GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Number Properties?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Number Properties?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 15:27
So, I blew through Kaplan, Pearson, Manhattan and the official GMAT prep guide -- I was scoring 83%+ on Quant quizzes and practice exams, but I get to the test center and I get questions like nothing I've studied. Absolutely no geometry, no angles, no rates, no stats. I mostly got number property questions ("If X is a three digit prime number with the units digit being a factor of 7, how many possible numbers are there for X?..." -- not looking for an answer, just an example of phrasing.)

I haven't encountered anything like this in my test prep... Any suggestions on how to study/learn about stuff like this? I plan on taking it again... maybe I just got unlucky with the questions? Anyone else have a similar experience?
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Number Properties?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 04:00
jhh852 wrote:
So, I blew through Kaplan, Pearson, Manhattan and the official GMAT prep guide -- I was scoring 83%+ on Quant quizzes and practice exams, but I get to the test center and I get questions like nothing I've studied. Absolutely no geometry, no angles, no rates, no stats. I mostly got number property questions ("If X is a three digit prime number with the units digit being a factor of 7, how many possible numbers are there for X?..." -- not looking for an answer, just an example of phrasing.)

I haven't encountered anything like this in my test prep... Any suggestions on how to study/learn about stuff like this? I plan on taking it again... maybe I just got unlucky with the questions? Anyone else have a similar experience?

First thing first :
Here is the link to the post talking about the overview of the topics and their history on GMAT : https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... 11809.html

this is will give u an idea about where you should be focusing more on during ur preparation stage.

Now, regarding the concept of number properties, I have gone through many books but I feel the most comprehensive is this one here : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-87417.html
(Click on the link to Number Properties in that post).

You can practice such questions here : https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... mit=Search
and here :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... mit=Search

Hope that will resolve ur problem.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 10:00
That's an interesting experience. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess that there are two factors at play here:

1. You got unlucky. The exact number of Quant questions of each type of math isn't set in stone; it's possible to get more questions of one type and fewer of another type. I imagine it's also possible to get a question that's technically counted as one type, but has aspects of another type - many problems test more than one math concept, especially when you're doing tough problems.

2. Number Properties is a weakness for you. If a problem type totally baffles you, it makes it stand out more, which can make it feel as if there were way more problems of that type than there should have been. My understanding is that the GMAT takes content area into account when picking questions to give you - that is, if you've already seen a lot of Geometry problems, it's less likely that your next problem will be Geometry, even if the problem that the algorithm says is technically the best one is still a Geometry problem. I don't know much about what's going on under the hood, specifically - the GMAC won't tell us - but it shouldn't be possible to get a really 'bad' GMAT that only tests one area.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-01-2012
GRE 1: Q780 V500
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 23:50
This is definitely surprising. I have taken a few tests, but I havent seen this issue. However, MGMAT number properties book has "few" examples of these and I am sure you can find a bunch of topics/questions here too.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Number Properties? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Feb 2018, 23:50

Number Properties?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap