GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 14:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need help with Quant strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Need help with Quant strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 04:09
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I took MGMAT mock to check my progress in the Quant section especially. While I was scoring +Q49 in GMATPrep mocks, I could only score Q45 in MGMAT mock. When I was reviewing the Quant section, I was very surprised to see that out of 31 questions 30 of those are of 700+ level. In the exam, sometimes I take more than 3 mins to solve a particular question because I can compensate that extra time on easy questions. However, it was not the case this time and I have to guess the last 4-5 questions. If there is any chance that a similar situation could happen in the actual GMAT test, I have to find a better strategy. Any suggestions on how to prepare for such scenarios.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need help with Quant strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 14:07
Hi Rinng0,

Many Test Takers become too fixated on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on - instead of what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam. It's also worth noting that just because a 3rd party describes a question as "700 level" does not necessarily make it so. Most GMAT questions can be solved in more than one way, so if "your way" takes longer than faster, more-strategic approaches, then that might help to explain the pacing issue that you faced on this CAT.

Beyond that, the scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a bit tougher than the real thing, but they're close enough to give you a reasonably accurate assessment of your current skills. By extension, a Q45 Score on an MGMAT CAT isn't necessarily anything to be worried about.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 17:40
Hi Rinng0,

When taking the GMAT, you will not face a scenario in which 30 of 31 quant questions are 700+ level, and the strategy that you have been using--taking extra time to answer some questions and catching up by answering others more quickly--is commonly used by people who score high on GMAT quant.

Could you provide the exact score breakdowns of all your official practice exams? Is Q49 your quant score goal?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 09:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks Rich for your reply. Sorry, it took me while to reply.

As requested, please find the information below -
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
- I've been preparing for more than 3 months now. I try to study 2-3 hours in the weekdays and 5-6 hours during the weekend (sometimes including a mock test).

2) What study materials have you used so far?
- I primarily use GMATClub practice question banks, which I use on daily basis to solve few questions in each topic. Other than that I sometimes refer to Official Guide 2020, MGMAT SC, PowerScore CR, e-GMAT verbal.

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
GMATPrep Mocks -
Mock 1 - 620 - Q49, V25 - took as diagnostic test on 24th Nov'19
Mock 1(reset) - 710 - Q49, V37 - 28th Dec'19
Mock 2 - 720 - Q50, V37 - 11th Jan'20
Mock 3 - 730 - Q50, V38 - 25th Jan'20

MGMAT Mocks -
Mock 1 - Q45, V37
Mock 2 - Q47, V38

4) What is your overall goal score?
My goal - 750+ (Q51, V42)

5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
It's scheduled on 24th Mar'20

Please advise not only on the Quant but also on the Verbal section. I think I'm stuck at V37-V38 range.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 09:24
ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks Scott for your reply. Sorry, it took me while to reply. I think I understood why my MGMAT quant score was too low. It is because of the last 4-5 questions in which I had to guess and unfortunately all were incorrect. So, I took one more mock in which I scored Q47. Though it's not my target score, it's an improvement nonetheless. I think I can improve 2-3 more points if I stop making silly mistakes(happened in two questions).

GMATPrep Mocks -

Please provide your suggestions.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 12:38
Hi Rinng0,

At higher-and-higher score levels, points can be won and lost rather easily. By extension, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about the last Official CAT you took (the 730, on January 25th). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 07:36
Aren't MGMAT mocks far more tougher than the real GMAT test? I have seen that many candidates secured an increased score in the real test from what they got in MGMAT mocks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 09:54
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Rinng0,

At higher-and-higher score levels, points can be won and lost rather easily. By extension, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about the last Official CAT you took (the 730, on January 25th). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC

Hi Rich,

I prepared a document with all questions and my review comments. Request you to kindly check.
Attachments

GMATPrep Mock 3.xlsx [380.61 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 09:56
sjuniv32 wrote:
Aren't MGMAT mocks far more tougher than the real GMAT test? I have seen that many candidates secured an increased score in the real test from what they got in MGMAT mocks.

sjuniv32
I too felt the same. It's a bit harder than official mocks IMO.
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 07:27
Rinng0 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

Thanks Scott for your reply. Sorry, it took me while to reply. I think I understood why my MGMAT quant score was too low. It is because of the last 4-5 questions in which I had to guess and unfortunately all were incorrect. So, I took one more mock in which I scored Q47. Though it's not my target score, it's an improvement nonetheless. I think I can improve 2-3 more points if I stop making silly mistakes(happened in two questions).

GMATPrep Mocks -

Hi Rinng0,

Your official practice test scores are fantastic. When do you plan to take your next GMAC practice exam?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
197 Reviews

self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 08:52
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Rinng0 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

GMATPrep Mocks -

Hi Rinng0,

Your official practice test scores are fantastic. When do you plan to take your next GMAC practice exam?

Hi Scott,

My GMAT exam is on 24th March, so I'll be taking my official mocks on 14th and 21st March.
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 18:48
Rinng0 wrote:

My GMAT exam is on 24th March, so I'll be taking my official mocks on 14th and 21st March.

Got it. Once you take those practice exams, feel free to reach back out with an update.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
197 Reviews

self study course

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help with Quant strategy   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2020, 18:48

Need help with Quant strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep