Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Need Advice in profile evaluation [#permalink]
Hello crack800

Please see my replies in Blue

Let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

crack800 wrote:
Hello Varun oneMBAcoach,

Thank you for your revert. To give a brief about achievements and extra curricular, please find below details:
1. In terms of achievements when I was working with Deloitte in stat audit, there was a situation wherein I was junior most member of the team and my senior fell sick during the assignment, the senior manager under whom i was working was all tensed as to how this assignment will move forward, I had taken the stand and managed to finish the assignment very effectively and on timely basis without the senior. The senior manager was so impressed that he spoke about this incident to every person in my office.
Good to know. Go deeper into the story to flesh out what positive business impact happened due to this

Secondly, while working on one of the assignments I was working on cash accounts and while digging in more details I was able to find a fraud, which was happening since years and the company had no idea. The amount of fraud happened to be in few Crore rupees. This can be a story worth exploring for your essays.

2. In my previous job I had given few advice in taxation because of which company was able to save around 1 crore in tax with simple change in accounting entry. Further, I had assisted in getting a debt of 25 crores which was again largest debt the company had ever taken, this was a team effort but my computer skills made it efficient enough to finish the assignment in timely manner for which our team was appreciated by the management.
Same comment as above. This can be a story worth exploring for your essays.
To conclude on the work front, you are highlighting your technical expertise. However it would be better idea to showcase the business impact your technical expertise brought in.

In terms of diversification of my work:
1. I have worked with Deloitte for three years where in I have catered clients from various industries for example: Asset management company, Insurance, NBFCs, etc. I understand all the process and best practice which are essential for a company to work smoothly.

2. While working in valuation and advisory services, I have valued a lot of start up companies and so I understand what all factors are essential for a company to get funding and which factors leads to failure.

3. While working in automobile company I had more focus on its finance department and so I understand importance of capital budgeting, costing, cost-benefit analysis while introducing a new product, impact of taxation, etc. [As I have prepared all these for the company]

In terms of academics:
I have scored:
78.92% in 10th
80.1% in 12th grade
67% in B.com ( the percentage is less as i was pursuing CA simultaneously
and I cleared CA when pass percent was merely 5% all over India.
Below avg acads in Grad. I would advise consider re-taking the GMAT. However will need to understand what sort of timelines have you set yourself.

Extra-curicular:
1. I have volunterred for Make a Difference as a teacher for one year, I had to discontinue it as my next job included more of travelling so I couldnt continue thereafter

I dont know how relevant would be below things:

2. I am learning Kick-boxing since 1.5 years

3. I have made a short film on life of CA students which got more than 150k views
Interesting, but what transferable skills have you gained that will make you a better business leader.

I feel that my background in working with various industry makes my profile unique to be able to understand different business scenarios. this is a strength that can be fleshed deeper to bring out in your written applications.

Hope this helps! Let me know if something else would be needed for you to evaluate my profile.
The profile still needs to highlight some spikes. Also with your GMAT, lesser years of experience and the achievements that you have mentioned 25-50 will have to be considered. That said, it is a big pool and the process needs a deeper more personal understanding of you as an individual to zero in on the right set of schools.

Thanks,
Sumit

oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello crack800

If you are confident of getting the score to a 700, or even 40+ points above your current score, re-take the GMAT. It will open a lot of options for you.
Coming to the profile part, the information is limited to give a detailed review.
2 years is on the lower end (considering most schools, not all) so you will have to compensate this by showing maturity. However, you have not mentioned your achievements and business impact. Schools are more interested in that rather than company or role or number of years.
Nothing else has been mentioned in terms of extracurricular or something that helps in knowing more about your profile.
Irrespective of the schools you apply to, you will need a spike in 2-3 admission factors (Acads, Career Goals, Quality of Work Ex, Diversity, Leadership Potential & Communication). With this complete information it will become easier to shortlist the right fit of schools for you.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

crack800 wrote:
Hi,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India with 2 years of work experience (1 year in Valuation and advisory service and 1 year as Assistant Manager - Finance in a automobile company) apart from this I have worked with one of the Big4s for three years during my articleship in statutory audit department where I have catered clients from various industries including but not limited to NBFCs, Infrastructure, Insurance, etc.

I appeared for GMAT and I expected a minimum 670 as worst case and believe that 700+ is very achievable target. I turned the other way round, I scored 610 Q48V27, was highly disappointed with the score. I might retake the test, however, I want to understand worst case scenario with my current profile.

With this profile and mentioned score which good bschools shall be a good target to go ahead with application? As I want to apply for 2019 intake and it seems that I am running out of time. I am open to schools in US, Canada, Australia, and Asia. My expectations were to be in top 15-50 bschools, but I am open to bschools in top 75 atleast - I am afraid most of them have average GMAT of 650+, if my profile suits any bschool in this range then please let me know. You may guide me with bschools which you feel would be a good match as well.

I am pursuing CFA as well, currently appearing for CFA level 2 exams. My expectation from a b school is that I want to understand more on where business' fails and what factors drive a business. How can I uplift a corporate with my skills i.e. combination of finance and business skills ( for example: there are certain behavioral factors which needs to be considered when making a business decision, this is what I am expecting to learn while pursuing MBA and going through case-studies with the pool of those diversified students)

Reply to this post will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sumit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Varun @oneMBAcoach,

I am looking for a 2019 intake. I am having my CFA level 2 exams on 23rd this month, and then I wont be in town for 15 days. I will be back on 11th July.

However, after 11th July I am fully into profile building and I am Interested in discussing this further.

I am worried about the deadlines as schools haven't been shortlisted yet and GMAT score is a bit on lower side. I am planning to reappear GMAT but it seems I wont be able to give it before 25th August. Having said this, though I know that I might be able to score 40+ more atleast, but at the same time I am concerned what if things dont work out again, in such a case I would be in a state where R1 dates would have already commenced of most b schools. So I am curious if this profile will be suitable for good b school then atleast am having a back up with me.

I am in a dilemma what to do. What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Sumit

[quote="oneMBAcoach"]Hello crack800

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

[quote="crack800"]Hello Varun oneMBAcoach,

Thank you for your revert. To give a brief about achievements and extra curricular, please find below details:
1. In terms of achievements when I was working with Deloitte in stat audit, there was a situation wherein I was junior most member of the team and my senior fell sick during the assignment, the senior manager under whom i was working was all tensed as to how this assignment will move forward, I had taken the stand and managed to finish the assignment very effectively and on timely basis without the senior. The senior manager was so impressed that he spoke about this incident to every person in my office.
Good to know. Go deeper into the story to flesh out what positive business impact happened due to this

Secondly, while working on one of the assignments I was working on cash accounts and while digging in more details I was able to find a fraud, which was happening since years and the company had no idea. The amount of fraud happened to be in few Crore rupees. This can be a story worth exploring for your essays.

2. In my previous job I had given few advice in taxation because of which company was able to save around 1 crore in tax with simple change in accounting entry. Further, I had assisted in getting a debt of 25 crores which was again largest debt the company had ever taken, this was a team effort but my computer skills made it efficient enough to finish the assignment in timely manner for which our team was appreciated by the management.
To conclude on the work front, you are highlighting your technical expertise. However it would be better idea to showcase the business impact your technical expertise brought in.

1. I have worked with Deloitte for three years where in I have catered clients from various industries for example: Asset management company, Insurance, NBFCs, etc. I understand all the process and best practice which are essential for a company to work smoothly.

2. While working in valuation and advisory services, I have valued a lot of start up companies and so I understand what all factors are essential for a company to get funding and which factors leads to failure.

3. While working in automobile company I had more focus on its finance department and so I understand importance of capital budgeting, costing, cost-benefit analysis while introducing a new product, impact of taxation, etc. [As I have prepared all these for the company]

In terms of academics:
I have scored:
78.92% in 10th
80.1% in 12th grade
Below avg acads in Grad. I would advise consider re-taking the GMAT. However will need to understand what sort of timelines have you set yourself.

Extra-curicular:
1. I have volunterred for Make a Difference as a teacher for one year, I had to discontinue it as my next job included more of travelling so I couldnt continue thereafter

3. I have made a short film on life of CA students which got more than 150k views
Interesting, but what transferable skills have you gained that will make you a better business leader.

I feel that my background in working with various industry makes my profile unique to be able to understand different business scenarios. this is a strength that can be fleshed deeper to bring out in your written applications.

Hope this helps! Let me know if something else would be needed for you to evaluate my profile.
The profile still needs to highlight some spikes. Also with your GMAT, lesser years of experience and the achievements that you have mentioned 25-50 will have to be considered. That said, it is a big pool and the process needs a deeper more personal understanding of you as an individual to zero in on the right set of schools.

Thanks,
Sumit
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello crack800

No need to be in a dilemma. You can call me on the undersigned. We can figure out together what is the best way forward for you.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

crack800 wrote:
Hello Varun @oneMBAcoach,

I am looking for a 2019 intake. I am having my CFA level 2 exams on 23rd this month, and then I wont be in town for 15 days. I will be back on 11th July.

However, after 11th July I am fully into profile building and I am Interested in discussing this further.

I am worried about the deadlines as schools haven't been shortlisted yet and GMAT score is a bit on lower side. I am planning to reappear GMAT but it seems I wont be able to give it before 25th August. Having said this, though I know that I might be able to score 40+ more atleast, but at the same time I am concerned what if things dont work out again, in such a case I would be in a state where R1 dates would have already commenced of most b schools. So I am curious if this profile will be suitable for good b school then atleast am having a back up with me.

I am in a dilemma what to do. What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Sumit

oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello crack800

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

crack800 wrote:
Hello Varun oneMBAcoach,

In terms of academics:
I have scored:
78.92% in 10th
80.1% in 12th grade

Extra-curicular:

Thanks,
Sumit
GMAT Club Bot