It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New long term strategy and the ultimate question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

New long term strategy and the ultimate question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
I need a new long-term study plan

So the background. Started studying for first round back in September. Over the course of five practice tests I had a Q percentile in the 30%s and a V percentile in the 60%s (side note what actually constitutes a difference in the Q and V to cause alarm?) with a score around 550

Took the test round one in December and got a 480 overall, 12% Q, 67% V. Studied for another two months, hired a math tutor got 490 22% Q, 40% V.

Now aside from the fact I was (and still am) ready to rip my hair out of frustration, cause that's not just like tiny improvement of my Q that's also crazy fluctuation of the V which was a strong suit, I'm wiling to give this another shot.

Here is the quick bullet points of good things I did during my studying:

Kept an informal error log, explaining what I did or at least how I should have done it
Made flash cards of math formulas
At the end of the day, summarize three things I wanted to take away from that session

Bad things:
Took all my practice tests in the month before my exam, which didnt really allow me to improve between tests
Hired a math tutor but not a GMAT math tutor
Only really used two books (Kaplan guide and McGraw Hill 500 math questions to know)
Spent my Sunday's leading up to the test the first time at work from AM to AM the next morning

With all that said there are a couple of things I'd like a solid answer for before really getting into this because if I do this again I want a serious shot at a 700 +

1. What is the best way to figure out how my scores are so off from the practice to actual/ how did they improve so little despite all that time? That can be a hired solution, or self solution but something that will give me hard answer

2. What about the GRE? Where is the best place to get some GRE vs GMAT advice?

Everything else (ie strategy and timing) will figure itself out once I get the answers to those questions

Gracias

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27152 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: New long term strategy and the ultimate question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 17:15
Were you good at math in general? Do you hate it?
It sounds like you may have some issues with the very fundamentals or just application. Something may be missing and switching to GRE is unlikely to fix it. Sometimes people can solve all the questions until the timer starts and sometimes they can't figure out a question that they have seen 30 mins ago. I would suggest you get some better tools and materials. What you have used is really some backwater stuff (Kaplan is not bad but their Math Workbook is more helpful).

I would suggest doing a restart and getting a MGMAT Math Foundations book. Start there and see where it takes you but don't focus on speed - try to make sure the material is sinking in. Thin of how you would use it; make sure you do all the exercises, and if you are not hitting 90% accuracy, that should give you an indicator that you need to fix something (e.g. studying at 10 PM is really unproductive - make sure you set dedicated study time and it is good quality time when you can focus and spend 1-2 hrs uninterrupted by Facebook, Phone, people ordering coffee at the coffee shop). I would only do low end/short tasks on public transportation or at coffee shops such as memorizing formulas/words/etc you may need to do.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27152 [0], given: 5001

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

New long term strategy and the ultimate question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 08:45
bb wrote:
Were you good at math in general? Do you hate it?
It sounds like you may have some issues with the very fundamentals or just application. Something may be missing and switching to GRE is unlikely to fix it. Sometimes people can solve all the questions until the timer starts and sometimes they can't figure out a question that they have seen 30 mins ago. I would suggest you get some better tools and materials. What you have used is really some backwater stuff (Kaplan is not bad but their Math Workbook is more helpful).

I would suggest doing a restart and getting a MGMAT Math Foundations book. Start there and see where it takes you but don't focus on speed - try to make sure the material is sinking in. Thin of how you would use it; make sure you do all the exercises, and if you are not hitting 90% accuracy, that should give you an indicator that you need to fix something (e.g. studying at 10 PM is really unproductive - make sure you set dedicated study time and it is good quality time when you can focus and spend 1-2 hrs uninterrupted by Facebook, Phone, people ordering coffee at the coffee shop). I would only do low end/short tasks on public transportation or at coffee shops such as memorizing formulas/words/etc you may need to do.

Good Luck!

See that's the kicker, although I did repeat some problems I already did, by the time I was at the test I was completing the questions at about a 50% rate. I know the book isn't the test but the numbers on the test don't match up with my practice. So you're saying is that I should be at 90% when answering these questions? That just as a general rule of thumb or for getting a score in the 700s?

Also, got any more suggestions to services which could be a little more diagnostic in figuring out what my issue is?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 39

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: New long term strategy and the ultimate question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:38
GeauxSwish wrote:
I need a new long-term study plan

So the background. Started studying for first round back in September. Over the course of five practice tests I had a Q percentile in the 30%s and a V percentile in the 60%s (side note what actually constitutes a difference in the Q and V to cause alarm?) with a score around 550

Took the test round one in December and got a 480 overall, 12% Q, 67% V. Studied for another two months, hired a math tutor got 490 22% Q, 40% V.

Now aside from the fact I was (and still am) ready to rip my hair out of frustration, cause that's not just like tiny improvement of my Q that's also crazy fluctuation of the V which was a strong suit, I'm wiling to give this another shot.

Here is the quick bullet points of good things I did during my studying:

Kept an informal error log, explaining what I did or at least how I should have done it
Made flash cards of math formulas
At the end of the day, summarize three things I wanted to take away from that session

Bad things:
Took all my practice tests in the month before my exam, which didnt really allow me to improve between tests
Hired a math tutor but not a GMAT math tutor
Only really used two books (Kaplan guide and McGraw Hill 500 math questions to know)
Spent my Sunday's leading up to the test the first time at work from AM to AM the next morning

With all that said there are a couple of things I'd like a solid answer for before really getting into this because if I do this again I want a serious shot at a 700 +

1. What is the best way to figure out how my scores are so off from the practice to actual/ how did they improve so little despite all that time? That can be a hired solution, or self solution but something that will give me hard answer

2. What about the GRE? Where is the best place to get some GRE vs GMAT advice?

Everything else (ie strategy and timing) will figure itself out once I get the answers to those questions

Gracias

Don't forget to practice GMATClub questions and take timers every day... really great opportunity and this is free :)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 39

Re: New long term strategy and the ultimate question   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 11:38