GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

No maths skills - GMAT/GRE first time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
No maths skills - GMAT/GRE first time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 05:46
Hi all ,
I am 38 years old and I'm planning to the take the GMAT or GRE this year (or early next year) and start a full time master’s degree in Belgium in September 2020. I would like to hear some tips on how to prepare for the GMAT and how should I approach studying at my age.
I graduated from university 16 years ago and my maths skills are very rusty (or perhaps non-existent as I can't even do mental maths in my head!). To be honest, I have always struggled with maths at school but I'm confident that I can overcome the challenges.
I believe I will have to start from scratch and learn the concepts first. Is this a good idea to get a high school maths textbook to start with? Or perhaps an online maths course? Once I learn the basics and feel ready I will take a preparatory GMAT/GRE course.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Best,
Dani
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: No maths skills - GMAT/GRE first time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 07:02
Danivp wrote:
Hi all ,
my maths skills are very rusty (or perhaps non-existent as I can't even do mental maths in my head!).
I believe I will have to start from scratch and learn the concepts first. Is this a good idea to get a high school maths textbook to start with? Or perhaps an online maths course? Once I learn the basics and feel ready I will take a preparatory GMAT/GRE course.

You are on the right path.

GMAT & GRE test quantitative knowledge covered in high school (10+2) level mathematics. Most testtakers have naturally rusty. All of those concepts can be relearned.

I suggest adopting a graded plan that unfolds slowly over time preferred by you.

* Learn and familiarize yourself with basic concepts. Any of the books avaialble with titles such as "Quantitative Ability" will work.

* Solve simple problems and repeat process.

* Progress to more complicated problems, eg. those that combine concepts, complicated calculations, etc.

* When you are preparing, do not worry if these problems are similar to any tests. Your goals are to develop your basic competencies.

* Once you have mastered these competencies, you can progress to targeted practice.

* Targeted practice involves preparing for specific tests, specific types of problems, testtaking skills, etc.

I personally prefer self-paced study from books and materails available online. Any courses you might take may force you into limited time intervals.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 07:06
Danivp wrote:
Hi all ,
I am 38 years old and I'm planning to the take the GMAT or GRE this year (or early next year) and start a full time master’s degree in Belgium in September 2020. I would like to hear some tips on how to prepare for the GMAT and how should I approach studying at my age.
I graduated from university 16 years ago and my maths skills are very rusty (or perhaps non-existent as I can't even do mental maths in my head!). To be honest, I have always struggled with maths at school but I'm confident that I can overcome the challenges.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Best,
Dani

Hi Danivp,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! I am not sure it's a good idea to refer to high school maths text books to begin your preps. Most of the GMATPREP courses are well designed and take you through the basics before taking you to the advance topics.

For Quant You can try out the TTP course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... h-focused/

Hope this helps. All the best.
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 07:12
Hi there!
For quant try TTP, really great course. Alsoo, once you start hitting 45+ in Quant, you may want to use GMAT CLUb tests. They are gem.
Good luck

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 08:55
Hovkial rohan2345 nigina93 Thank you ever so much for your inputs!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:53
Hello Danivp,

GMAT is not as easy as we assume. GMAT math is logic, and GMAT verbal is a real test of English as a language. So we recommend you to look for reliable resources.

Let’s be very clear that the desired score of 700 or above needs various possible combinations: V37/Q50, V39/Q49, V43/Q45. The basic study plan that you should follow according to our experience is :

Concept Learning ----- Solving a lot of questions ( Level 600+) ----- Taking mock test ----- Increase your level by learning shortcuts ---- Give as many mock tests

To be good with grammar, we will suggest you refer Aristotle Sentence correction grail. Also, try the 600+ level question for RC and CR. Look at this forum for some good, reliable resources which have questions that meet with GMAT trends.

For math, yes, basics are musts. You should visit our website https://www.mathrevolution.com to check our free trial lessons and free videos.To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you should opt for a 5-hour lesson on Math Review. Solve as many questions you can relate to different topics.

Once you do that, take a free diagnostic test to track your performance. You may connect without online experts for doubts solving.

Once your basics are strong, we recommend you to learn quick and alternative approaches to solve questions to save you the time. Q 51 shortcut on our website will help you do so.

Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management. So you should keep a proper track of your mock test scores.

Let us know if you have further questions.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: No maths skills - GMAT/GRE first time   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 07:53

No maths skills - GMAT/GRE first time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics