It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 07:40
Hi guys.

Need some serious advice on how to get my verbal from low 30's range to 38-40+.

My quant is strong as I get 47-49, but would like to focus my energy for the next 4 weeks on improving my verbal.

I mainly have room for improvement for RC and CR. For RC, I see myself missing multiple questions from a same passage. I feel like it has to do with my reading style, given time constraints, etc. perhaps the pressure gets to me and I zone out and don't fully understand what I read.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2138

Kudos [?]: 1639 [1], given: 8

Location: New York, NY
Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 07:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Improving RC and CR requires a bit more than improving SC.

The key is to focus on the structure of the passage by being able to identify transition words easily and make sense of what follows without necessarily reading every single word.

See if this CR video helps:

http://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

For RC: http://www.gmatpill.com/readingcomprehension/intro.mp4

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Kudos [?]: 1639 [1], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10169

Kudos [?]: 3536 [1], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 11:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Tony,

Back in March, you scored 540 on the Official GMAT - so the work that you've done since then has clearly helped you to improve. I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been studying during that time:

1) What study materials have you used?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3536 [1], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 11:38
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tony,

Back in March, you scored 540 on the Official GMAT - so the work that you've done since then has clearly helped you to improve. I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been studying during that time:

1) What study materials have you used?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Thanks for the responses.

Rich, to answer your questions:
1) OG Books, Manhattan Prep (SC), Powerscore CR Bible (did not finish), Veritas Prep course, and some private tutoring.
2) My most recent CAT was last weekend. It was an official one by GMAT Prep, with a breakdown of Q49/V34, 690. One I did a month or so ago was nearly the same.
3) I am taking the test again in about 4 weeks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1105

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 21:14
tonyjyoo wrote:
For RC, I see myself missing multiple questions from a same passage. I feel like it has to do with my reading style, given time constraints, etc. perhaps the pressure gets to me and I zone out and don't fully understand what I read.
Have you tried noting down whatever you're reading in the passage, especially in long passages?
_________________

Profile

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10169

Kudos [?]: 3536 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 21:16
Hi Tony,

If your last 2 CAT results are essentially identical, then I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3536 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 07:09
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tony,

If your last 2 CAT results are essentially identical, then I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Rich,

1. Everything but AWA.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No. All timed and everything like the real day.
5. Yes. I saw maybe 2-3 questions before.

Tony

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10169

Kudos [?]: 3536 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 20:12
Hi Tony,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's likely what has happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, seeing 'repeat' questions, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' By extension, your practice CAT scores are likely not accurate.

For your next CAT, I highly recommend that you take a NEW CAT and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3536 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 07:05
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tony,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's likely what has happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, seeing 'repeat' questions, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' By extension, your practice CAT scores are likely not accurate.

For your next CAT, I highly recommend that you take a NEW CAT and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


1. My goal is 700-720.
2. January (Round 2) deadlines.
3. Dream school is NYU. Also applying to UCLA and USC, maybe one more.

I believe I took the test almost like the real day. You can choose the order of the test now so if I did the AWA after the verbal/quant, it doesn't change the 800 score. Aside from the fact that I saw 2 problems I've done before, I'd say it's pretty accurate.

Which brings me to my original question. Do you have any tips for reading comprehension? Thanks to all those who have responded as well.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 07:05
Would love some help with reading comp/CR strategies.

For RC, I have the most trouble with history/humanitarian type passages.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40.   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2017, 07:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need serious help on verbal, want to go from low 30's to 40.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.