GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 May 2018, 14:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:16) correct 59% (01:16) wrong based on 942 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Persistence of vision, the condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of darkness between flashes of light, explains the seeming magic produced by the stroboscope, an instrument that appears to freeze the swiftest motions while they are still going on.

a) the condition when your eyes bridge
b) when your eyes bridge
c) the condition of your eyes bridging
d) which occurs when your eyes bridge
e) occurring when your eyes bridge

Please help, guys. Why is C wrong? Doesnt the word "which" in answer D refer to "Vision" only, instead of "Persistence of Vision"? it seems kind of odd to me.

Thank you.

Originally posted by manhattan187 on 07 Sep 2015, 08:23.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 May 2018, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 08:59
manhattan187 wrote:
Persistence of vision, the condition when your
eyes bridge the gaps of darkness between flashes
of light, explains the seeming magic produced by
the stroboscope, an instrument that appears to
freeze the swiftest motions while they are still
going on.

b) when your eyes bridge

Please help, guys. Why is C wrong? Doesnt the word "which" in answer D refer to "Vision" only, instead of "Persistence of Vision"? it seems kind of odd to me.

Thank you.

b) when your eyes bridge
c) the condition of your eyes bridging --> Sounds very awkward, noun + Prep phrase + verb-ing form
d) which occurs when your eyes bridge --> Which usually modifies the word exactly before it, but can also modify a noun phrase such as "persistence of vision"
e) occurring when your eyes bridge --> here for me the original meaning is lost
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Re: Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 19:21
vinod332002 wrote:
manhattan187 wrote:
going on.

b) when your eyes bridge

Thank you.

b) when your eyes bridge
c) the condition of your eyes bridging --> Sounds very awkward, noun + Prep phrase + verb-ing form
d) which occurs when your eyes bridge --> Which usually modifies the word exactly before it, but can also modify a noun phrase such as "persistence of vision"

Why did you highlight "when" in A) and B)? It's used in D) as well?

Middle of nowhere!

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 19:44
rohitmanglik wrote:
vinod332002 wrote:
manhattan187 wrote:
going on.

b) when your eyes bridge

Thank you.

b) when your eyes bridge

Why did you highlight "when" in A) and B)? It's used in D) as well?

When necessarily has to refer to time. Neither a condition nor persistence of vision has anything to do with time. The occurrence of a condition on the other hand, occurs at a specific time.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 02:38
why e is wrong? pls help

I see both d an e are the same
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 05:00
thangvietnam wrote:
why e is wrong? pls help

I see both d an e are the same

On GMAT, when VERBing is preceded by a comma then either it should show be for cause-effect transition or it should provide additional information of the proceeding clause.

For more details check out http://gmatclub.com/forum/usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

OR take it this way:
which modifies immediate antecedent noun and VERBing modifies modifies a verb rather than a noun. Here we don't have a VERB in "Persistence of vision".

In this case it is neither of them so the usage is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 07:36
Persistence of Vision is not a condition i gather. Is that the reason option A is wrong? Or the use of when with condition is incorrect? Would "in which" instead of "when" make option A correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 17:57
GMATNinjaTwo sayantanc2k

Hi guys,

I was wondering could one of you please explain why option A is wrong? I understand the reasoning behind option D (which can jump over the preposition phrase and modify the noun preceding it); however, I am not able to understand why option A is incorrect. Is it incorrect because of "when"? If so, could you please explain why? Would greatly appreciate it!
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 09:49
manhattan187 wrote:
Persistence of vision, the condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of darkness between flashes of light, explains the seeming magic produced by the stroboscope, an instrument that appears to freeze the swiftest motions while they are still going on.

b) when your eyes bridge

Thank you.

why e is wrong?, pls, help.
occuring in choice e is not modifying persistence. instead, it is modifying the main clause and this distort the meaning. is that right?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 11:47
mikemcgarry , egmat

Could you please explain why is E wrong?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 12:02
I am not sure why option A is wrong. I see a proper appositive modifier here.

Posted from my mobile device

kudos please if it helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 22:08
Can someone explain why A is wrong and how D is correct?

Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 23:04
We usually fall into these traps because we are actually habituated to talking like this. Persistence of vision, is a phenomenon and not a condition, but since we talk in the same manner, neither our ears nor our brain can catch or understand the literal change in meaning that occurs. "The condition of our eyes bridging"...it is not clear enough that is it the eyes or the condition that bridges the gap. "Condition although is not the right word..it could be "phenomenon" or "is the situation when" ...in my understanding.

Hence, C for which I did opt for is not right. It should be D.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 04:10
Can someone explain why A is wrong and how D is correct?

Hi globaldesi,

'Persistence of vision' means 'the continued or prolonged existence of vision', and it is not a condition but a phenomenon.

a) the condition when your eyes bridge - When is used to refer time/at the time (When the new park opens, I’ll go there every day.)
b) when your eyes bridge - same as A
c) the condition of your eyes bridging - Meaning error - 'Persistence of vision' is not the condition of eyes and 'bridging' is illogically modifying eyes
d) which occurs when your eyes bridge - which is correctly modifying 'persistence of vision' and 'when' is correctly modifying the time 'when Persistence of vision occurs'
e) occurring when your eyes bridge - ',' (comma) + verbing modifier incorrectly modifying a noun

hope it helps.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 01:53
‘when’ in A and B is wrong. C is very awkward. E changes the meaning just a little bit, from explaining that Persistence of vision is a condition where your eyes bridge… to just saying that Persistence of vision is when your eyes bridge…’ So D is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 03:13
the meaning of sentence changes if we go with E. The actual sentence is trying to let us know that its a phenomenon i.e "Persistence of vision, which occurs when..., explains ...." - this means the phenomenon occurs and also explains something. While going with E only suffices the statement upto first comma only.

Prateek176 wrote:
mikemcgarry , egmat

Could you please explain why is E wrong?

Happy to receive feedback on my post.

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 10:00
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, aragonn, sudarshan22, GMATNinja, generis, hazelnut, Vyshak , @Daag

Could you please help me understand why E is wrong ?

As it seems, the ing modifier is correctly modifying the subject(Persistence of Vision) but there seems to be a change in meaning, but i am unable to understand.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Simon '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 04:48
I wish I could downgrade this question.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2019, 04:48

Persistence of Vision, a condition when your eyes bridge the gaps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap