Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What school do I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stern '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern vs Cornell Johnson ($$$$) [#permalink]
While they are not really peer schools in terms of brand (NYU is a much older, well considered in the business community, with better placed alums, and a historically higher ranked school), I believe a full ride is a big advantage in today's economic/political climate.

You may find it a bit harder to recruit for MBB from Cornell, but not significantly. I'd take the money.

Go with Cornell unless
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
There have been some rumblings and concerns about the Stern's large PT program population.
A PT program is usually easier to get into and a large PT program is even easier to get into, and that has an effect on Quality of Candidates as well as exclusivity of the alumni group, and also has an effect on the public perception of the Stern degree.

MBB recruiting on campus is important as that is the best and easiest way to get in. It does not mean you will or the fact that BCG has 10 slots to fill out of 500 students helps anyone. You will have stiff competition for those slots among your classmates and chances of getting these positions are usually slim. I am not sure the odds are worth 150K ;-)

At the same time, I would not worry about finding your social circle - you will find it. Schools have very diverse student bodies and there are many circles, layers, groups, etc that you will be able to feel comfortable in. The fact that you did not run into anyone who you connected with at Admit weekend or during a school visit means almost nothing, really. Many people here acknowledged it and gave plenty of reasons why meeting a bunch of MBA candidates who are trying to impress is not how your experience will be 2 weeks into the program. It will calm down a lot and you will connect with some super impressive people how may have appeared as jerks at first but really are just a bit insecure and could be your life-long friends.

One other aspect, is that some of the best jobs are networked. You get the best chances to get in and the best options if you leverage your network, even better than BCG coming to campus. Can you leverage your NYC network from Johnson? Would you be able to tap it much more if you are in the city? (Johnson has recruiting trips that do go to NYC). I would argue that with both Stern and Johnson you will be tapping that network for internship and job search to gain an edge.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi bb - does the PT program affect recruitment for full timers?

I believe the PT cohort are not allowed to participate in on campus recruitment (i.e. where the interviews are held at NYU's building). I believe there are several other premium jobs for which the PT cohort cannot apply.

The reason I say I "believe" is that I'm hearing this from the full time cohort - so they maybe painting a rosier than real picture

bb wrote:
There have been some rumblings and concerns about the Stern's large PT program population.
A PT program is usually easier to get into and a large PT program is even easier to get into, and that has an effect on Quality of Candidates as well as exclusivity of the alumni group, and also has an effect on the public perception of the Stern degree.

MBB recruiting on campus is important as that is the best and easiest way to get in. It does not mean you will or the fact that BCG has 10 slots to fill out of 500 students helps anyone. You will have stiff competition for those slots among your classmates and chances of getting these positions are usually slim. I am not sure the odds are worth 150K ;-)

At the same time, I would not worry about finding your social circle - you will find it. Schools have very diverse student bodies and there are many circles, layers, groups, etc that you will be able to feel comfortable in. The fact that you did not run into anyone who you connected with at Admit weekend or during a school visit means almost nothing, really. Many people here acknowledged it and gave plenty of reasons why meeting a bunch of MBA candidates who are trying to impress is not how your experience will be 2 weeks into the program. It will calm down a lot and you will connect with some super impressive people how may have appeared as jerks at first but really are just a bit insecure and could be your life-long friends.

One other aspect, is that some of the best jobs are networked. You get the best chances to get in and the best options if you leverage your network, even better than BCG coming to campus. Can you leverage your NYC network from Johnson? Would you be able to tap it much more if you are in the city? (Johnson has recruiting trips that do go to NYC). I would argue that with both Stern and Johnson you will be tapping that network for internship and job search to gain an edge.
Alum
Send PM
bb10 wrote:

I believe the PT cohort are not allowed to participate in on campus recruitment (i.e. where the interviews are held at NYU's building). I believe there are several other premium jobs for which the PT cohort cannot apply.

The reason I say I "believe" is that I'm hearing this from the full time cohort - so they maybe painting a rosier than real picture

bb wrote:

I don't think that can ever happen. Imagine being a PT student. You go to the career centre and ask them to allow you to participate in the ON-Campus recruitment. I find it very hard to believe that the career centre will/can say no!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
stonecold

I can confirm that this is the case. PT MBA students have a seperate recruitment route for certain companies - such as MBB and IB - which have seperate recruitment routes for FTMBA.

There may be other routes for PT students - they have a very different timeline than the FT students. All the networking events are seperate also. I think this is such that they are not competing for the same spots.

They only take classes together.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb10 wrote:

Sure. Good question - you are correct that PT students are usually not invited to participate in the FT recruiting events.
The reference I made was that if a PT program is large and easy to get into, then the reputation of the Stern brand suffers. It happens in 2 ways:
1. Employers see their non-star employees get into Stern PT program and then associate Stern with that employee's level
2. The word of mount spreads as some of the PT folks take jobs and not perform at the expected level

This is the effect of a large PT program with lax admit standards (I do not know for a fact that the Stern PT program has lax admit standards but if it is large then there is a chance, it may).
Alum
Send PM
bb10 wrote:
stonecold

I can confirm that this is the case. PT MBA students have a seperate recruitment route for certain companies - such as MBB and IB - which have seperate recruitment routes for FTMBA.

There may be other routes for PT students - they have a very different timeline than the FT students. All the networking events are seperate also. I think this is such that they are not competing for the same spots.

They only take classes together.

Thanks for confirming. Good to know :cool: :thumbup:
I still wonder whether some of them actually do end up getting invites to the recruiting events. Although most people in the PT MBA are just looking to move up in their current company/position/field. Given that the average age is well over 30, most of them have already have a strong networking game to find employment.

Cheers,
Stone
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Interesting.

Just looking at the part time programs - NYU Stern is ranked number 4. Acceptance rates are similar for Stern and Kellogg. Size of program is similar to Booth.

I think cities like SFO, NYC and Chicago attract large classes because of their large populations and big economies.

See below:

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... e-rankings

bb wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Sure. Good question - you are correct that PT students are usually not invited to participate in the FT recruiting events.
The reference I made was that if a PT program is large and easy to get into, then the reputation of the Stern brand suffers. It happens in 2 ways:
1. Employers see their non-star employees get into Stern PT program and then associate Stern with that employee's level
2. The word of mount spreads as some of the PT folks take jobs and not perform at the expected level

This is the effect of a large PT program with lax admit standards (I do not know for a fact that the Stern PT program has lax admit standards but if it is large then there is a chance, it may).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Does anybody have data on Stern’s employment outcomes? I have the raw numbers for Johnson but haven’t been able to find Stern’s.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
DingDingBam wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Does anybody have data on Stern’s employment outcomes? I have the raw numbers for Johnson but haven’t been able to find Stern’s.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey buddy. Can you share some info you get from Johnson? How does it look for Asian male targeting management consulting? I received an offer from Johnson as well. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Found data on employment outcomes, and there's a surprisingly large difference in placements at MBB as a percentage of all consulting placements (15% for Johnson vs 30% for Stern).

Hard to pass up $160k but also hard to pass up a 2x difference in MBB chances.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
DingDingBam wrote:
Found data on employment outcomes, and there's a surprisingly large difference in placements at MBB as a percentage of all consulting placements (15% for Johnson vs 30% for Stern).

Hard to pass up $160k but also hard to pass up a 2x difference in MBB chances.

Just curious, have you deposited at both places and still making your final decision?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts