OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 26 Feb 2017, 16:35
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 167 [5] , given: 15

OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:53) correct 39% (01:01) wrong based on 1084 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

(C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

(D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 373

Re: OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 07:03
thanhmaitran wrote:
Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

(C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

(D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

I am stuck between D and E --- Experts please help !!!
E --- help in buying
D -- help to buy
both seem ok to me.

D- stocks that easily could have been brought directly VS E - stocks that could easily be brought directly

Hmm e.g. this work could be done easily without your help --- looks ok
But need more concrete reason to eliminate D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 15

Re: OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 07:26
anupamadw wrote:
thanhmaitran wrote:

E --- help in buying
D -- help to buy
both seem ok to me.

D- stocks that easily could have been brought directly VS E - stocks that could easily be brought directly

I think that the problem with option D is the tense. No need to use "could have been" in this sentence. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 373

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 09:41
thanhmaitran wrote:
anupamadw wrote:
thanhmaitran wrote:

E --- help in buying
D -- help to buy
both seem ok to me.

I think that the problem with option D is the tense. No need to use "could have been" in this sentence. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure....please post OE from OG.
As it is general statement about "many people" could be is fine.
Also original sentence used could be
5 KUDOS received
Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [5] , given: 45

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Meaning analysis:
1. People do not trust themselves to choose wisely
2. Hence they take help of stock brokers to buy stocks
3. (to buy) Stocks that can be easily bought directly

Error analysis:
1. Misplaced modifier. “Not trusting ..” should modify People – logically, How stockbrokers cannot trust themselves to choose. – Option A gives incorrect meaning

Incorrect – Explained above.

Misplaced modifier. – incorrect (same as A)
It creates even more funny meaning, people are turning to help brockers :P

“turning to stockbrokers for help from them” – from them seems to be redundant. Even if we remove it still sentence can stand.
Incorrect

“Help to buy” – People are turning to stockbroker for help to buy” , it probably saying People are helping brocker

“Could have been “ – past event, but we need to say about possibility not about what happened – incorrect meaning

Correct
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 222 [5] , given: 10

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vishwaprakash wrote:

Meaning analysis:

Error analysis:
1. Misplaced modifier. “Not trusting ..” should modify People – logically, How stockbrokers cannot trust themselves to choose. – Option A gives incorrect meaning

“turning to stockbrokers for help from them” – from them seems to be redundant. Even if we remove it still sentence can stand.
Incorrect

“Help to buy” – People are turning to stockbroker for help to buy” , it probably saying People are helping brocker

“Could have been “ – past event, but we need to say about possibility not about what happened – incorrect meaning

Correct

Nice Analysis Viswa.

Just one more point I want to add:

Easily is an adverb and is modifying the verb. Try to put the adverb as close as possible to verb.
For Option D) the verb is bought
So the ideal would be "that could have been easily bought".

For option E) it is already ideal.

Reach out to us at bondwithus@gmatify.com

Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 45

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 07:08
TeamGMATIFY wrote:

Easily is an adverb and is modifying the verb. Try to put the adverb as close as possible to verb.

Thanks TeamGMATIFY
Yes we have point there :) Will keep it in mind.

even, I am part of Gmatify :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 07:27
In the correct answer, what does "easily" modify?

What is the verb here? Is it be, bought, or be bought? So does "easily" modify "be", "bought", or "be bought"?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 00:10
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
vishwaprakash wrote:

Meaning analysis:

Error analysis:

Incorrect

Correct

Nice Analysis Viswa.

Hi GMATIFY

I have one doubt :

As per your analysis for option, if we have to twist option E, is it safe to assume :-

"many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could be easily" is better than "many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be"

I know OG answers are perfect. But just a doubt
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 852 [5] , given: 25

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Cadaver,

No, you wouldn't want to rewrite E in that way. E is using "easily" to modify "be bought directly." The meaning is that it is easy for people to buy directly. If we move "easily," it is now just modifying "bought." This would mean that what we can do directly is specifically to "easily buy" stocks. It oddly/awkwardly implies that "easy buying" can be direct, but "non-easy buying" cannot. Basically, it violates the order in which we should sensibly apply modifiers. Consider this example:

The movie will soon be shown in Taiwan.

We should be able to move "soon" right next to "shown," right? "The movie will be shown soon in Taiwan." However, putting the two modifiers next to each other at the end confuses the meaning. The meaning of the original was that the movie would be shown in Taiwan, and that this would happen soon. In the rewrite, "in Taiwan" modifies "will be shown soon" or even just "soon" (as opposed to just "shown"). This implies that while it will be shown soon in Taiwan, it might not be shown soon anywhere else.

Here's one other example of how adverb placement can affect meaning:

I will gladly sing sadly. (Correct. "Gladly" modifies "sing sadly." I would be glad to sing in this way.)

I will sing gladly sadly. (Incorrect. I would never write this way, but the most likely meaning would be the opposite of the above. I will sing gladly, but I will be sad while I am doing so.)

The moral of the story is that modifiers are like permutations. Order matters!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

VP
VP
S
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 74

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 04:16
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
vishwaprakash wrote:

Meaning analysis:

Error analysis:

Incorrect

Correct

Nice Analysis Viswa.

Just want to add one more point

Here the difference between D and E is ‘TO VERB’ VS ‘FOR VERB-ING’

I feel for help in buying stocks is correct as it is idiomatic. People turned to stockbrokers for help in doing sth(activity).
It is not idiomatic to say that People turned to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks.

Since for defines the purpose of doing something and
to buy changes its meaning as to+ verb is intentional.

Please correct me if am wrong or missed anything

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS '20

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 23:58
Hello Dmitry

I was referring to the MGMAT SC book (page 203, 6th Edition) where the logic for infinitives is explained and I am super confused now. In this question, there is also a split seen b/w "to buy" and "in buying".

Per my understanding from the book, it seems that for "to buy" in this sentence the subject is "many people" who are the ones that will buy stock. Also "Stock" is separately supplied here as the object for the infinitive "to buy" - In this case, why is the use of "to buy" unidiomatic here.

Your help will be really appreciated.

Thank you

DmitryFarber wrote:
Hi Cadaver,

No, you wouldn't want to rewrite E in that way. E is using "easily" to modify "be bought directly." The meaning is that it is easy for people to buy directly. If we move "easily," it is now just modifying "bought." This would mean that what we can do directly is specifically to "easily buy" stocks. It oddly/awkwardly implies that "easy buying" can be direct, but "non-easy buying" cannot. Basically, it violates the order in which we should sensibly apply modifiers. Consider this example:

We should be able to move "soon" right next to "shown," right? "The movie will be shown soon in Taiwan." However, putting the two modifiers next to each other at the end confuses the meaning. The meaning of the original was that the movie would be shown in Taiwan, and that this would happen soon. In the rewrite, "in Taiwan" modifies "will be shown soon" or even just "soon" (as opposed to just "shown"). This implies that while it will be shown soon in Taiwan, it might not be shown soon anywhere else.

I will gladly sing sadly. (Correct. "Gladly" modifies "sing sadly." I would be glad to sing in this way.)

I will sing gladly sadly. (Incorrect. I would never write this way, but the most likely meaning would be the opposite of the above. I will sing gladly, but I will be sad while I am doing so.)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 02:39
DmitryFarber wrote:
Hi Cadaver,

Really understood the point from what you explained. Thanks,

But i feel
I will sing gladly sadly makes no sense. Right?
Expert Post
B

Kudos [?]: 852 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 02:40
rsaahil90, in terms of our guide, "to buy" is an infinitive of purpose. It doesn't describe a noun; it describes why someone does something. It's hard to say exactly how it works here, because all of the choices that contain "to buy" are grammatically incorrect, but basically people are turning to stockbrokers to buy stocks. In other words, people want stockbrokers to buy on their behalf. You could also say that people want to buy the stock, and they are going to stockbrokers to get this done. In many ways, these are the same thing, since stockbrokers conduct the actual transaction, but the people who go to them are considered the actual buyers.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
B

Kudos [?]: 852 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 02:42
neha1993,

As I suggested when I wrote that sentence, I would be unlikely to produce a sentence like "I will sing gladly sadly" in any real context, but the meaning would be this: I will sing in a glad manner, but I will be sad to do so. It would make sense if, for instance, I were forced to sing a happy song while in an unhappy mood. Maybe I received bad news before stepping on stage . . . :cry:

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS '20

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 09:00
Hello Dmitry

Thank you for the reply - I am trying to comprehend it and almost there :-D

Cheers

DmitryFarber wrote:
rsaahil90, in terms of our guide, "to buy" is an infinitive of purpose. It doesn't describe a noun; it describes why someone does something. It's hard to say exactly how it works here, because all of the choices that contain "to buy" are grammatically incorrect, but basically people are turning to stockbrokers to buy stocks. In other words, people want stockbrokers to buy on their behalf. You could also say that people want to buy the stock, and they are going to stockbrokers to get this done. In many ways, these are the same thing, since stockbrokers conduct the actual transaction, but the people who go to them are considered the actual buyers.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA , IIMB, ISB
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 94

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 10:43
thanhmaitran wrote:

Hi chetan2u, daagh, sayantanc2kl

if i replace "could have been" in choice D with "could easily be" and then comapre choice D and E for the following
from choice D: help to buy
from choice E: help in buying

are these both correct?

"help to" is an idiom. i dont know how correct "help in buying" is. could you please explain.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
helpful post means press '+1' for Kudos!
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 21:53
still pretty confuse about whether to use help to buy vs help in buying
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 21:57
D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: Q44 V20
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 374

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 21:35

As per my understanding...the subject is many people...so A,B out.

D is incorrect as present perfect is not necessary...In C 'help from them'...from them is redundant..please correct me if I am wrong
Re: OG 2016 - Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2017, 21:35

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ]