GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PT v FT at Booth or Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
PT v FT at Booth or Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 14:10
I'm 32 and after graduating an OK law school (top 30 but nothing special) I decided to go into finance in an area I had studied significantly in law school (dodd-frank and otc derivatives). Decision not to practice law was largely due to the fact that I would have ended up in commercial litigation, which I didn't enjoy, rather than finance law. Ended up with a BO job with a BB in OTC space, but got promoted in 1 1/2 years to FO--while it was trading, it just was basically reinvesting client collateral and managing some FX exposure, nothing very complex/interesting. Spent a couple years there, earned my CFA charter, and then left that for a risk job at another BB, again in the OTC space. Now thinking about going back to get MBA. Would like to stay in OTC space but hopefully on a good trading desk, but have also heard great things about management consulting and would consider that. From Chicago and have family so thinking Booth or Kellogg. I'm debating between the full time and part time programs. I would prefer the PT, but hear it has a terrible stigma(basically it is for those who couldn't get into FT). I was wondering about my chances at FT as an older candidate and what's the true difference between PT and FT in terms of job prospects.

Stats

-GMAT:770 (49q, 45v)
-UGPA: 3.67 in Econ from an ok flagship state school(3.45 when considering grades from the school I transferred in from)
-Law School GPA: 3.35 from top 30.
-CFA Charter
-Published paper on OTC derivatives regulation
-Volunteer: Just now starting tutoring in an adult literary program.
-Nothing to add from a diversity point of view (White Male from US)
-Leadership: Only work related. Just developing and taking ownership of different initiatives at work. No direct reports. Letters of rec will emphasize this.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: PT v FT at Booth or Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 01:33
Resipsa1 wrote:
I'm 32 and after graduating an OK law school (top 30 but nothing special) I decided to go into finance in an area I had studied significantly in law school (dodd-frank and otc derivatives). Decision not to practice law was largely due to the fact that I would have ended up in commercial litigation, which I didn't enjoy, rather than finance law. Ended up with a BO job with a BB in OTC space, but got promoted in 1 1/2 years to FO--while it was trading, it just was basically reinvesting client collateral and managing some FX exposure, nothing very complex/interesting. Spent a couple years there, earned my CFA charter, and then left that for a risk job at another BB, again in the OTC space. Now thinking about going back to get MBA. Would like to stay in OTC space but hopefully on a good trading desk, but have also heard great things about management consulting and would consider that. From Chicago and have family so thinking Booth or Kellogg. I'm debating between the full time and part time programs. I would prefer the PT, but hear it has a terrible stigma(basically it is for those who couldn't get into FT). I was wondering about my chances at FT as an older candidate and what's the true difference between PT and FT in terms of job prospects.

Stats

-GMAT:770 (49q, 45v)
-UGPA: 3.67 in Econ from an ok flagship state school(3.45 when considering grades from the school I transferred in from)
-Law School GPA: 3.35 from top 30.
-CFA Charter
-Published paper on OTC derivatives regulation
-Volunteer: Just now starting tutoring in an adult literary program.
-Nothing to add from a diversity point of view (White Male from US)
-Leadership: Only work related. Just developing and taking ownership of different initiatives at work. No direct reports. Letters of rec will emphasize this.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there,

First of all, sorry for the delay in my answer, I was on the road for two weeks, and haven't been able to post as regularly as I would like.

Now to jump into your question. there is no doubt that the Full-time program is more prestigious. And that you will get more networking and career services out of it.

However, (and you probably knew I was going to say this) it's like comparing apples and oranges. Is a part-time better for you? Do you prefer to continue working? Would you be able to land that job through your own efforts and Chicago network? The part-time program is of course easier to get into, which is why it might suffer from prestige. But can it be a better choice for you? Sure. There are many factors to consider, including time invested, money invested, what your needs are, and so on.

I think it boils down to what you want and need. do you want to take the time off to study full-time for two years? Do you want to make a big industry jump? Or would you rather work and study?

It's up to you dude,

If you can explain your reasoning and your thoughts, I might be able to advise you further, so don't hesitate to write.

Best,
Jon

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:48
I really would prefer to keep working as I like my job and the pay is pretty good. However, I would ultimately like to land a job in asset management, but would also consider management consulting if I could get into MBB. These jobs are extremely competitve and I think the "prestige" of the full-time and the additional career services and networking offered by the FT program would be extremely important. From risk to asset management would be a large intra-industry move upwards and I may actually need to do some time on the sell-side first. Given that it seems like the FT would be more inline with my career goals, how would you assess my chances of admissions.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:05
Resipsa1 wrote:
I really would prefer to keep working as I like my job and the pay is pretty good. However, I would ultimately like to land a job in asset management, but would also consider management consulting if I could get into MBB. These jobs are extremely competitve and I think the "prestige" of the full-time and the additional career services and networking offered by the FT program would be extremely important. From risk to asset management would be a large intra-industry move upwards and I may actually need to do some time on the sell-side first. Given that it seems like the FT would be more inline with my career goals, how would you assess my chances of admissions.

Well it's a bit of a gamble, and you need to bet on what you believe.
I think the question is: Can you tap your current network and do you have faith in your skills to be able to make that change without the clout of a full-time MBA? Yes? then do the PT. No? then the full-time.

I think your chances at Top 10 full-time should be pretty good. The only real neg I see from here (although to be honest I would need a lot more detail, is your age, but that can be offset by the fact that you have a law degree. I don't think you can necessarily bank on getting into Chicago, because it's hard to say what might happen at one specific school (although I do think you have a shot). But if you are open to applying to a range of schools in the Top 10 (which I think you should) and you weave for yourself a good story I would say you would be competitive at Top 10.

Hope this helps!

And feel free to drop us a line for a free consultation.

Best,
Jon

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

PT v FT at Booth or Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap