GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 21:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2017, 23:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (00:50) correct 53% (01:15) wrong based on 410 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, it also enables him to accumulate them.

a) Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on
b) Not only does speech enable man to handle and pass on
c) Not only is speech enabling man to handle and pass on
d) Not only speech enables man to handle and pass off
e) Not only speech enables a man to handle and pass on

Originally posted by Shaheensingh17 on 29 May 2017, 04:39.
Last edited by broall on 30 May 2017, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 20:51
Shaheensingh17 wrote:
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, it also enables him to accumulate them.
a)Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on
b)Not only does speech enable man to handle and pass on
c)Not only is speech enabling man to handle and pass on
d)Not only speech enables man to handle and pass off
e)Not only speech enables a man to handle and pass on

My take is B and just in 40 Seconds .
Main point in this Sentence is to notice that we need to compare Verb and not noun . i.e What all speech can enable. It enables man to handle and pass on .. and it also enables him to accumulate them .
However, the problem with the main sentence is that it is trying to compare speech with enable , which is weird .

a) Not only speech enable.. if this has to be kept as it is then after comma, it should be something like " text(a similar noun) enables ....
b)Now here if we notice , a new verb has been introduced to handle the situation . Now verb does is compared with enable .
c)Same issue as in A
d)Same issue as in A
e)Same issue as in A
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 21:06
gmat4varun wrote:
Shaheensingh17 wrote:
a)Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on
b)Not only does speech enable man to handle and pass on
c)Not only is speech enabling man to handle and pass on
d)Not only speech enables man to handle and pass off
e)Not only speech enables a man to handle and pass on

My take is B and just in 40 Seconds .
Main point in this Sentence is to notice that we need to compare Verb and not noun . i.e What all speech can enable. It enables man to handle and pass on .. and it also enables him to accumulate them .
However, the problem with the main sentence is that it is trying to compare speech with enable , which is weird .

a) Not only speech enable.. if this has to be kept as it is then after comma, it should be something like " text(a similar noun) enables ....
b)Now here if we notice , a new verb has been introduced to handle the situation . Now verb does is compared with enable .
c)Same issue as in A
d)Same issue as in A
e)Same issue as in A

Can u please elaborate GMATNinja

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 21:42
How can B be the answer, as speech is singular and enable is plural ?

A should be answer if it is not specifically one particular man.
E should be the answer if its a particular man, hence "a man".

Life is a challenge face it.

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 00:13
Shaheensingh17 wrote:

Why B and not A ..
Please help GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 09:47
Can someone please explain the role of does in OA and also, why enable is used with speech instead of enables?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jun 2017, 22:04
utkarshthapak wrote:
Can someone please explain the role of does in OA and also, why enable is used with speech instead of enables?

The question stem uses not only ... (but) also. Possible ways it can be used:

1. Speech enables man to not only handle and pass on more complicated ideas but also accumulate them.

2. Not only does speech enable man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, it also enables him to accumulate them.

Note that in 2 after "not only" a question form, i.e, auxiliary + subject + verb, is used. It's all about the use of "not only ... (but) also".

Seize the day.

Originally posted by Scorpi0n on 09 Jun 2017, 12:06.
Last edited by Scorpi0n on 12 Jun 2017, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 23:58
Shaheensingh17 wrote:

its a great question and i got it right too. However I would like to ask for the source of the question, because I might not have come across that sentence structure in my practice till now. Not that i am saying that the question is incorrect....
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 00:02
sobby wrote:
Shaheensingh17 wrote:

Why B and not A ..
Please help GMATNinja

When using not only . . . but also in a sentence, parallelism should be the goal. It means that the words following both parts of this correlative conjunction (i.e., not only and but also) should belong to the same parts of speech. For example, if a verb follows not only, then a verb should also follow but also. Using different parts of speech after each part of not only . . . but also makes the sentence imbalanced and, frankly, just awkward. Consider the examples below:

He’s not only intelligent but also has a great sense of humor. Incorrect
He’s not only intelligent but also funny. Correct

Both sentences mean the same thing, but the first is imbalanced. The adjective intelligent follows not only, whereas the dependent phrase has a great sense of humor follows but also. In the second sentence, however, the adjectives intelligent and funny follow not only and but also, ensuring that the sentence is parallel.

Comma with Not Only . . . But Also

Should you use a comma with not only . . . but also? Not usually. Generally speaking, a comma should not be used to separate pairs of conjunctions in a correlative conjunction. As you may know, however, there are often exceptions to grammatical rules, especially when dealing with commas.

It’s correct to write the sentence this way, with no comma:

When writing, Ann considers not only her topic but also her audience.

But if you really want to show special emphasis, you can add a comma:
When writing, Ann considers not only her topic, but also her audience.

Do hit the Kudos if that helped you. P.S. Does'nt cost ya anything :-D :-D :-D :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 19:17
kill3rlook5 wrote:
sobby wrote:
Shaheensingh17 wrote:

Why B and not A ..
Please help GMATNinja

When using not only . . . but also in a sentence, parallelism should be the goal. It means that the words following both parts of this correlative conjunction (i.e., not only and but also) should belong to the same parts of speech. For example, if a verb follows not only, then a verb should also follow but also. Using different parts of speech after each part of not only . . . but also makes the sentence imbalanced and, frankly, just awkward. Consider the examples below:

He’s not only intelligent but also has a great sense of humor. Incorrect
He’s not only intelligent but also funny. Correct

Both sentences mean the same thing, but the first is imbalanced. The adjective intelligent follows not only, whereas the dependent phrase has a great sense of humor follows but also. In the second sentence, however, the adjectives intelligent and funny follow not only and but also, ensuring that the sentence is parallel.

Comma with Not Only . . . But Also

Should you use a comma with not only . . . but also? Not usually. Generally speaking, a comma should not be used to separate pairs of conjunctions in a correlative conjunction. As you may know, however, there are often exceptions to grammatical rules, especially when dealing with commas.

It’s correct to write the sentence this way, with no comma:

When writing, Ann considers not only her topic but also her audience.

But if you really want to show special emphasis, you can add a comma:
When writing, Ann considers not only her topic, but also her audience.

Do hit the Kudos if that helped you. P.S. Does'nt cost ya anything :-D :-D :-D :-D

I am not sure for 100%, sorry.
Ok, "When using not only . . . but also in a sentence, parallelism should be the goal." We know it.
So, again, the question.

Why not A for example?
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, (but) it also enables him to accumulate them. (speech and it are not that parallel)
Do I understand you right? You mean that because after "also" comes "enables", it has to be the verb after "not only", and we put "does" here?
Not only does speech enable man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, (but) it also enables him to accumulate them.

So such option, for example, would be true?
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, (but) also it enables him to accumulate
them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 06:06
John HAS won two rounds.
Mary WAS promoted to vice president and given a raise.
The team DID qualify for the playoffs.

In the sentences above, the verb in blue is known as a HELPING VERB or an AUXILIARY VERB.

Generally:
When a sentence begins with a NEGATIVE -- not, never, seldom -- a helping verb will PRECEDE the subject.
Never HAS John won two rounds.
Not only HAS Mary been promoted to vice president, she has also received a raise.
Seldom DID the team qualify for the playoffs.

OA: Not only DOES speech enable man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas, it also enables him to accumulate them.
Here, the helping verb does precedes the subject speech because the sentence begins with a negative (not only).
The first clause conveys the following meaning:
Speech does enable a man to handle and pass on more complicated ideas.
The entire portion in blue -- does enable -- serves as a verb for speech.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

GMAT Club Bot
Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide &nbs [#permalink] 04 Aug 2018, 06:06

Not only speech enables man to handle and pass on more complicated ide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap