GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT ToolKit User
Please evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 22:41
Hey guys,

I am targeting US and Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake. Can you guys please evaluate my profile and share your comments? Please be as blatant as possible.
Can you guys suggest a few schools that I should apply to? Stretch, achievable and safe ones.

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Nationality - Canadian
Sex - Male

Academics:
GMAT - 710 (Q47, V41)
Undergrad GPA: 2.77/4, Actuarial Science, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

Work Experience - 1-month Investment Banking Internship at CITIC Securities, the largest investment bank in Asia. 2-month consulting internship at Deloitte Shanghai.

Extracurricular activities:
Consultant for the school's Chinese Students and Scholars Association. Focused on Career development, specifically in organizing career fairs, Meet the Firm, and other career development activities.

Career Goals - Initially came into university majoring in Actuarial Science under the assumption that a knowledge in risk calculation would help me excel in the financial world. Upon further understanding of the major and the responsibilities of an actuary, I noticed that this is not a major that I like and would help little in my dream of entering the financial field. Therefore, I wish to study finance for graduate school. Upon graduate school, my goal is to pursue a position on Wall Street, working my way up from the bottom of the corporate ladder and learning more about the financial world as time passes by. Once I obtain enough knowledge and experience, my ultimate goal would be to become a partner at a boutique financial firm or return to my home country and provide affordable financial advice and portfolio management for the masses.

Please let me know in case any additional information is required from my end.

By the way, would have a good GRE score help with my application, I plan on taking the GRE in May.

Would certificates from HBX help?
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Please evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 10:49
TheRealStig wrote:
Hey guys,

I am targeting US and Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake. Can you guys please evaluate my profile and share your comments? Please be as blatant as possible.
Can you guys suggest a few schools that I should apply to? Stretch, achievable and safe ones.

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Age: 21That is on the young side for an MBA-- however I will reserve comment until I see your work experience!
Nationality - Canadian
Sex - Male

Academics:
GMAT - 710 (Q47, V41)Glad you have the GMAT as the GPA is going to hurt a bit. Even though I know actuarial science is a tough major-But the school still has to report that 2.77 in their stats and that is a little painful. If you can up your GMAT even a tad more-- it makes it easier to take the lower GPA.
Undergrad GPA: 2.77/4, Actuarial Science, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

Work Experience - 1-month Investment Banking Internship at CITIC Securities, the largest investment bank in Asia. 2-month consulting internship at Deloitte Shanghai.
OK- so now I've seen it. you need more work experience! You could consider applying to a deferred admit MBA program-- one where you apply now but don't start until you have a few years work under your belt-- but I don't think you would be that competitive with the 2.77 GPA... if you want to look at one that is still open for undergrads to apply look at UVA Darden as they have a second deadline in August. The other option is to get a MSFinance but I think you should try first to see if you can get a finance job as then you can get the MBA after a few years.
Extracurricular activities:
Consultant for the school's Chinese Students and Scholars Association. Focused on Career development, specifically in organizing career fairs, Meet the Firm, and other career development activities.

Career Goals - Initially came into university majoring in Actuarial Science under the assumption that a knowledge in risk calculation would help me excel in the financial world. Upon further understanding of the major and the responsibilities of an actuary, I noticed that this is not a major that I like and would help little in my dream of entering the financial field. Therefore, I wish to study finance for graduate school. Upon graduate school, my goal is to pursue a position on Wall Street, working my way up from the bottom of the corporate ladder and learning more about the financial world as time passes by. Once I obtain enough knowledge and experience, my ultimate goal would be to become a partner at a boutique financial firm or return to my home country and provide affordable financial advice and portfolio management for the masses.

Please let me know in case any additional information is required from my end.

By the way, would have a good GRE score help with my application, I plan on taking the GRE in May.

Would certificateIf you can do even a little better on GMAT I'd stick with that as I think a high GMAT will help you a little more than the high GRE given the GPA you have. HBX won't hurt-- but it won't get you into Harvard B School. However, if you can take any courses in Accounting, MicroEcon, Statistics and Calculus and have "A" grades if you don't have those on your transcript-- it could be worth it to get an A grade on any of these courses to show adcom that you can do the work. And I do think the 2.7 in a quant oriented major is better than a 2.7 as a history major where they would potentially doubt if you could keep up with the quant work. Your Q part of GMAT pretty good-- and if you can get to 49 even better.I would also suggest you consider working with us for a few hours over the course of a year in our Early Edge program to help you get ready for your MBA-- we'd go over all the parts of your profile and help you build a plan to strengthen yourself in each area so that when you do apply you will be ready. To learn more about that program-- please reach out to us at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/s from HBX help?

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please evaluate my profile &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 10:49

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap