GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please evaluate - 24M, Marketing FT MBA, Top 20-50

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Darden '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Please evaluate - 24M, Marketing FT MBA, Top 20-50  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 13:03
Hi John! Long time admirer of your thoughtful and dedicated advices.
Sorry for not having taken the GMAT yet as I'm not yet confident I'm ready now. But please excuse me for the temptation to see the feasibility of my application goal for this application season.
So, here it goes...

Background
Work experience: 2.5 years at 1 cosmetics distribution company (very first job, shouldn't have done this as it's quite irrelevant) and 1 major automobile/motorcycle company (think like 30th, Global 500) as product/brand marketing roles. Not any promotion or any significant leadership roles yet, unfortunately; but I've been diligent at work and rewarded with multi-million dollar projects that I hope I can highlight in my application.
Extra curriculars: Events organizing at college clubs
Undergrad school/major: Business & Economics
Other education/coursework: None
Race/nationality: Asian (Vietnamese)
Sex: Male

Stats
GMAT Score (include breakdown!): Not yet taken, aim at 720-730 (I'm not a naturally strong Quant/data guy)
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 at top undergrad business school in my country

MBA Info
Goal of MBA: Continue brand management roles (CPG, B2B...)/ switch to product marketing for tech sector (think Amazon, Apple)/ media industry (think Walt Disney Company). Personally I'm a bit more creative kind of guy (not the typical business guy I think). I'll try my very best to live my American dream after graduation but if the employment picture for H1-B is too doomed, coming back to my country is also not so bad, considering CPG companies abound here too.

Target schools: Anderson, Kelley (stretch); Owen, Foster, Marshall, Carlson, Smeal, Purdue (reach), Fordham (safe - they have 2nd concentration in coms & media). Would like to secure some $ as well.

I think I'll try some schools in R1 and see how is my candicacy; if it doesn't look too good I think I'll hold off for 1-2 years and move to another job to strengthen my professional experience (think CPG marketing/assistant marketing manager role; or consulting - associate, Tier 2 level at my country - I am also looking at dipping into consulting. Tech firms are almost non-existent here)

Thank you very much!
Duc Anh
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Please evaluate - 24M, Marketing FT MBA, Top 20-50  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 09:06
mrzerog wrote:
Hi John! Long time admirer of your thoughtful and dedicated advices.
Sorry for not having taken the GMAT yet as I'm not yet confident I'm ready now. But please excuse me for the temptation to see the feasibility of my application goal for this application season.
So, here it goes...

Background
Work experience: 2.5 years at 1 cosmetics distribution company (very first job, shouldn't have done this as it's quite irrelevant) and 1 major automobile/motorcycle company (think like 30th, Global 500) as product/brand marketing roles. Not any promotion or any significant leadership roles yet, unfortunately; but I've been diligent at work and rewarded with multi-million dollar projects that I hope I can highlight in my application.
Extra curriculars: Events organizing at college clubs
Undergrad school/major: Business & Economics
Other education/coursework: None
Race/nationality: Asian (Vietnamese)
Sex: Male

Stats
GMAT Score (include breakdown!): Not yet taken, aim at 720-730 (I'm not a naturally strong Quant/data guy)
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 at top undergrad business school in my country

MBA Info
Goal of MBA: Continue brand management roles (CPG, B2B...)/ switch to product marketing for tech sector (think Amazon, Apple)/ media industry (think Walt Disney Company). Personally I'm a bit more creative kind of guy (not the typical business guy I think). I'll try my very best to live my American dream after graduation but if the employment picture for H1-B is too doomed, coming back to my country is also not so bad, considering CPG companies abound here too.

Target schools: Anderson, Kelley (stretch); Owen, Foster, Marshall, Carlson, Smeal, Purdue (reach), Fordham (safe - they have 2nd concentration in coms & media). Would like to secure some $ as well.

I think I'll try some schools in R1 and see how is my candidacy; if it doesn't look too good I think I'll hold off for 1-2 years and move to another job to strengthen my professional experience (think CPG marketing/assistant marketing manager role; or consulting - associate, Tier 2 level at my country - I am also looking at dipping into consulting. Tech firms are almost non-existent here)

Thank you very much!
Duc Anh

Dear Duc Anh,

First off, the good thing is that opposed to countries where the Adcoms get TONS of Applications, Vietnamese applicants are still a bit rare, so that has the potential of working in your favor.

Overall, I don't think your profile is that bad. A lot will depend upon the GMAT, and I try not to conjecture too much before you get your score, because then it can build a certain set of calcified choices, that actually need to be kept dynamic. I will only say that if you DO get your target score, you will be in pretty good shape. Maybe top 10 will still be a stretch for you, but there are other great schools.

It's true that your work industry and experience are not necessarily typical... but that's not always bad. From here, it's a bit hard to say how strong or not your work experience is, since I am lacking significant detail. But if you have done well, you might be surprised what you can pull out.

Other than that, I will say that STORY is more important than you think - where you come from, professionally AND personally, where you are going to.... what your ambitions and dreams are.

I get the feeling that there is still much more hidden in your profile that we can dig out.

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Best,
JF

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Darden '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 16:07
Thanks Jon. Some confidence boost already!

Just registered for the free consultation and looking forward to more insightful advices from you!

Best,
Duc Anh
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:26
mrzerog wrote:
Thanks Jon. Some confidence boost already!

Just registered for the free consultation and looking forward to more insightful advices from you!

Best,
Duc Anh

woohoo!
We'll hook you up with our best guys for sure!

Looking forward to it,
Best,
Jon

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Please evaluate - 24M, Marketing FT MBA, Top 20-50

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap