It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 10:48

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New Zealand MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User
New Zealand MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 08:43
Hi all

Hope you're well.

Out of interest, has anyone completed or considered studying towards an MBA in New Zealand?

If so, please share your experience and/or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

MD

Last edited by mrdlm on 11 Apr 2017, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 75

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: New Zealand MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 21:22
following
I am interested too regarding post mba opportunities and quality of education

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
I was researching NZ programs for a long time.

It all depends on what you're looking for.
MBA itself won't get you a job in NZ. It will give you an opportunity to look for one, but still NZ employers are mainly looking at your experience rather than a degree. However, having a degree certainly wouldn't hurt. Remember that NZ job market is very tight.
You need to know that many MBA programs in NZ don't require GMAT (you're still may need this though) and their admission criterias are not very challenging compared to the requirements of the let's say top 100 MBA programs in the US, which can easily destroy one of the greatest MBA experiences - Peer-to-peer learning, since you can end up with a weak student body.
Also, if you are comparing MBA programs in NZ and in the US, you need to keep in mind that although MBA programs in the US are more expensive than those in NZ, there are still more funding opportunities in the US, especially if you're an international student. With some effort and luck, you can get full-ride for your US MBA degree, even get part of your living expenses paid. NZ universities are not very generous with international scholarships. You can work off-campus though no more than 20 hours a week, but you still need to look for a job on your own and this load may take your focus away from studying.
I chose not to apply to the NZ MBA program because for me the possible outcome from that kind of programs in NZ in no way matches the time and money spent. There are other less expensive opportunities to get PR in NZ if you are interested in staying there. There are great agriculture, sustainability and visual design programs in NZ, but if you're looking for an MBA program, it's better to look somewhere else.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 23:10
^^ Thanks for the input mate
DO you have any idea about European market I am shortlisted by hochschule offenburg,Germany in International Business Consulting Program your words on it?
bakavoice

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 23:57
ehsan090 wrote:
^^ Thanks for the input mate
DO you have any idea about European market I am shortlisted by hochschule offenburg,Germany in International Business Consulting Program your words on it?
bakavoice

you're welcome :wink:
Unfortunately, I've no idea about business education programs in Europe. Well, I live in Russia, which is considered a part of Europe and in case you're thinking of going to study in Russia, don't. It's not worth it.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 02:20
bakavoice wrote:
I was researching NZ programs for a long time.

It all depends on what you're looking for.
MBA itself won't get you a job in NZ. It will give you an opportunity to look for one, but still NZ employers are mainly looking at your experience rather than a degree. However, having a degree certainly wouldn't hurt. Remember that NZ job market is very tight.
You need to know that many MBA programs in NZ don't require GMAT (you're still may need this though) and their admission criterias are not very challenging compared to the requirements of the let's say top 100 MBA programs in the US, which can easily destroy one of the greatest MBA experiences - Peer-to-peer learning, since you can end up with a weak student body.
Also, if you are comparing MBA programs in NZ and in the US, you need to keep in mind that although MBA programs in the US are more expensive than those in NZ, there are still more funding opportunities in the US, especially if you're an international student. With some effort and luck, you can get full-ride for your US MBA degree, even get part of your living expenses paid. NZ universities are not very generous with international scholarships. You can work off-campus though no more than 20 hours a week, but you still need to look for a job on your own and this load may take your focus away from studying.
I chose not to apply to the NZ MBA program because for me the possible outcome from that kind of programs in NZ in no way matches the time and money spent. There are other less expensive opportunities to get PR in NZ if you are interested in staying there. There are great agriculture, sustainability and visual design programs in NZ, but if you're looking for an MBA program, it's better to look somewhere else.

Thanks a lot for the response!

Apart from cost (tuition & living), why the initial interest in NZ?

Also, was your research limited to NZ and the US, or did you also consider Australia and/or Canada?

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 03:24
mrdlm wrote:

Also, was your research limited to NZ and the US, or did you also consider Australia and/or Canada?

You're welcome :wink:
I was (and still am) interested in moving to NZ. I like the country and everything, so I spent much time figuring out how to move there. For me doing an MBA in the US and moving to NZ some time in the future looks more realistic and much cheaper than doing MBA in NZ and staying there.
I've also taken a look at Australian business schools, but there are two drawbacks there: they are even more expensive than the schools in NZ and there is practically no point of doing an MBA in Australia if you're not going to stay there. Even if you are, the chances of being hired after an MBA without having the work permit are close to zero. A very few companies will sponsor the visa for you, plus there are restrictions for the companies that are interested in hiring a foreign talent. The proccess is very complex and the outcome doesn't look very optimistic there.

I've also taken a look at Canada and its business schools, but not very close look.

Overall, financing opportunities are very important to me and US business schools provide those opportunities for the top students in their programs. So I went with the US and I got what I wanted.

Everything depends on your goals and the money that you can spend. If money is no object, then you can choose whatever you want. However, if you have limited funds, I suggest you look into US and Canada schools. If you need advice on how to get full-ride or scholarship from the school, I can help you out. I myself have positive experience with two schools.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 05:54
bakavoice wrote:
mrdlm wrote:

You're welcome :wink:
I was (and still am) interested in moving to NZ. I like the country and everything, so I spent much time figuring out how to move there. For me doing an MBA in the US and moving to NZ some time in the future looks more realistic and much cheaper than doing MBA in NZ and staying there.
I've also taken a look at Australian business schools, but there are two drawbacks there: they are even more expensive than the schools in NZ and there is practically no point of doing an MBA in Australia if you're not going to stay there. Even if you are, the chances of being hired after an MBA without having the work permit are close to zero. A very few companies will sponsor the visa for you, plus there are restrictions for the companies that are interested in hiring a foreign talent. The proccess is very complex and the outcome doesn't look very optimistic there.

I've also taken a look at Canada and its business schools, but not very close look.

Overall, financing opportunities are very important to me and US business schools provide those opportunities for the top students in their programs. So I went with the US and I got what I wanted.

Everything depends on your goals and the money that you can spend. If money is no object, then you can choose whatever you want. However, if you have limited funds, I suggest you look into US and Canada schools. If you need advice on how to get full-ride or scholarship from the school, I can help you out. I myself have positive experience with two schools.

Firstly, congratulations! :)

Money is most definitely a concern, as (I'm sure you already know) I'm currently working with one of if not thee most volatile currency in the world. :P

Please would you elaborate on why there's no point doing an MBA in Australia if you don't intend on staying?

I understand an MBA in no way guarantees a job in the country you studied but I can't imagine Australia being any more stringent than the US, Canada or NZ for that matter, or am I mistaken?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 20:09
Generally, an MBA from NZ will not be as reputable as those in the US / Europe, which is common knowledge.
However, if you like the country and want to live there, then there are some good universities in NZ, and of course it is a beautiful country to live in.
I have been to Auckland university for research seminars and have found the staff / research facilities to be very good. You would have to research your target industries and prospects post MBA as the number of opportunities might be limited as NZ is a small country.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 31

Re: New Zealand MBA   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2017, 20:09

New Zealand MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap