It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:00
I have been studying for quite sometime now.(say4-6 months) . Here are my scores :

4/8/2017 MGMAT : 600 (QA 40 VA-33)
5/11/2017 MGMAT : 580 (QA 42 VA-28)
6/26/2017 MGMAT : 600 (QA 43 VA 31)
3/5/2017 GMAT Prep 1 : 580 (QA 44 VA 27)
6/18/2017 GMAT Prep 2 : 610 (QA 44 VA 30)
8/6/2017 GMAT Prep 3 : 660 (QA 48 VA 32) [ Totally ignoring this score as I did pause twice for two sums, coz I was running out of time, there was no change in anything else apart from the two sums in the quant section)

GMATclub quant scores :
Q46
Q44
Q44
Q40
Q33
Q44
Q45
Q47
VA Range 27-30

Q47 in GMATclub test was one day before the real gmat. Yes, these were standalone quan sections.

8/16/2017 Real GMAT : 490 (QA 35,VA 26)

Test preparation
Quant : MGMAT, Magoosh Questions, OG, GMATClub Forum, GMATclub test
VA : Egmat, OG and GMAT Club.

I gave this exam as I missed rescheduling end date to reschedule the exam. I knew my scores werent enough to give me 740 on the real gmat, but since this was my first attempt, I thought I'll give this anway.

Now, needless to say I am yet to figure out , what the heck went wrong? My attempt was by selection order 2. Verbal,Quant,IR and then Essay.

During my mocks,Yes, not often I spent a lot of time on QA and IR questions , but I dont see how that should have an impact on my real GMAT as I started with VA and then QA and went to essay and IR later. Further, my target is clearly 740-750 and I dont have any option other than that and any scores below .

When I was giving the exam , i could realise I was reading SC questions and RC passages but nothing was really going inside my head. I was feeling blanked out. I read an SC statement and sort of looked at the options and seemed to just select one. In my practice exams and while practicing I really would go through meaning of the sentence and then check errors in terms of Clause,Modifiers,pronoun,comparison & parallelism. It's not that my basics are shaky. I had an accuracy of around 85-95% in 500 level ,60-70% in 600 level and at least 35-45% in hard SC questions. I was good in CR. pretty much above 95% in 500 level, and then around 75% in 600 level and at least 55% in hard level questions. What happened during the exam is beyond me!

I read a RC and I just did not get the head or toe of the paragraph. I am not saying, that I deserve to score 700+, but I was expecting at least 620-640 for this exam. Quant was more bewildering, I have no clue what just happened. The whole exam for 3 hours felt like I dont know what the heck I did. I can't tell you one sum if you ask me to recollect as a question. I dont remember anything in the some. I can gurantee , If I get that paper now, in my home and I sit to solve with without any time limit, I'll get at least 95% of the questions correct. I do have timing issues, and I did hurry in the exam, but how do I explain the sheer magnitude of mismatch in my mocks and the real exam. I mean , I got a Q48 , couple of weeks back. Yes, I paused for TWO sums, but how on earth does that number come down to Q35 in the real GMAT ? Please Help! I dont have any option other than scoring 740, i am more than willing to keep smaller targets and achieve it, but anything below 740 eventually, makes no sense for me!

e-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 15:14
Hi GMP12,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them in the same 'order' as how you took the Official GMAT?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi GMP12,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

Please find my replies accordingly! Just a quick edit :

My VA score is 23 and not 26. I was so Devastated, that I didn't even see my score properly.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi GMP12,

When you took your CATs:

Rich

When you took your CATs:

- I did not spent much time on Essay or IR. But can you help me understand how would that impact my performance in QA and VA? I did not start with Essay or IR in the real GMAT. I started with VA and then on QA. However, on most of my mocks, I did QA before VA.

- Mostly NO. Back when I was giving mocks(except the last one, where I got 660), I used the traditional method of QA and then VA. Please understand, that I did not spending much time on Essay or IR in those mocks.

-Yes.

-Not always did the give the mocks at the same time.

-As I mentioned before, I did pause twice, during the last exam where I got QA of 48. No time before that.Longer breaks? Not that I remember. I did not take the whole 8 minutes break in the real GMAT. I took about 3-4 minutes. Reason being, I was really not feeling tired. Although i felt my VA didn't go well at all, and my morale wasn't a the highest. Having said that, I wasn't expect anywhere near my target score anyway. But at least 600-640. Surely not 490, I never scored remotely as low as that anywhere.

- Repeat questions in all of the scores mentioned above was one question. I mean, I got only one question as a repeat in all my cats combined.

Further

Here are my feelings :

1) My academics are not brilliant/stellar,which tells me that never have I excelled a lot during exams in my life, however, I have done fairly well, in my work life, and are typically at the same level(in terms of salary and level of work experience) as most Tier 1 bschoolers in my Country(India).

2) I think, this is my biggest issue, and please correct me if I am wrong : There were so many times in CAT, in which I felt, if I had to do the Math/Verbal without time being bound upon me , I would do it correct. And more often than, not when I go back to my mistakes during my CATs, I dont even look at the solution. I just do the sum again and i get at least 85% of the wrong ones as correct.

3) I maintained the following benchmark for timming while giving the real GMAT.

Within first 15 minutes I completed almost 9 Sums.Similar,going forward. I remember, the first sum I just guessed and went ahead because 2 minutes had passed. I finished the Quant section with 2.5 minutes of time at hand. Have I hurried onto my exam? Can that be a reason for my score to drop big time like this?

As for VA. I had to read the same SC two times, before even understanding what it meant. I went ahead and guessed one. VA of 26 was the least I got ever. Last time I did a VA with time, I got around 28, however, I can understand the drop of 28-30 to 26 because I was a bit blanked out. But, my score in QA is beyond my ability to comprehend. If my basics were so bad in QA, how could I get 44-47 in quant in GMATclub tests?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 12:47
Hi GMP12,

From your prior post, there were a number of 'red flags' in terms of how you took your practice CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 22:33
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi GMP12,

From your prior post, there were a number of 'red flags' in terms of how you took your practice CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
[quote="EMPOWERgmatRichC"]Hi GMP12,

Ans :Nothing much, did a few sums/verbal here and there. Just one day before the test gave one of the Gmatclub Quant test,fully timed,no breaks or anything else.
Got Q-47. Lemme give you the level wise accuracy for this test :

500 LV - 16 sums - 88%(correct)
600 LV - 6 sums- 83%(correct)
700 LV - 15 sums- 20%(correct)

Above are GMATCLUB Quant test scores just one day before the exam.

Ans : I was anxious(even though this wasn't my D-day), I did sleep ok,not very bad either.I did wake up unusually early.I wouldn't say it was totally fine.Neither was it too bad.

Ans : 1.5 hours on busy Indian(bangalore) road.

Ans : I did put on this unusually heavy noise cancellation headphones, which I was never used to. Nothing else as such.

Ans: Nothing much, just went to the loo once.Started the test with 6 minutes of break still left. But I wasn't really jaded, that I had to take the full 8 minutes.

Took a stroll inside the facility and put some water on my face(at this point I knew, I bombed verbal,though not as bad as 23. I typically used to score 28-30(timed), and once took an un-timed verbal,got around 37(egmat)).

Ans: Quant? Yes.. Almost 2.5 minutes before.

Ans : Actually yes. As I mentioned before in the previous post. I'll give a small example : The first sum I was in, I was solving it, and by the time 2 minutes had already past, and I at least required more 30-40 secs more to solve, I did not solve it. I guessed it and moved on. I did just guess quite a lot of the sums. I have a habit of silly mistakes too. Some times I even read 144.4 as 140(one of my mock issues). I have my enhanced score report. It seems , I got only 50% of the first 1-9 Quant correct, and only 86% of the next 9-16/17 correct.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 14:24
Hi GMP12,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on how to improve.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 14:24

Need Help! Strange GMAT score! 610-490 Q 47 to Q35

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap