Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Noob in need of help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi karek77,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

You ask a number of important questions, but until we have that first CAT score, it's difficult to give you a specific answer to any of those questions. The 700+ score is essentially the 90th percentile (meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high regardless of how many times they take the GMAT), so it's a tough goal and you will likely need more study resources than the ones that you've listed. In addition, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you have to be prepared to put in some serious training time as part of this process. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
karek77 wrote:
Is the OG13 the same as GMAT Official Guide 2018 Bundle: Books + Online?
No. The 13th edition is an older version of the OG (this one), and the 2018 is the latest (this one). The 2018 is also available as a bundle here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi karek77,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

You ask a number of important questions, but until we have that first CAT score, it's difficult to give you a specific answer to any of those questions. The 700+ score is essentially the 90th percentile (meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high regardless of how many times they take the GMAT), so it's a tough goal and you will likely need more study resources than the ones that you've listed. In addition, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you have to be prepared to put in some serious training time as part of this process. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC thank you very much for your response.

I think I have done the CAT already and I scored 590 points from just the Verbal and Quantitative sections, I didnt do the Analytical Writing Assesment neither the Integrated Reasoning part of the test. (The CAT is from the GMAT prep from mba website right?). I started doing all this just today.

I do have a lot of time on my hands right now which I intend to fully commit for GMAT and Case Interviews studies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi karek77,

To start, a 590 is a good initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). That having been said, you will likely still need at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to hit your goal score. You didn't include your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores - and that information is relevant, since we need to define the areas that you likely need to spend more time on. In addition, since many Business Schools expect applicants to score at a minimal level in the Essay section (for many many Programs, a score of 4.0 or higher is expected), so you have to make sure to take the FULL CAT each time and practice the Essay.

From your posts, it sounds like you have some flexibility as to when you can take the Official GMAT, so you could start studying however you choose. However, if you'd like to be efficient during your studies, you might want to consider investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Noob in need of help [#permalink]
I totally forgot I'm sorry

Q 44
V 27

It actually depends on how I'm doing with my studies, as I said I have lots of free time at the moment so I can totally focus on the studies.

Not sure about the schools, I started this thinking only on applying to a local school here but I don't know how scholarships on schools all over the world works. If I get a good enough score is it possible to get 100% scholarships? Do they offer housing? I wasnt kidding when I said I started all this yesterday

Do you recommend one of these GMAT Courses? Have in mind that US$ is very expensive for me.

Thanks again for the help.

Do I just get a book and start (reading/doing exercises) from the beginning to end?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: ISB '19 (WD)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

I will suggest you to start with a practice test and see your base performance. This will help you identify whether you need more focus on verbal or Quant. Then start grilling down each section topic wise. 2hrs a day will do
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi karek77,

From your posts, it does not sound like you have a clear timeline or clear end goal (meaning a specific, "first choice" Business School that you want to apply to). While that lack of specifics is not a bad thing, it's tough to offer advice when you don't have a clear sense of your own timeline and goals. As such, I suggest that you do a bit of research and try to put together a list of Schools/Programs that interest you. With that information, we can then determine the type of GMAT Score goal that you would need to be a competitive applicant and what it might take to apply for (and receive) a Scholarship to those Programs.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi karek77,

From your posts, it does not sound like you have a clear timeline or clear end goal (meaning a specific, "first choice" Business School that you want to apply to). While that lack of specifics is not a bad thing, it's tough to offer advice when you don't have a clear sense of your own timeline and goals. As such, I suggest that you do a bit of research and try to put together a list of Schools/Programs that interest you. With that information, we can then determine the type of GMAT Score goal that you would need to be a competitive applicant and what it might take to apply for (and receive) a Scholarship to those Programs.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
jatin0705 wrote:
Hi,

I will suggest you to start with a practice test and see your base performance. This will help you identify whether you need more focus on verbal or Quant. Then start grilling down each section topic wise. 2hrs a day will do

Probably I got to start with that as well. Thanks for recommendations
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
MattHolmes wrote:
jatin0705 wrote:
Hi,

Probably I got to start with that as well. Thanks for recommendations

Agree with that approach. 2 hours a day will be fine - though on weekends, you should budget 4+ hours so you get a chance to dive much deeper.

During your studies, you may want to test yourself with this online question bank we have here: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

In general, we recommend a divide and conquer approach. Focus your studies on specific subsections -- such as SC, CR, etc.

Only when you feel comfortable should you start mixing various questions. The focus allows you to actually make improvement - while the mixing lets you experience what the actual exam will be like.

Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Bot