Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Sustainability
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
stonecold wrote:
This is what "JOHN F. KENNEDY",the 35th president of the United sates of America, wrote on his Harvard College essay.

Why do you wish to come to Harvard?

The reasons that I have for wishing to go to Harvard are several. I feel that Harvard can give me a better background and a better liberal education than any other university. I have always wanted to go there, as I have felt that it is not just another college, but is a university with something definite to offer. Then too, I would like to go to the same college as my father. To be a "Harvard man" is an enviable distinction, and one that I sincerely hope I shall attain.

April 23, 1935
John F. Kennedy

Would this essay make it in today's application cycle?

Posted from my mobile device
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
VeteranMom wrote:
stonecold wrote:
This is what "JOHN F. KENNEDY",the 35th president of the United sates of America, wrote on his Harvard College essay.

Why do you wish to come to Harvard?

The reasons that I have for wishing to go to Harvard are several. I feel that Harvard can give me a better background and a better liberal education than any other university. I have always wanted to go there, as I have felt that it is not just another college, but is a university with something definite to offer. Then too, I would like to go to the same college as my father. To be a "Harvard man" is an enviable distinction, and one that I sincerely hope I shall attain.

April 23, 1935
John F. Kennedy

Would this essay make it in today's application cycle?

Probably not.
Just an archaic artefact I wanted to share
:) :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hello aeropower NateFromHBS JonAdmissionado

Appreciate your efforts to pen down the thoughts. I would like to pick your brains on few things:

How much time is sufficient to write a good compelling essay?

How many colleges should one consider to apply if he or she has less than one month for R1 deadline?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Does anyone have a list of all of the questions for the letter of recommendation section?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mbaapp1234 wrote:
Does anyone have a list of all of the questions for the letter of recommendation section?

Hello mbaapp1234 - After researching a bit, I found these set of questions for the letter of recommendation for Harvard Business School.

Hope this helps.

1. Are you an HBS graduate? (drop-down menu)

2. If yes, please list year of graduation (drop-down menu)

3. Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, their role in your organization. (250 characters)

4. Number of applicants you are recommending to the HBS MBA Program this year.

5. How do the applicant’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (Recommended: 300 words)

6. Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (Recommended: 250 words)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Hi everyone, I'm going to join this thread too and try to answer as many questions as I can. I'm still due to write up my MBA application journey and will try to do that before heading to Boston.

Aaliyah537 wrote:

I'd love to get your take on something. Does it matter which application you start working on first? For instance, if I were applying to HBS is it better to start with a less challenging application now, then tackle the HBS essays in August? I've heard that the HBS is too much pressure to start with. Is it better to work first on the school you're most excited about or the one with the easiest application?

I actually had the opposite reasoning. I started with my HBS application because I knew I'd have to do all the groundwork, and essentially work on a blank canvas for the essay and my overall "pitch". After that churning out more straightforward applications is much easier. HBS took me 5-6 weeks, Wharton was 9 days right after, and I'm pretty sure I could've done 1 a week from there on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
aeropower wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Awesome! I am really looking forward to reading your MBA jouney on the forum. A quick follow up question - How was your HBS interview experience? For a few people I spoke with last year it seemed like they felt that their interviewer already knew their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from. How was your experience?

I would argue a different view from the interviewer already knowing their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from.

Obviously, this is my opinion, and should be viewed just as that... I think that the interview is very important at HBS. If the interviewer already knew their decision, what would be the point of even being invited to interview? I don't think that wasting the interviewer's and interviewee's time is part of the plan.

As for the actual interview, I think that HBS's unique interview (one that is different for every candidate since the interviewer has reviewed your entire application beforehand) is meant to assess many things, but, most importantly, whether or not you would excel in the case method that is utilized heavily at HBS. What I mean by that isn't simply, could you answer questions if you were called upon, I also mean your ability to express your argument succinctly and clearly (essentially, spreading your experience and knowledge effectively to your classmates).

I think that the interview at HBS is absolutely important. As for my experience.. it was typical of your HBS interview that has been reported on and archived all over the web.

Hope this helps!

Totally second aero here. I think HBS's interview is very important and was the most personal interview/conversation I've ever had. At the interview reception I met quite a few fellow candidates who felt their interviews had not gone well at all, and others who were ecstatic. So there's definitely additional insight gained by the admissions team, and most of it is how you do in an informed case study (with you being the case discussed).

We're quite far from interview stage but I'll share invaluable advice I was given before my interview: The application and essays are meant to get to know your past and present, anyone can talk about lofty future goals and ideals, but are you a leader who will act on those. The interview explores more in detail the past but also how well informed you are about your possible future path and industry. So research and know that inside out. Example: If you want to transition to marketing for a multinational, make sure you know the entire industry space, recent news, and WHY you want to do that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Hi Everyone!

Two things:

1. Question re: people in previous classes at HBS with low gpa's
2. Thought I would post my experience from visiting HBS this past March

1. Obviously, I have a low GPA as you can see in my profile. I do have some extenuating circumstances the main one being that I was a first generation college student and provided 100% of my own support through college via working full time while going to school full time. I have a decent story that I feel is unique and I am confident about it.....and I can share later if anyone is really interested... but the main point of this part of my post is that for those of you that are at or attended HBS what is the lowest GPA you have heard of and what are some of the stories/backgrounds of these low gpa'rs that got admitted? HBS recently announced a new fellowship for first gen/students from low income backgrounds...could they possibly be looking to add more diversity from this group into their classes?

2. As for my visit to HBS: I have a mentor at work who is an HBS graduate. I had a conversation with him before I went to campus and the main takeaway was that everyone has an idea of what HBS "should" be like, but when you get there you begin to realize that there really is not one "HBS type" it is a diverse group of people from different backgrounds all learning from each other. SO I tried to keep this in mind when I went to campus and I cannot really begin to describe to you how true this was. When I got to Dillon with all of the other visiting students I will say I felt completely out of place...first I was the only female there..and I definitely felt like the other visitors were of a certain "type" of person (Disclaimer: I am sure that if I got to know them well they are all obviously unique individuals with different backgrounds so I am just pointing out my first impression here based on my limited interaction. I also kinda got the feeling that some of them were just trying to play the "HBS type" part) However, the feeling in the classroom was the exact opposite. I no longer felt like I didn't belong and that's precisely because of the diversity of opinions in the classroom that HBS works so hard to cultivate. This was definitely my biggest take away from my visit, and gave me some much needed perspective about how to tell my unique story that portrays who I am not who I think HBS wants me to be. And for that reason, I think if you can visit campus before applying you absolutely should and do so expecting to observe the diversity of the student body not just the star struck "HBS type". It will 100% help you write a better application. (If you're curious the class I sat in on was The Entrepreneurial Manager also known as TEM, the case was Crossfit)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Bridgeur wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm going to join this thread too and try to answer as many questions as I can. I'm still due to write up my MBA application journey and will try to do that before heading to Boston.

Thank you Bridgeur for pitching in, your expertise will definitely help broader community. Eagerly waiting for your MBA application journey post!

Also, I had some questions, did you get into Harvard? How many schools did you apply to? And how many schools did you get into?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello FuturePM91 -

1. You mentioned that your GPA is low, having said that you have a pretty decent score on GMAT, and I believe that you should be able to provide reasoning for low GPA's in your essays. As far as examples of low GPA goes, at least I don't have knowledge on the lowest GPA scores, however, Harvard cares more about your overall profile, based on your strong story, I believe you have strong chances.

Also, would really like to read about your story! I am sure it will inspire many of us. :-D

2. With respect to your campus visit experience, I would suggest you please post your detailed experience on this thread so we have all visit experience in one place!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-hbs-campu ... 46213.html

Thanks You FuturePM91
ydmuley
Director
Director
Send PM
ydmuley wrote:
Hello FuturePM91 -

1. You mentioned that your GPA is low, having said that you have a pretty decent score on GMAT, and I believe that you should be able to provide reasoning for low GPA's in your essays. As far as examples of low GPA goes, at least I don't have knowledge on the lowest GPA scores, however, Harvard cares more about your overall profile, based on your strong story, I believe you have strong chances.

Also, would really like to read about your story! I am sure it will inspire many of us. :-D

2. With respect to your campus visit experience, I would suggest you please post your detailed experience on this thread so we have all visit experience in one place!

Thanks You FuturePM91
ydmuley

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll draft my story and post it next week sometime...I tend to be long winded lol and don't want to give you guys a novel. I will post my visit experience in the other thread as well. :-D
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thank you FuturePM91 - Don't worry if it is too long, I will consider it as my preparation for GMAT RC :P (Not to say that it will be boring as GMAT RC passages) But honestly, I am looking forward to the same.

Regards

FuturePM91 wrote:
ydmuley wrote:
Hello FuturePM91 -

Thanks You FuturePM91
ydmuley

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll draft my story and post it next week sometime...I tend to be long winded lol and don't want to give you guys a novel. I will post my visit experience in the other thread as well. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ydmuley wrote:
Bridgeur wrote:

Thank you Bridgeur for pitching in, your expertise will definitely help broader community. Eagerly waiting for your MBA application journey post!

Also, I had some questions, did you get into Harvard? How many schools did you apply to? And how many schools did you get into?

Hi,

Yes I was fortunate enough to get into both the schools I applied to: Wharton and HBS. I intended to apply to a couple more in R2, if R1 didn't pan out well :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
If you're set on an MBA, I always advise applying to at least six schools: 2 where are your GPA and GMAT are close to the class average, 2 more where are your stats make you a stretch, and 2 more at crapshoot schools like Harvard, Stanford, Booth.

If you're happy in your job and you're only interested in getting your MBA if it would significantly increase your employment prospects and personal network, then I would just apply to the top four. The high investment of school through tuition and foregone salary would make you unlikely to go anywhere else.

Director
Director
Send PM
Ok so as promised, my story...I just finished writing my first essay draft..I knew I wanted to write an "autobiography" kind of essay where I talked about key events in my life that led me to apply to HBS because business school wasn't really something I was planning on until maybe two years ago. Honestly I probably spent more time thinking about the essay and the important parts I wanted to tell than I did writing. I had a feeling of what I wanted to do post bschool but as cheesy as it sounds I had to spend a lot of time "getting to know myself" to figure out the why. So here it goes it a nutshell:

- My father died of cancer when I was two years old so my sister (who was 4 at the time) and I were raised by a single mom
- My mom (and my dad for that matter) didn't go to college and my dad died pretty suddenly there was about 4 months between his diagnosis and his death so she was all of the sudden left to take care of two toddlers without a college education or much work experience
- She began selling Mary Kay makeup. If you are unfamiliar with Mary Kay it is a multi-level marketing company/direct sales...bordering on the edge of a pyramid scheme. Sellers very rarely make a profit but my mom was able to support our family with it somehow...I'm still not really sure how..but the more I think about it the more amazing my mom sounds to me.
- Her example led me to be raised to be fiercely independent, determined, and resilient especially since my main role model was a single mom who also turned herself into a "business woman" against all odds.

- fast forward to choosing what college to attend: in the smaller community that I grew up in, those who went to college generally go to the community college in town or the larger state school less than an hour away an most of them end up coming back and settling down in my hometown (nothing wrong with this by the way)..but my mom's example made me want more than just what everyone else was doing so I chose to go to Georgia Tech which is the highest ranked school in my state that's also notoriously difficult
- Obviously due to my background there was not any money or support that my family could provide for me so I started working at 14 to save for college and worked all through my college career
- Random related fact: I actually happened to get a good job through a connection at the US Attorney's Office in my home down and was able to transfer to the US Attorney's office in
Atlanta, so Sally Yates is my old "big boss"
- Working took a toll on my grades...and I had to say no to a lot of opportunities but I did get involved in a club that would run marathons while raising money for cancer research due to my personal connection to the cause. This was(and is as I am still involved today) one of my major EC's I eventually became president and revamped the whole program and then was asked to work with the wider Atlanta community version of the same organization to mentor them in some best practices for the program

- I ended up getting a job at IHG in a brand quality/product management type role and I worked my way up to becoming one of the youngest female managers in the company.
- I love product management and definitely want to keep doing it as a career but I want to do it at a technology company and I want to work on products that have a social and economic impact or maybe even launch my own and this is really driven by my first generation, single parent, low income, small community background. I have witnessed first hand a lot of the social and economic barriers to success for people in these communities that are really very talented. So I want to use the skills I have developed in product management to help in addressing them.

In my essay, I was obviously more eloquent and tied all of these things into why HBS and what I could contribute to HBS via the case method. I am pretty happy with it...just hope I can get an interview in spite of my grades...fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I am curious what others here may think about this. HBS' essay is very open-ended and that, along with reading a few sample essays about very personal and barely MBA-related topics, inclined me to really open up and use this more as a mirror to my personality and what I enjoy than as a direct explanation of why HBS should select me.

I wonder if that's dangerous.

Given that I'm a military officer so leadership is generally assumed and my accomplishments are on my resume, I feel that I can differentiate myself by focusing my essay more on something which makes me unique: I have a part-time job designing for a major video game series, a childhood hobby that has become much more over the last few years.

Am I trying to leverage an MBA to start my own software development company? Not necessarily, so the linkage to an MBA is not so clear-cut.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not having a direct MBA connection or a paragraph about how X,Y, and Z at HBS would benefit from me attending there or vice versa? Is there more to gain by being a little different to set myself apart from the pack?

From the opening post:
Quote:
Let’s go back to Candidate 1. Military guy, say, with leadership screaming from every resume bullet. Maybe this guy/gal spends a touch more time revealing something sparkly his/her personality or future aspirations that when COUPLED WITH the leadership that speaks for itself, makes the adcom hot and bothered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Filthydelphia wrote:
I am curious what others here may think about this. HBS' essay is very open-ended and that, along with reading a few sample essays about very personal and barely MBA-related topics, inclined me to really open up and use this more as a mirror to my personality and what I enjoy than as a direct explanation of why HBS should select me.

I wonder if that's dangerous.

Given that I'm a military officer so leadership is generally assumed and my accomplishments are on my resume, I feel that I can differentiate myself by focusing my essay more on something which makes me unique: I have a part-time job designing for a major video game series, a childhood hobby that has become much more over the last few years.

Am I trying to leverage an MBA to start my own software development company? Not necessarily, so the linkage to an MBA is not so clear-cut.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not having a direct MBA connection or a paragraph about how X,Y, and Z at HBS would benefit from me attending there or vice versa? Is there more to gain by being a little different to set myself apart from the pack?

From the opening post:
Quote:
Let’s go back to Candidate 1. Military guy, say, with leadership screaming from every resume bullet. Maybe this guy/gal spends a touch more time revealing something sparkly his/her personality or future aspirations that when COUPLED WITH the leadership that speaks for itself, makes the adcom hot and bothered.

It's great to show how you are different and interesting in the HBS essay. What I caution against is the "hobby approach" wherein you list all your interesting pursuits, but fail to connect them together into a single mission. In general, it makes for a scatterbrained narrative and one that is too complicated to resonate.

Second, you have to understand that MBA admissions deans believe that they are custodians of a sacred, life changing resource: the spots in their MBA class. They only want to give those spots to those who are most deserving AND who will make the most of them in life. Failing to argue how an MBA will advance you to that next level of personal impact therefore leaves you vulnerable.

Happy to consult with anyone facing a similar dilemma. https://www.ivyadmissionsgroup.com/contact/

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Less than a month to go. I signed up in the portal today and have started filling in my details. While the chances of getting in a ridiculously small, I have to say I'm quite excited. I'm nervous for other schools because I'll be super bummed if I don't get in, but for HBS, it's just pure excitement.

How are you guys holding up?

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts