Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [18]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’ [#permalink]
A) correct. As stated in the passage, on its own sales of PS4 could not surpass Xbox One (the fact that Xbox cut prices to boost sales did not alter this fact)
B) incorrect. There's no mention of this info in the passage.
C) incorrect. Increased sales does not equal increased market shares.
D) incorrect. Xbox One did employ price cut but it also included free games to boost sales.
E) incorrect. Prediction is not valid in this case.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’ [#permalink]
The answer is A which can be inferred from the premises.
All other options are a step further from the premises
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Clear A

PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One. IS ALMOST SAYING THE SAME AS THE PREMISE: Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
gmt1 wrote:
If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’s PS4 sold 18.5 million units and reached 10.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, a growth of 37.9% from October 2014. Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games. On 28th January 2015, Spotify, the leading music subscription service announced an exclusive partnership with PS4, and offered digital music to 64 million PlayStation Network users. With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.

Which one of the following conclusions is valid for the above statements?

a) PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One.

b) Demand for Microsoft’s Xbox One declined during Feb 2015

c) Bundling of services has increased the market share for Sony’s PS4

d) Price Cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units

e) Sales of Sony’s PS4 will overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One in 2015

OA is D

A -> incorrect -> no info about brands
B -> incorrect -> no info given
c -> increase in sell of products does not imply increase in market share -> incorrect
e - > out of scope
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
OA has been added. Please see the following link for OE and further discussions on this question:

v07-199574.html#p1536010
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
C - no correlation between volume of sales and market share is mentioned in the article, thus it is out of scope
D - is a rare example of unstated assumption in inference questions since we are not told that Microsoft success in 2014 was due to price cuts however this is the closest to be true option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
ravikrishna1979 wrote:
With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.

The last line gives clear information that due to bundling , PS4 sales have one up.

a) PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One.
--No it cannot be concluded, could be that PS4 can cross Xbox but will take its own time may be 1 or 2 years or more

--Cannot say, may be new customers the bracket has changed due to bundle.

--This clearly is a conclusion.

--Cannot generalise with one example

--Cannot say

If XBOX's sales increase more than PS4's sales, then C is wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Quote:
Microsoft???s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games.

I initially thought the answer would be D, but switched to another thinking that the sale of Xbox One may be accelerated due to direct impact of free games and price cut may play an indirect role. Is it possible?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
Send PM
what is the best strategy to deal with this special kind of question?
It is because there are many numbers in the passage alone.
In options, there are different ideas.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
Send PM
My 2 cents:
In each option, ones will realize distinct idea is discussed.
A,E are out because I do not believe the company will be overtaken based on information from the passage.
B talks about decreasing demands, C talks about increasing market shares, D talks about price cut. => B is wrong
D is more vivid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
I cant rule out option C, i thought bundling of services "digital music to 64 million user" might have increased the sale to 45% and thus increasing the market share...Can anyone help me
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
sananoor wrote:
I cant rule out option C, i thought bundling of services "digital music to 64 million user" might have increased the sale to 45% and thus increasing the market share...Can anyone help me

Quote:

Yes, sales of PS4 may have increased, but if sales of Microsoft’s Xbox One increased by a larger amount, market share for Sony's PS4 would not have increased. We cannot conclude choice (C) without further information.

This question appears to be from an unofficial source (F1GMAT).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Spike in sales for PS4 might not indicate an increase in market share, however the increase in sales also directs additional consumers must have been included which is not mentioned in the statement.
If the additional consumers were not available then the spike in sales should be accommodated by compromising the XBox's market share. Hence my assumption was option C.
Please advise on this view.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This is a tricky question as it contains a large amount of date which can irk us .
The choice is between C and D
we cannot say 100% positively that the market share of PS4 increased compared with xbox.
The sales of the PS4 have increase but it might so happen that there are other companies selling their own games who have lost their market .
Only option D is inferred properly from the argument.
Hence answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
gmt1 wrote:
If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’s PS4 sold 18.5 million units and reached 10.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, a growth of 37.9% from October 2014. Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games. On 28th January 2015, Spotify, the leading music subscription service announced an exclusive partnership with PS4, and offered digital music to 64 million PlayStation Network users. With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.

I saw lots of people are getting confused between c and d. Let me try this

Pay heed to word " Sale" and "share" both have different meaning

It saying market share has been increased means someone else would have been decreased either of microsoft or any other company but nowhere it is mentioned that something like this happened.

Also we only told about the percantage of sale increase not the market share.

Might be sale of both sony and microsoft would have increase, might be not.

So we can't say for surity that increase in sale will lead to increase in share. So that is why "C" is wrong

Impact- Can be positive or negative

But it is sure that due to price cut there is an impact on the sales of gaming unit sold ( as given in the passage).

Hope you understand my reasoning.

In case of any issue or mistake please correct me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts