Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [21]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords compenating with [#permalink]
I think the answer is D as it clears the pronoun ambiguity of the second 'their'. But since it is another independent clause, wouldn't it be better separated by a ';' ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords compenating with [#permalink]
Kudos
Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords, compensating with their throat muscles and membranes for their absence by vibrating and generating sound waves when air from the lungs passes over them.

Seems, all answer choices contain ambiguity of pronoun: there are three instances of "their"/"them" that refer to different antecedents.

Quote:
A) compensating with their throat muscles and membranes for their absence by vibrating

First instance of "their" presumably refers to "bird species" and the second one - to "chords". Wrong

Quote:
B) to compensate with their throat muscles and membranes by vibrating for their absence
. - same pronoun ambiguity as in A; in addition, change in meaning: original sentence uses -ING modifier to present HOW aspect: "compensating". In this answer choice, "to compensate" form means "with intention"

Quote:
C) their throat muscles and membranes being compensated for their absence when they vibrate
- "being" is acceptable as a modifier for the cases when some temporary condition is described, not the case here. So, this option is wrong.

Quote:
D) their throat muscles and membranes compensating for the absence by vibrating
- I chose D only by POE. Pronoun ambiguity is still here :(

Quote:
E) with compensation from their throat muscles and membranes for the absence that vibrates

"for the absence that vibrates" sounds funny and wrong; literally, the choice says that absence is vibrating.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
Re: Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords compenating with [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 193: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords, compensating with their throat muscles and membranes for their absence by vibrating and generating sound waves when air from the lungs passes over them.

A) compensating with their throat muscles and membranes for their absence by vibrating

B) to compensate with their throat muscles and membranes by vibrating for their absence

C) their throat muscles and membranes being compensated for their absence when they vibrate

E) with compensation from their throat muscles and membranes for the absence that vibrates

A. 'their absence' sounds like the absence of the birds themselves. wrong choice

B. again "vibrating for their absence" who's absence? the bird's or the vocal chords'?

C. "being compensated for their absence when they vibrate" wrong. so much ambiguity makes me sad :cry:

D. ah yes an option that has clear subjects and clear pronouns. lets keep this for now

E. "for the absence that vibrates" Does anyone else has an "absence that vibrates"? nonsensical. therefore wrong.

Through POE it looks like D is the correct answer. Do point out any mistakes in my reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Most bird species sing despite lacking vocal chords compenating with [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:

This is a tough question. There is a pronoun their that jumps all over the place in all answer choices. In medium-hard questions, one may want to carefully examine the non-underlined portions of the sentence and look for clues. In our case, we have a verb generating and connector and which follow the underlined section. We can see that something must be parallel to and generating [blah-blah].

I guess the first their refers to bird species. Alright. What about the second their? Vocal chords or throat muscles and membranes? Vibrating is parallel to generating, but the option is not quite great. Let's keep it for now.

I would argue that the sentence turns into a run-on sentence if we plug option (B). But I do not really understand the meaning of the portion in blue...

This option is just a pure nonsense. Let's think about it. Some organs are being compensated for their absence... Hm... Let's move on.

The vibrating is parallel to generating. Their refers to bird species. Organs [throat muscles and membranes] compensate for the absence of vocal chords [how?] by vibrating and generating [blah-blah]. This option has the right to live. Also, it is better than anything else we have seen so far.

Even if you accept the highlighted part, the pink remainder of this option is absurd. Absence that vibrates... How could absence vibrate? :-o

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 19 Nov 2019, 20:33.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 20 Nov 2019, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos

Meaning: Many bird species[plural] sing despite lacking vocal chords. These bird species that lack vocal chords utilize their throat muscles and membranes to compensate for the absence of vocal chords. How are they[bird species] able to use their throat muscles and membranes to compensate for the lack of vocal chords? by: 1. vibrating[with their throat muscles and membranes] and 2: generating sound waves when air from the lungs passes over them[throat muscles and membranes].

Let's hope I now have a full understanding of pronoun reference on the GMAT. The pronoun their should refer to the same plural noun. So, if their throat muscles and membranes refer to bird species, then their in their absence must also refer to bird species. Since their absence refers to bird species, we have a pronoun referencing error. The best way to fix the issue is to recall or create a copy of vocal chords. Eliminate option A.

B) to compensate with their throat muscles and membranes by vibrating for their absence.
Similar error in relation to pronoun reference in option A is repeated in option B. Eliminate option B as well.

Same pronoun issue in option C also. Eliminate option C.

D) their throat muscles and membranes compensating for the absence[of vocal chords] by vibrating
This is correct. their rightly refer to bird species. By avoiding a pronoun to refer to vocal chords, the pronoun error is eliminated in option D, since it can be implied that the absence refers to vocal chords. In addition, vibrating is parallel to generating. Keep option D.

There is a parallelism error in option E. I cannot see what is parallel to generating sound waves when air from the lungs passes over them in option E. Option E also has a meaning error as The absence that vibrates? The absence is vibrating? No, absence cannot vibrate. It is the throat muscles and membranes that vibrate. However, since that modifier (that vibrates) is an essential modifier that refers to the immediately preceding noun it can only modify the absence which is illogical. Last but not the least, that vibrates and generating sound waves ... are not parallel. Eliminate option E.

The best answer is option D.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts