It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG question for MIke

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

OG question for MIke [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 11:19
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

Hi Mike

Can you please comment on the use of not only structure in choice A. Choice A omits But, which i think can be omitted if we use the semicolon as is illustrated in some grammar books. Dose not the absence of but creates a run-on?

Choice A should have been written as follows
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts ; they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

Thanks
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Re: OG question for MIke [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 15:43
baithak wrote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

Hi Mike

Can you please comment on the use of not only structure in choice A. Choice A omits But, which i think can be omitted if we use the semicolon as is illustrated in some grammar books. Dose not the absence of but creates a run-on?

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts ; they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

Thanks
B

Dear baithak,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, when you post an SC question, please underline. I underlined for you in this question. This is simply a courtesy that makes things so much easier on anyone reading the question. This, of course, is SC #799 in the OG 2017.

It's funny. Version (A), the OA, does NOT need a semicolon. Ordinarily, if we had [independent clause #1] and right after that, with no conjunction, another independent clause beginning with "they also do X," then yes, we would need to separate the clauses with a semicolon. By contrast, in this case the "not only" in the first clause creates such rhetorical expectation that we absolutely know a contrast is coming, and even without the "but," the phrase "they also do X" after a comma is perfectly fine.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 08:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
baithak wrote:

Hi Mike

Thanks
B

Dear baithak,

My friend, when you post an SC question, please underline. I underlined for you in this question. This is simply a courtesy that makes things so much easier on anyone reading the question. This, of course, is SC #799 in the OG 2017.

It's funny. Version (A), the OA, does NOT need a semicolon. Ordinarily, if we had [independent clause #1] and right after that, with no conjunction, another independent clause beginning with "they also do X," then yes, we would need to separate the clauses with a semicolon. By contrast, in this case the "not only" in the first clause creates such rhetorical expectation that we absolutely know a contrast is coming, and even without the "but," the phrase "they also do X" after a comma is perfectly fine.

Does all this make sense?

I am sorry to say that still combination of "not only" and "they can also" isn't clear to me. Moreover, Why sell can not be parallel to pilfer?

If you don't mind could you please explain these issues any further?
Thanks in advance...

-Nahid

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 350

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 17:19
nahid78 wrote:
I am sorry to say that still combination of "not only" and "they can also" isn't clear to me. Moreover, Why sell can not be parallel to pilfer?

If you don't mind could you please explain these issues any further?
Thanks in advance...

-Nahid

Dear nahid78,

1) First, here's a blog article that may help you.
GMAT Idioms: Correlative Conjunctions

One common correlative conjunction pair on the GMAT is the "not only A but also B" structure. This is an intensifying combination: it is similar in meaning to "both A and B," but even more so, the "not only ... but also" form combines two elements that the reader wouldn't necessarily expect to go together. If someone is, for example, a medical doctor and a pro soccer player, we wouldn't expect those two roles to be occupied by the same person. We would highlight this exceeding of our expectations by saying "He is not only a medical doctor but also a pro soccer player."

Because grammar is NOT mathematics, this basic form admits of a few variations, all with the same meaning:
(a) not only ... but also
(b) not only ... also
(c) not only ... but

All of those can be correct, and all have the same meaning.

2) In this SC problem, the verbs "pilfer" and "sell" ARE in parallel.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Re: OG question for MIke   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2017, 17:19

OG question for MIke

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap