GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please Help - Mendoza ($$) vs Carlson ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Please Help - Mendoza ($$) vs Carlson ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2019, 17:44
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two MBA programs and would really appreciate any insights that this community can provide. I need to make a decision in the next few days (since the deposit is due) and am thankful for your feedback and guidance.

I am an international student with a bachelors in Electronics Engineering and 5.5 years of work experience in the Financial Services / Payments Industry. I am keeping my options open from a recruiting perspective but am partial to Tech and general management or operational roles in Banks / FinTech companies (not recruiting for Consulting / Investment Banking). I am drawn to the Notre Dame brand (and higher ranking) but concerned about networking / recruiting opportunities in South Bend, IN. Carlson seems to have a very strong brand in Minneapolis / Midwest and there are more job opportunities in the twin cities.

Mendoza - admitted into the dual-degree MBA / MSBA program
STEM designation, 60% scholarship
Higher rank (26 in US News) and Notre Dame has a better brand
Small town, hence networking would be a challenge
All the current students said that on-campus recruiting is a challenge, and I would have to rely on my own efforts to land a job
The higher number of international students, all of whom are probably recruiting for the same roles/companies (that sponsor visas)
Chicago is where most students end up, but I presume there's a lot of competition from better-known midwest schools (Booth, Kellogg, Ross, Kelley)

Carlson - admitted into the full-time MBA program
80% scholarship (lower out of pocket expenses ~$25K but a slightly higher cost of living)
Bigger city feel (so easier for my husband to relocate) and a lot of Fortune 500 companies in and around Minneapolis, hence a lot of networking opportunities
Lower ranked (35 in US News)
More companies recruit on-campus but I would still need to put in a lot of effort to get a job
No STEM designation - I could transfer into the dual-degree MBA / MSBA program but its a 2.5-year program (and higher tuition)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Please Help - Mendoza ($$) vs Carlson ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2019, 18:55
Congratulations on your admits and scholarships!

I have heard good things over the years about Carlson and ability to get a job In Minneapolis after graduation. At the same time, what’s the point if you miss out on the H1B lottery.... any chance Carlson getting a stem designation?

Getting it via 2-degree option would likely require you to make up your mind by April of your first year or even sooner. That’s too soon to be if much value unless you opt to do it... which I would only do if you were set on saying in MN.

I would probably choose ND Mendoza based on the current facts.

PS. Is Notre Dame known one your country? In case you choose to go back at some point?

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Please Help - Mendoza ($$) vs Carlson ($$$)   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2019, 18:55

Please Help - Mendoza ($$) vs Carlson ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate