submit my application for Round 2 but in November 2015 before 1-2 months of the deadline of Round 2. Could I expect the invite call for the interview before the deadline of Round 2 or I need to wait after the deadline of Round 2?
Thank you in advance and Good luck every applicant :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
littlegirl wrote:
I am in! I have a question, please help me to answer if anyone knows?

Assumed that I cannot prepare the application properly on time for Round 1 deadline ( 6/10/2015) So I will submit my application for Round 2 but in November 2015 before 1-2 months of the deadline of Round 2. Could I expect the invite call for the interview before the deadline of Round 2 or I need to wait after the deadline of Round 2?
Thank you in advance and Good luck every applicant :-D

if you submit before Round 1 -> Your application will be considered for Round 1
If you submit before Round 2 and after Round 1->Your application will be considered for Round 2

Anderson gives out interview calls as and when the adcom review the applications but that is part of early interview calls in respective rounds. But the deadlines of the particular round will apply.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
:-D A very good luck ladies and gentlemen!!!
I am a 1st student at Anderson. Although I am less experienced then James, also please feel free to reach out with questions about Anderson, the application process, or an MBA in general.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Retail)
Send PM
Does Anderson require Toefl from Indian Candidates ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
indraban wrote:
Does Anderson require Toefl from Indian Candidates ?

yes, TOEFL is mandatory for Anderson

More : https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/mb ... applicants
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
kinjiGC : Thank you so much :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Good luck everybody.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Following
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Tom Winterton, a first year student at UCLA Anderson.

Accepted: We'd like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What was your most recent pre-MBA job?

Tom: I grew up in Nantwich, a small market town in north of England and completed my undergraduate degree in Physics with Finance at the University of Surrey. A slightly unusual combination but it stood me well in getting a job in financial services in London where I worked for a number of banks.

My last role was as a Strategy Development Analyst at Brewin Dolphin, one of the UK’s largest investment management and financial planning firms.

Accepted: Where are you currently in business school? What year?

Tom: I’m a 1st year full time MBA at the UCLA Anderson School of Management in Los Angeles.

Accepted: What's your favorite thing about Anderson? And if you could change one thing about the program, what would it be?

Tom: My favorite thing about Anderson would have to be the school’s culture of shared success. Be it 2nd year students paying it forward through the career sessions they run, to the fact that MBAs competing for intern and full time positions regularly prep together ahead of interviewing for the same role. This supporting environment couldn’t be more different from uber competitive experience often associated with business school. While everyone is certainly pushing to land top positions at some of the most sought after companies, its important our class mates get there too and everyone’s committed to this principal of shared success.

They try to pack a lot into the MBA course and that’s especially true in your first few quarters. On top of that, UCLA operates on a quarter systems which seems to only compound this busy schedule.

If I could change one thing about the program it would be to start a bit earlier in the year and give 1st year students a little more time in the first quarter. I found this a big crunch time with recruiting and finals all in full swing. You find yourself living inside the business school bubble, neglecting friends from home as you become obsessed by informationals, GPAs, interview prep and all things MBA.

Accepted: Now that you've well into your first year of b-school, can you talk about your transition back to school? Is b-school what you thought it would be like? Any surprises? Any advice for next year's incoming class?

Tom: It's fair to say I’ve found the transition back to school at bit of a shock to the system. If it were only about being back in the class room that would be one thing, but the truth is you end up having to perform a juggling act skipping between company presentation, case competitions, sorting out the administrative nightmare that comes with moving countries, informational interviews, group assignments and much more in between. Plus of course socializing with everyone in your new MBA class. Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) means for the first few months at least you’re compelled to sign up to as many things as possible. Often the academic work ends up being just one point on a long list of priorities.

My advice to incoming MBA students would be to clear the decks before your MBA. If you’ve got the time to get ahead with career research do so. Start doing informational interviews and building connections with companies you’re interested in as early as possible; it will pay dividends when it comes to recruiting.

While the MBA experience is great, be prepared, it’s a whirlwind. Don’t expect to have many evening or weekends to yourself, and let friends and family know they’re about to see a lot less of you.

Accepted: Do you plan on heading back to the UK after you receive your MBA? What are your post-MBA plans

Tom: I haven’t decided where I want to be after my MBA. Much of it will depend on how the recruiting process goes, my summer internship and the connections I’m able to make over the two years. That said studying at a US school, MBA recruiting is obviously skewed toward American companies, with a large proportion of students getting full time jobs through on campus recruiting.

California is home to so many of the world’s most innovative businesses and I’ll certainly be exploring all the opportunities it has to offer.

Accepted: What's your favorite class so far?

Tom: I would have to say Marketing has been my favorite class so far. For the first few quarters your timetable at Anderson (like most MBA programs) is dominated by a core class – Accounting, Finance, Statistics, etc. While these were great, well taught with lively debate and new interesting content, I had some experience of them from my undergraduate degree and professional career.

While Marketing is still a core class, I came into it with almost no background whatsoever and I’m enjoying being exposed to a whole new strand of business.

I also enjoyed that fact that as opposed to my other core class there isn’t necessarily one right answer when it comes to Marketing. Different approaches, targeting different segments of the market can both be effective. There’s really room to be creative as you look for the best way to market a product. While I wouldn’t say I had a favorite assignment, it was interesting writing a “Positioning Statement” for yourself, in the context of a job market, dating market or otherwise.

Accepted: Can you share your top 3 MBA admissions tips with our applicant readers?

Tom:

• Really think about why you want an MBA and how it will help reach your future goals. Every school will ask this as one of their essay questions and you need to have a good answer that makes sense. This story becomes even more important as an MBA, when you start talking to companies and applying for internships. Recruiters need to see how your skill and experience fit together and relate to the role your applying for.

Don’t just look at the rankings when applying to programs; sure they matter but only up to until a point. Instead I’d recommend looking on where a school’s MBAs interned and accepted full time positions. Do the companies you’re interested in recruit on campus? Does the school have strong alumni connections in the industries and with the firms you wanting to work for?

A big part of the recruiting process is getting to know companies, networking and for companies to get to know you. You’re at a big advantage if your school already has those connections.

• If you’re able to, visit the school and sit in on a class or two. At a very minimum make sure you speak to alumni and current students; they’re the best source of advice when it comes to applying to a school. While I wasn’t able to visit Los Angeles before applying to Anderson, I was able to speak to a number of current alumni. I also had good friends who’d attended UCLA as undergraduates. This was invaluable when making my decision. Remember where you’re living will be a big factor in your MBA experience.

Accepted: Can you tell us about your blog? When and why did you start blogging? What have you gained from the experience?

Tom: I had to check the dates, I started my current blog some 2.5 years back now, with my first post in May 2012. I’d also experimented with a couple of other blogs and websites prior to this.

I think the initial interest came about went I was working on a project to develop online services for a bank. Working with developers I decided should really know a bit more about how to build a website, having learned little to nothing in school. The blog developed out of this curiosity, I liked the thought of creating content and sharing it online, as well as experimenting learning bits of CSS and HTML to customize the site along the way.

What have I gained from my experience blogging? Well it’s really been an ongoing learning experience for me. From picking the basics of markup languages and web styling, to finding out more about different web services by experimenting with things like Google Analytics and Adwords. I’ve used it as a public record of what I’ve been up to, from hiking in Switzerland to my sharing my MBA orientation week experience; it’s a great way to add context and tell a story with the photos you’ve taken.

If nothing else it’s fed my curiosity and added a few lines to the interests section of my resume.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages.

You can read more about Tom’s journey by checking out his blog, Tom’s Blog. Thank you Tom for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck!

Related Resources:

• MBA Rankings: What You Need to Know
• UCLA Anderson 2015 MBA Questions, Deadlines, Tips

Accepted.com's experienced admissions consultants can help you create the most impressive application possible with comprehensive packages, or provide targeted assistance from picking perfect programs to designing a dazzling resume, constructing engaging essays, or preparing for intense interviews…and more! Accepted.com has guided thousands of applicants to acceptances at top MBA programs since 1994 – we know what works and what doesn't, so contact us to get started now!

This advice originally app​​eared on the Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog, the official blog of Accepted.com.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos

Earlier this month, Anderson School of Management announced it will broaden the base of technology opportunities across the UCLA campus with its new Easton Technology Management Center, made possible thanks to gifts totaling $11 million from James L. Easton.

The new center expands the Easton Technology Leadership Program, established in 2009 to develop strong business leadership skills in students with engineering and technical backgrounds.

With this launch, UCLA Anderson expands the scope of its programs and offers students with both technical and non-technical backgrounds, as well as faculty, alumni and industry professionals, access to the latest innovations in technology management. Currently the program includes nearly 430 participants with 30% of the 2016 class interning at technology firms this summer.

Guillaume Roels, UCLA Anderson associate professor and the new center’s faculty director, outlined the center’s strategic goals:
  • To create a hub for innovative research and scholarship in technology leadership
  • To increase program outreach and develop closer ties with UCLA’s engineering and medical schools as well as technology industry professionals
  • To foster curriculum innovation in technology leadership

As a CEO of one of the world’s largest sports equipment manufacturers, Easton Sports, Inc., it was Easton’s experiences designing and manufacturing high-performance sports equipment that first led him to recognize the need for business leadership education.

“I saw a need for leaders in technology, engineering and manufacturing, with knowledge and talent to create innovative products, who would benefit from UCLA Anderson by learning skills in management, communication and negotiation to run their companies,” says Easton.

UCLA Anderson Dean Judy Olian calls Easton a visionary when it comes to creating new approaches the school. “With the creation of the Easton Technology Management Center, Jim expands the impact of his vision by positioning our students to lead and drive change in the rapidly changing tech landscape of California and the world.”
You may also be interested in:
UCLA Anderson Receives $100M Gift from Namesake’s Widow

If you are looking for guidance on your UCLA Anderson MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Send PM
Hello to all the applicants to the Class of 2018! I am glad that many of you are interested and will be applying to Anderson. I am a current student and have loved my experience so far! If you have any questions about the application process or about Anderson, please feel free to reach out. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you are interested in learning more about Anderson from a current student, check out the upcoming LiveGuide sessions here, https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/liveguide. The next one is on August 5th Ryan, who is currently interning at Apple. Ryan is great! I highly recommend attending if possible. All sessions are recorded and available as well. I will be hosting a session in a couple weeks too, so keep your eye out for that, I would love to see you there!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Hi everyone, I'm a current student as well and happy to help answer any questions (public or PM). I recruited for a number of companies that fall under consulting / strategy / tech / entertainment, so I can get into more detail on those topics specifically.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

The UCLA Anderson School of Management has updated the onerequired MBA essay question for the 2015-2016 admissions season. It asks:

We believe that the best results are achieved when you share success, think fearlessly and drive change. With this in mind, what are your goals at UCLA Anderson and in your short-term and long-term career? (750 words maximum)

According to admissions officer Craig Hubbell’s post on the MBA Insider Blog, “The best essays show that you understand our school’s culture and how to use it to optimize your future.”

When approaching this essay, applicants should think about their long-term goals and work backward to show how Anderson will help them reach those goals; brainstorm professional or personal events that demonstrate thinking fearlessly; and convince the admissions committee of their passion for UCLA Anderson.

The admissions officer shares several other tips for applicants as well, so if UCLA Anderson is on your short list of schools, take a look at his post and start thinking about how you’ll make a case for your candidacy. “Whatever your target may be, your essay is the platform to distinguish yourself with your passion, clarity, planning and eloquence,” Hubbell writes.

Below are the additional essay questions within the Fall 2016 application:

Optional Essay:
The following essay is optional. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit an optional essay. Please note that UCLA Anderson only accepts written essays.

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

Re-Applicants – One Required Essay:
Reapplicants who applied for the class entering in fall 2014 or 2015 are required to complete the following essay:

Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

The UCLA Anderson MBA application will go live August 1st.
You may also be interested in:
UCLA Anderson 2015-2016 MBA Application Deadlines

UCLA Anderson Receives $100 Million Gift from Namesake’s Widow

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Stacy Sukov Blackman launched her MBA admissions consulting company in 2001 and has since helped thousands of clients gain admission to the most selective business schools in the world, many with merit scholarships. Blackman has degrees from both the Wharton School and the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, and is the author of The MBA Application Roadmap: The Essential Guide to Getting Into a Business School. She has also published a series of online guides which contain in depth guidance on how to develop essays for top business schools. Read reviews of Stacy Blackman Consulting services.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey everyone, I will be leading a LiveGuide session tonight at 7:30pm PST, https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/liveguide. If you have questions about Anderson, please join!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnnouncementLive Chats with UCLA Admissions Team

Dear Applicants,

GMAT Club and UCLA Anderson Admissions Team will be jointly conducting Live Q&A sessions for GMAT Club members applying to UCLA. There will be 3 such sessions in this application season in which members from UCLA Admissions team will dialogue with prospective applicants in GMAT Club Chat Room and answer their questions about admission process. Dates of these events are as follows.

• August 20, 2015. 9 AM Pacific Time (4 PM GMT)

• October 22, 2015. 9 AM Pacific Time (4 PM GMT)

• December 08, 2015. 9 AM Pacific Time (5 PM GMT)

Here is schedule of all Live Q&A sessions. announcement-mba-info-sessions-on-gmatclub-174827.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: 8 Days and Counting
...before the big move to Los Angeles! Hard to believe that it’s been nearly a year since I started preparing for the GMAT, and over 4 months since that fateful R2 admit call. Anderson-related TTDs have been piling up as the Class of 2017 gets closer to Orientation... and by the looks of it, things are only gonna get crazier!

So how has Anderson kept me busy lately?

• International Preps: Being an international student adds an extra layer of moving-out stress and logistical errands--luggage, apartments, banking and phone plans, etc. First order of business after submitting my SIR to UCLA was to sort out all visa and finance-related documents. I secured my F-1 visa early in June thanks to Anderson and UCLA's Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars (DCISS). Both have been a constant presence in my inbox throughout summer with international programming updates (DCISS) and pre-departure career preps (MBA Student Affairs), among other helpful content. Students on a visa are required to take UCLA's iStart Program which is a series of online modules designed to help us transition to life in the US. Topics covered are: academic integrity, culture shock, visa workshop, and getting started in LA & UCLA. In addition to school/web resources, I found that talking to fellow international students and 2nd years has been most helpful in navigating this complex pre-MBA stage. Currently, there's even a group of us looking to set-up a family phone plan to get better deals!

DCISS' online iStart program has informational modules for international students transitioning to UCLA.

• Quant Review: Being a communication major, I had minimal exposure to quants. One thing I addressed in the optional essay was to prepare by taking Anderson's online Math and Accounting courses offered during summer. The latter is a mandatory fundamentals module to bring everyone from different pre-MBA backgrounds up to speed since we'll take Financial Accounting this Fall. We started with Professor Ravetch's Math for Management course in June, and after 10 weeks I can say that I've never found Partial Derivatives and Logarithmic Equations more entertaining. Really, Prof. Ravetch has a way of putting a comical twist into mathematical concepts which otherwise would've been daunting. The course covers Algebra, Calculus, and Statistics with business applications. Online prep aside, there's also an option for on-campus Math and Excel workshops before orientation. (I didn't join because of Parker & MCA case interview workshops happening on the same dates. Talk about multiple sign-up woes this early in the game!)

Math for Management - A look at Probability Trees

• Housing: UCLA offers several housing options near campus for graduate students. I chose this route because I couldn't visit LA beforehand and didn't want the hassle of applying at different properties. Application to UCLA Housing is pretty straightforward; internationals also need not worry about credit checks and whatnot. My apartment in Weyburn Terraces is one of the more economical choices out there for a two-bedroom (shared with a fellow graduate student) or studio in Westwood. It also helps that it's a 20-min walk/10-min shuttle from Anderson and there are 30+ fellow 2017ers staying in the complex. I'm already excited to meet them at our BBQ party/ies!

Credits to Andry Pramanta '17 and Gustavo Panez '17 for our Weyburn preview!

• Career Introspection: Probably the most important prep work of all... as proven by my chats with 2nd years and constant email & Facebook reminders from Parker CMC. With Anderson following a quarterly schedule and starting a month later than most other b-schools, it’s crucial that we get a head start and be ready when major recruiters visit campus (this can happen immediately after Orientation). The folks at Parker have done a great job at keeping us on our toes over the summer. We were given access to the career portal which has a wealth of information from industry 101s on Vault and WetFeet to Day in a Life internship accounts from previous students—big help for industry switchers like myself. In addition, we’re assigned a set of weekly career deliverables which include company research and exercises to develop personal brands (hello, LinkedIn!) and perfect that 30-second pitch. My fellow blogger, Lucerna, talked about the first two deliverables in her post. The CareerLeader exercise is by far my favorite as it allowed me to assess personal skills, career, and culture matches. Happy to say the results were in line with my Anderson goals!

Getting the right words can be tricky. From Glasbergen.

• Bucket Lists & Extracurriculars: Okay, so this isn't really Anderson-related, but UCLA is in such a fantastic location that it'd be a waste to NOT come prepared for all the things you can do. I created a personal "MBA Bucket List" which included activities within (i.e. club mixers, DOJs, TED Week) and outside Anderson (i.e. LA food trip, Six Flags, free shows - I've confirmed slots to watch Jimmy Kimmel and looking forward to catch more shows). There's also a number of Pre-Orientation Trips--many of them involve camping/hiking--set-up by various Anderson clubs, and even some "renegade" pre-o's planned by my class. I hear #FOMO can kick-in pretty early in b-school! Suffice to say that despite the house-cleaning and consecutive farewell dinners here back home, I'm really looking forward to the Anderson MBA experience and spending two awesome years with a bunch of awesome people. 
Next stop: Los Angeles!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts