GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Not a Happy Ending, 590 -> 490 (2nd attempt)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Not a Happy Ending, 590 -> 490 (2nd attempt)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Dec 2019, 08:10
I apologize in advance that this is going to be a sad or might even qualify as a demotivating post for some, but I have nowhere to vent my feelings out so I'm using this Forum. I gave my first attempt in May this year and managed a 590 (Q44, V28). I was obviously not even closely satisfied with that score, but also felt that nervousness took the better of me (I was stuck at the first Quant question for nearly 7 minutes yet managed a Q44).

I took a break from GMAT after the first attempt till October, and probably that was one of the bigger mistakes I committed, as I broke the continuity.

Anyway, I had bought the ESR from my first attempt. It showed really poor performance in Geometry in Quant and CR in Verbal. I focused on these two areas well for my second attempt in addition to practicing official questions for SC, RC, etc. I felt my SC had really improved and was doing great on OG and tough official questions (till yesterday).

Cutting it short, today I went in for my second attempt at 11:30 AM Indian time and started off with Quant. The first 3 questions were done in 3 minutes, but I felt that I started getting really tough questions after that. I mistakingly believed that I'm doing great as the test is throwing tough questions at me and was way more relaxed compared to my first attempt. All that was a false belief, as I eventually scored a Q40. I cannot share the type of questions, as it's against GMAC policy but trust me they were way harder than the ones I encountered in first attempt (and now im doubtful whether GMAC probably gives one tougher questions in subsequent attempts).

Regarding Verbal, I felt as if I breezed till Question 16 but that definitely wasn't the case since I scored a dismal V18 (down from V28 in my first attempt 6 months ago). To be honest, I felt more negatively about my Verbal in previous attempt yet had a score 10 points higher then.

I don't know where I will go forward after this especially with Round 2 deadlines approaching. No prizes for guessing that I'm pretty much shattered and broken at this moment and I even contemplated suicide in afternoon, but didn't have Guts to go through with it.

Moral of the story: TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED. I took improvement for granted and instead of an expected 100 point increase, my score dropped by a 100 points.

Originally posted by ab965 on 09 Dec 2019, 07:23.
Last edited by ab965 on 09 Dec 2019, 08:10, edited 3 times in total.
SC Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Not a Happy Ending, 590 -> 490 (2nd attempt)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 07:31
Sorry to hear about your experience, but nonetheless, never give up. Quant can be improved in the shortest possible time, i suggest you take up a good prep course such as ttp , and practice some quality questions from OG and GMAT club tests. GMAT is a standardised test , so you will reach your target score sooner or later, just keep working on the right path and follow a strategic approach. Initial attempts have no impact on the later ones btw. and yes, test day anxiety can crush gmat scores so that could be one of the reason. practice by giving as many mocks as you can in the gmat like environment. Keep trying, goodluck! :)
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 07:44
Really sorry to hear about your experience.

Curious to know which resources did you use for your prep and how much were you scoring in official mock tests?
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 07:48
Hi ab965 sorry to hear about it , I can really connect with the long break situations where I took two times in two years due various reasons , which even I feel the biggest mistakes but don’t worry when we make mistakes only we can learn from it so don’t worry about it one or other experts will surely help you here . By the time just check this out which may help you since when ever I get disappointed or demotivated I will look into it https://gmatclub.com/forum/self-motivat ... l#p2251600

Don’t loose hope and never give up .

All the best :thumbup: wish you will do better than before :angel:

Nothing is impossible
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 07:56
EducationAisle wrote:
Really sorry to hear about your experience.

Curious to know which resources did you use for your prep and how much were you scoring in official mock tests?

Thanks for condolences. I just attempted 2 GMAT prep mocks and 6 GMAT Club Quant mocks prior to my second attempt. Probably lack of full mock practice was a major issue. My score was 670 in both Prep Mocks, and ranged from Q40-Q47 in Club Quant mocks.
Also, I cannot blame GMAT Club Quant mocks, as the creators themselves admit they are not for someone who is around Q45 level, so there was no point practicing harder questions. Basically I was doing great in 500 and 600 level questions in both Quant and Verbal but struggling with 700 level. But today, I feel that I even greatly messed up the 500/600 levels.
Point is that decline from 590 to 490 is unheard of and I'm really stressed out at this moment. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 19:53
Hi ab965,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many weeks did you study for this attempt? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for this attempt. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 11:55
Hi ab965,

Hang in there my friend. I know things seem bleak now but you CAN improve your GMAT score. I’m happy to provide advice but would like to first learn more about your situation wtih the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some detailed advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Not a Happy Ending, 590 -> 490 (2nd attempt)   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2019, 11:55

Not a Happy Ending, 590 -> 490 (2nd attempt)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics