It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need speaking and writing templates

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Wharton Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Posts: 133

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
CAT Tests
Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 03:52
Hi friends,

If anyone has good templates for speaking and writing sections. Please share to me. I am not good at both so i really need the templates. Some of my friends adviced me to use full notes. I watched some videos of full notes and wrote down templates. However, I feel these templates are too short for me. My friends are Indian so I think they can write well with short templates n put their words more but i can not.

Thank you in advance.
_________________

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2015
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 07:26
In my opinion, the TOEFL structure is divided into three cases as in:

1. Reading, Listening (Lecture), Speaking (Q1,Q2,Q4 and Q6) and Writing (independent)

Introduction ......(for speaking, you could pick your introduction from the question)
.....signal words like categorized, divided, for two reasons e.t.c prepares reader/listener/speaker for 'The Body'

First point + Details + Examples

Second point + Details + Examples

X..........point + Details + Example

Conclusion ....e.g that is why ..., for these reasons.....(could be taken from introduction rephrased)

2. Listening, Speaking (Q3 and Q5) and Writing (Integrated)

Introduction
.............note signal words like opposes/disagrees/refutes etc
..............note thesis signals like "for two/three reasons" e.t.c
Point 1 + detail
............note signal words like "which refutes, in which the student disagrees" WITH ARTICLE/READING


Point 2 + detail
............note signal words like "which opposes" as opposed to THE READING/NOTICE/ANNOUNCEMENT

Conclusion (could be taken from introduction rephrased)

3. Listening (Academic conversation), Speaking (Q5)
Person A : Introduce Problem
Person B: Responds
Person A/B : discusses solution 1 + details (may include Pros and cons)
AND/OR
Person A/B : discusses solution 2 (may include Pros and cons)

Conclusion (note what could happen next afterwards)

In the case of Q5,
Discuss your solution (brief introduction (e.g In my opinion) + Detail + conclusion )



In my opinion, understanding these structure and the kind of questions one expect, one can easily write down his/her own template in his own words without memorization.
I think that would be more natural.
Although, may not be perfect, I hope it helps

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Wharton Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Posts: 133

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
CAT Tests
Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 18:37
tosinUPM wrote:
In my opinion, the TOEFL structure is divided into three cases as in:

1. Reading, Listening (Lecture), Speaking (Q1,Q2,Q4 and Q6) and Writing (independent)

Introduction ......(for speaking, you could pick your introduction from the question)
.....signal words like categorized, divided, for two reasons e.t.c prepares reader/listener/speaker for 'The Body'

First point + Details + Examples

Second point + Details + Examples

X..........point + Details + Example

Conclusion ....e.g that is why ..., for these reasons.....(could be taken from introduction rephrased)

2. Listening, Speaking (Q3 and Q5) and Writing (Integrated)

Introduction
.............note signal words like opposes/disagrees/refutes etc
..............note thesis signals like "for two/three reasons" e.t.c
Point 1 + detail
............note signal words like "which refutes, in which the student disagrees" WITH ARTICLE/READING


Point 2 + detail
............note signal words like "which opposes" as opposed to THE READING/NOTICE/ANNOUNCEMENT

Conclusion (could be taken from introduction rephrased)

3. Listening (Academic conversation), Speaking (Q5)
Person A : Introduce Problem
Person B: Responds
Person A/B : discusses solution 1 + details (may include Pros and cons)
AND/OR
Person A/B : discusses solution 2 (may include Pros and cons)

Conclusion (note what could happen next afterwards)

In the case of Q5,
Discuss your solution (brief introduction (e.g In my opinion) + Detail + conclusion )



In my opinion, understanding these structure and the kind of questions one expect, one can easily write down his/her own template in his own words without memorization.
I think that would be more natural.
Although, may not be perfect, I hope it helps

Thank you, tosinUPM so much for help. So nice of you :-D
_________________

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2015
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 17:02
You are welcome.

I hope it helps.

Other points I would like to include:

1: Using adjectives that denote quality, use of simile, metaphors, and words that describe how the senses react or feel.

2: If possible, an answer to WWWWW (what why who when where) which could be used in the introduction, body and conclusion depending on the question

3: Give introductory statement early so you could give a detailed description

4: Generally, I also suggest that one writes the exam bearing in mind he/she would try to give more information about himself/herself during the exam.
In my opinion, a lot of the independent questions on speaking and writing are really about knowing more from exam taker. Bearing this in mind would put one at ease. This includes ones perception of various issues, ones likes e.t.c This could help to give a more natural, passionate and spontaneous response. However, the writing part also requires a logical and organized flow of writing

Last edited by tosinUPM on 29 Nov 2015, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Wharton Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Posts: 133

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
CAT Tests
Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 07:48
tosinUPM wrote:
You are welcome.

I hope it helps.

Other points I would like to include:

1: Using adjectives that denote quality, use of simile, metaphors, and words that describe how the senses react or feel.

2: If possible, an answer to WWWWW (what why who when where) which could be used in the introduction, body and conclusion depending on the question

3: Give introductory statement early so you could give a detailed description

4: Generally, I also suggest that one writes the exam bearing in mind he/she would try to give more information about himself/herself during the exam.
In my opinion, a lot of the independent questions on speaking and writing are really about knowing more from exam taker. Bearing this in mind would put one at ease. This includes ones perception of various issues, ones likes e.t.c This could help to give a more natural, passionate and spontaneous response. However, the writing part also requires a logical and organized flow of writing


Thank you ,tosinUPM :-D I will follow them .
_________________

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 05:57
Hi! There are actually lots of example templates on the web. Take a look at this one, for example: 4tests . com / toefl
There you can take a look at an example and also try yourself.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Wharton Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Posts: 133

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
CAT Tests
Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 18:49
ellyhuston wrote:
Hi! There are actually lots of example templates on the web. Take a look at this one, for example: 4tests . com / toefl
There you can take a look at an example and also try yourself.

Thank you ellyhuston
_________________

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2015
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 07:20
I found this youtube video titled "TOEFL Independent Writing Task - Live Essay Demonstration 1" helpful for the second writing question

For the first writing question, I suggest taking as many notes as possible from the lecture. This would increase the word count, and can easily be contrasted with the passage since the passage would be displayed on the screen.

The "toefl tv" youtube video on Writing integrated questions also indicates this.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need speaking and writing templates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 01:02
tosinUPM wrote:
You are welcome.

I hope it helps.

Other points I would like to include:

1: Using adjectives that denote quality, use of simile, metaphors, and words that describe how the senses react or feel.

2: If possible, an answer to WWWWW (what why who when where) which could be used in the introduction, body and conclusion depending on the question

3: Give introductory statement early so you could give a detailed description

4: Generally, I also suggest that one writes the exam bearing in mind he/she would try to give more information about himself/herself during the exam.
In my opinion, a lot of the independent questions on speaking and writing are really about knowing more from exam taker. Bearing this in mind would put one at ease. This includes ones perception of various issues, ones likes e.t.c This could help to give a more natural, passionate and spontaneous response. However, the writing part also requires a logical and organized flow of writing


Great tips, thank you! :-D
_________________

I love writing. Writing loves me. I'm doing professional letter writing. Check it out.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Need speaking and writing templates   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2016, 01:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need speaking and writing templates

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: carcass, subhashghosh



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.