Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: PhD Engineer, 32+ MBA Candidate [#permalink]
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the feedback. It gives me a much needed boost of confidence....

I have never interacted with admission consultants, and I might have missed a trick there. Even doing it now might be good as it will help me identify the flaws in my application.
I would like to follow this up, and you mentioned about contacting your Director. Any suggestions on how to do this? Send an email to your website with my situation or send a request for profile evaluation? If you need my contact details, let me know.

About Kellogg, I would really be happy to get-off the wait-list and get accepted, but given my track-record, I am not very hopeful. If I get accepted, nothing like it.

Anyways, thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.

ManhattanReview wrote:
Thanks for your posting and being so open and honest about your background and experiences.

There is a disconnect here that needs to be addressed. You have the background, stats and experience to be admitted into a world-class MBA program. My guess is that there is something wrong with how you present yourself in your application and this really needs to be addressed. Being a slightly older candidate presents some challenges, but in your case I believe they can be overcome. The biggest hurdle to overcome for you is that you are in a very competitive demographic group (Indian male), but in this case I also think that it can be overcome with your work and life experiences. Not having seen your application it is difficult to say, but my guess is that you might not have presented yourself to the best of your abilities - and when competing against a world-class candidate pool - this will definitely impact your chances.

My immediate advice is that you get feedback from an experienced admissions consultant. Our Director would be more than happy to speak with you about your background. An assessment can be arranged if you contact our office. I would also not give up on Kellogg at this stage -- while getting off the w/l is not easy, it can be done.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Contact us for a free candidacy assessment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had applied to Insead and had been rejected, and that was it. Did not really look at other schools.
Thanks for suggesting IMD, I will look it up. Maybe, all is not lost:) Will look up other schools as well.

Best of luck with your applications..

bob99 wrote:
A well thought-out post that requires a more thorough answer than I'll give, but I wondered if you had given the top European programs any consideration? In particular IMD seems to be a perfect fit for you. Of course I'm a bit biased as I applied there myself, but it's a great school with a top notch reputation (at least in Europe). It's more skewed towards the industry than consulting and finance, which seems to be a good match for your future plans.

It's still possible to make the Jan 2014 intake with only two of five deadlines having passed so far.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,
An update from my side and some more confusion!! I am still on the wait-list for Kellogg:(

I have just received an admission offer from the NUS MBA program. It was a quick application that I did not think much about previously, but started getting interested after applying.

Now NUS is not a bad place to be, but I am guessing that it is not at the same level as top10, top15 US programs. Given my interest in technology, Singapore is a great place. And NUS definitely enjoys a good reputation in the region.

However, NUS does not seem to be a strong player in Technology. I would be open to a career switch if necessary, but I think that would be difficult at NUS (or any other solid medium level program). Finally, the median starting salaries at the Program are significantly less than what I make now.

That being said, I still want an MBA and recognize that as I get older, it will be harder.

So here is my dilemma: Should I take up NUS, or should I apply again in round 1 in the fall to some of my target US schools for matriculating in 2014? A bird in hand is/ is not worth two in the bush...

Any comment/suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Ohh boy!! Just realized that I’m in trouble!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts