It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3036 [7], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (01:35) correct 35% (01:48) wrong based on 1366 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure exerted on plant managers during the last five years to improve profits by cutting costs has done nothing to impair the industry’s ability to operate safely. However, environmentalists contend that the recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at petrochemical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest support for the position held by industry officials?

A) The petrochemical industry benefits if accidents do not occur, since accidents involve risk of employee injury as well as loss of equipment and product.

B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, but the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security.

C) Despite major cutbacks in most other areas of operation, the petrochemical industry has devoted more of its resources to environmental and safety measures in the last five years than in the preceding five years.

D) There is evidence that the most damaging of the recent oil spills would have been prevented had cost-cutting measures not been instituted.

E) Both the large fines and adverse publicity generated by the most recent oil spills have prompted the petrochemical industry to increase the resources devoted to oil-spill prevention.

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Last edited by Mahmud6 on 26 Nov 2017, 02:43, edited 4 times in total.
Formatted

Kudos [?]: 3036 [7], given: 220

4 KUDOS received
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [4], given: 147

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
Industry officials position: Cost cutting measures has done nothing to impair the industry’s ability to operate safely.

We need to support industry officials position.

Further, industry officials position seem to contradict the environmentalist's position that recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at pharmaceutical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

POE

A) The petrochemical industry benefits if accidents do not occur, since accidents involve risk of employee injury as well as loss of equipment and product.

We need to support that cost cutting measures has not compromised on safety. This option makes a general observation but doesn't suggest whether cost-cutting compulsions did sacrifice safety. Eliminate.

B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, nut the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security.

This option doesn't suggest whether unions industry did pay attention to union demands. Eliminate.

C) Despite major cutbacks in most other areas of operation, the petrochemical industry has devoted more of its resources to environmental and safety measures in the last five years than in the preceding five years.

Good. This option suggests that those cost cutting measures by industry did not compromise on safety but focussed on other areas.

D) There is evidence that the most damaging of the recent oil spills would have been prevented had cost-cutting measures not been instituted.

This support environmentalist's position but not industry's position.

E) Both the large fines and adverse publicity generated by the most recent oil spills have prompted the petrochemical industry to increase the resources devoted to oil-spill prevention.

Out of scope. This option talks about measures taken after oil-spill, totally unrelated to industry official's position.
Ans C.
Hope it helps.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Kudos [?]: 94 [4], given: 147

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 09:43
AbdurRakib wrote:
Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure exerted on plant managers during the last five years to improve profits by cutting costs has done nothing to impair the industry’s ability to operate safely. However, environmentalists contend that the recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at pharmaceutical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the strongest support for the position held by industry officials?

B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, nut the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security.

OG 2017 New Question

Question is asking us to support industry official.

Industry official is claiming that cost cutting has no role in reducing the safety at work (or the recent oil spill)

A) The petrochemical industry benefits if accidents do not occur, since accidents involve risk of employee injury as well as loss of equipment and product. In general its good, but it is not mentioning anything about cost cutting
B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, nut the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security. abandoning the union's request has nothing to do with weather cost cutting leads to safety reduction.
C) Despite major cutbacks in most other areas of operation, the petrochemical industry has devoted more of its resources to environmental and safety measures in the last five years than in the preceding five years. This supports the claim of industry official as despite of cutting the cost, it was in fact improved.
D) There is evidence that the most damaging of the recent oil spills would have been prevented had cost-cutting measures not been instituted. weakens the officials statement by showing that cost cutting was reason of oil spill
E) Both the large fines and adverse publicity generated by the most recent oil spills have prompted the petrochemical industry to increase the resources devoted to oil-spill prevention. Cost cutting is not talked about

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 02:26
stimusus;
petrochemical industry said that cutting cost=cannot negatively affect their ability to operate safely.
environmentalist said that cutting cost = reason for recent serious oil spills.
in answers, there is no question that directly weaken the evidence of environmentalist. only in C show the idea that supports industry claim.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 07:50
However, environmentalists contend that the recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at pharmaceutical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

Pardon my ignorance....May be I m missing something....How pharmaceutical plants will have oil spills ?

I got distracted after reading this statement.

-South City

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1060 [0], given: 87

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 01:03
Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure exerted on plant managers during the last five years to improve profits by cutting costs has done nothing to impair the industry’s ability to operate safely. However, environmentalists contend that the recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at petrochemical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

Strengthen Petrochemical industry officials position that cost cutting measures implemented by plant managers has not impaired safety .

Relevant but not conclusive - this is a general observation
B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, but the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security. irrelevant
C) Despite major cutbacks in most other areas of operation, the petrochemical industry has devoted more of its resources to environmental and safety measures in the last five years than in the preceding five years. Correct answer - The focus on safety measures has increased in past 5 years .
This restates the position of environmentalists
E) Both the large fines and adverse publicity generated by the most recent oil spills have prompted the petrochemical industry to increase the resources devoted to oil-spill prevention. Out of scope

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1060 [0], given: 87

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 15:41
I was down to B and C, and thereafter it was an easy journey. Both B and C are reciprocal to each other.

B strengthen the Environmentalists claim that the recent rash of serious oil spills and accidents at petrochemical plants is traceable to cost-cutting measures.

Thus OPTION C is a clear winner.

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 03:22
I ended up discarding C because it was not expressly mentioned that the industry had actually met the enviromentalists requirements in the last five years; A, on the other hand and after further reflection, is more perceivably off-topic. Hard one.

One of the rarest breeds of potential GMAT test-takers. Sucks at maths, (usually) rocks linguistic syntax and morphology.
Lil' sign humbly asks of thee: please do be charitable with kudos in case he's helping you in the "Sentence Correction" forum, his natural habitat as a grammar geek. With everyone's help he shall be able to afford a proper tuition and perhaps rediscover the congruence criteria for triangles.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 23:19
C- it supports the industry officials claim.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Schools: IIMB

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 11:01
was confused between A and C. Finaly chose C. I have been getting wrong ans to strengthen questions in a row lately.
So I took 15 mins with this and kept explaining myself why I think this ans choice is better than the other one.
Kind of pros and cons table for each contender ans choice. Thankfully that worked this time. I guess I was being
overconfident so far now hitting flukes. I need to do similar analysis for all questions in future.

Thank you for posting.

Regard
Megha

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 254

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED

B) Petrochemical industry unions recently demanded that additional money be spent on safety and environment protection measures, but the unions readily abandoned those demands in exchange for job security.

abhishekdadarwal2009, Merge topic. Please search before posting.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 607 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Simplify the argument -

Industry officials
Cutting costs to improve profits--> No impact on safety

Environmentalists
Cutting costs --> oil spills and accidents --> negative impact on safety.

We are asked to strengthen the industry officials' argument.

Option A - Incorrect.
this option says
No accidents --> No losses due to damage to equipment and employees.
This option does not make it clear why cost cutting measures had little to no impact on safety.

Option B - Incorrect.
this kind of weakens the argument. if they abandoned their demands for additional safety measures, probably that had a negative impact on safety.

Option C - Correct.
Gives a reason to say why the cost cutting measures had no impact on safety. Because, they did not impact spending on safety measures.

Option D - Incorrect.
Weakens the argument.

Option E - Incorrect.
Note that we are talking about the impact of cost-cutting measures implemented in the last 5 years. The new measures taken to improve safety have no impact on that. Hence, not relevant.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 607 [1], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 08:42
Additional comments can be found on this post
https://gmatclub.com/forum/petrochemica ... 20393.html

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 17:09
why does D weaken the argument ...dont understand that ?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:49
megha_2709 wrote:
was confused between A and C. Finaly chose C. I have been getting wrong ans to strengthen questions in a row lately.
So I took 15 mins with this and kept explaining myself why I think this ans choice is better than the other one.
Kind of pros and cons table for each contender ans choice. Thankfully that worked this time. I guess I was being
overconfident so far now hitting flukes. I need to do similar analysis for all questions in future.

Thank you for posting.

Regard
Megha

Would your approach work in on the official test? Seems time-consuming. Which materials are you using for study? I use ManhattanGMAT, and I get 100% on these and weaken questions. I have heard the Powerscore CR Bible is good as well, if not better.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Re: Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 20:49

Petrochemical industry officials have said that the extreme pressure e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap