GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 11:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 May 2018, 07:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:25) correct 45% (01:35) wrong based on 519 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating

(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

Originally posted by GMATFIGHTER on 08 Mar 2010, 11:42.
Last edited by hazelnut on 09 May 2018, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
P
Reviews Badge
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 09:35
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

We Shall Overcome... One day...

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 07:36
IMO C ... 'has' is required and also it is short and active.

wats the OA ???

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 07:56
Option B is correct

Read it as --
A committee ... has developed
committee ... is creating
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 13:32
tricky one indeed...
IMO B
b) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating
has and is - correct tense for "achievements.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 22:43
pride requires has... As such, only (B) and (C) left.

committee requires singular verb agreement. Option (C) contains the wrong s/v agreement. Thus, (B).
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 23:05
Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city.

B for me for s/v agreement for pride and committee
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2010, 01:30
GMATFIGHTER wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

a) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating

b) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

c) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

d) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

e) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

Would you please explain your answer choice? I really appreciate your response! Thanks a lot!

Answer B for reasons marked in red,,,,

Hope this helps..

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2010, 07:23
IMO the answer is B.

Its parallel.

Tough because this is an example of one where the ideal way of phrasing the sentence is not an answer choice.

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 http://gmatclub.com/forum/handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2010, 10:54
my pick is (B)...what is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2010, 02:57
The answer has to be B, the only option to match the two subject-verb agreements (growing pride+has, a committee+is).
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 15:46
nahid78 wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

Dear nahid78,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I usually am a fan of Veritas questions, but I am not sure that I approve of this one. This one has a rather unconventional sentence structure, one that I think would be unlikely to appear on the GMAT.

Of course the topic is Detroit, the largest US city ever to file bankruptcy.

You see, in the sentence the subject appears AFTER the verb. This is a somewhat colloquial structure, common in American journalist.
"Out of X has developed [subject] . . . "

The main subject of the sentence is "a committee." This is singular, so demands a singular verb, "has developed." (D) & (E) are out.

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is creating," not "are creating" or "create." We can eliminate all four incorrect choices on the basis of SVA.

The question is just a bit too colloquial for my tastes, and once one unpacks what's going on, it's a one-trick pony. Not a horrible question, but not Veritas' best.

Here's a solid SC practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3215
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video solution.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 02:20

a) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that are creating

c) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create

d) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating

e) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that create
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 03:47
a definite B!
this is inverted question where verb comes before a subject
a committee has developed---right so A, D and E are out
C is wrong as committee is singular and verb "create" is plural thus its wrong

A committee has developed that is creating

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

LBS Thread Master
B
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 03:15
Can an expert answer if "Pride" or "Committee" is the subject of the verb "has developed"
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 04:37
Tmoni26 wrote:
Can an expert answer if "Pride" or "Committee" is the subject of the verb "has developed"

Quote:

This given sentence is an inverted form where verb comes before the subject.
Try to understand the sentence by its meaning.

Does it make sense to say that pride developed a committee for preservation of X.
or will it be better to say that
A committee has developed for preservation of X.
if u feel why it formed, the answer(modifier) here is out of growing pride in achievements.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 05:11
This is so similar to the Official question that I came across some time back: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 10:48
sukanyar wrote:
This is so similar to the Official question that I came across some time back: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

Yes, subject-verb flip is a trap that GMAC uses occasionally. Our familiarity with the normal order of subject preceding verb may mislead us into identifying the subject wrongly. In majority of such cases the other contending (but wrong) subject(s) would generally be within a prepositional phrase before the verb.

In this case, the other contenders "pride" and "achievements" are within a prepositional phrases starting with "Out of...".

In the OG case you mentioned, the other contenders "fascination" and "all things antique" are within a prepositional phrases starting with "Out of...".
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 08:10
mikemcgarry wrote:

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is "

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please elaborate more about this? What would the normal sentence looks like?
I still can't follow how to reach such conclusion as I am having a problem with the re-inverted sentence,especially the placement of "that".

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 15:16
sleepynut wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is "

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please elaborate more about this? What would the normal sentence looks like?
I still can't follow how to reach such conclusion as I am having a problem with the re-inverted sentence,especially the placement of "that".

Dear sleepynut,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I must confess, I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

The OA has somewhat unusual word order, a word order typical of more sophisticated writing.
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city.
Notice that every before the verb is a series of prepositional phrases. There's no legitimate candidate for the subject, no freestanding noun, until we get to the word "committee." Thus, the word "committee" must be the subject.

Notice that "committee" is the only freestanding noun in the sentence until the word "that." You have to have the ability to set aside prepositional phrases and see the core grammatical structure of a sentence:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city

This is a "normal" sentence, normal for sophisticated writing.

My friend, it seems you are looking for clear rules you can use, and to master sentences of this sort, you need to develop the habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2017, 15:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap