It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparation for GMAT 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Preparation for GMAT 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 08:58
Hi. I am planning to give GMAT in the month of june 2017. I am a B.Tech student so my quant is good but I want to improve my verbal section. Please help

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3198 [0], given: 170

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Preparation for GMAT 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 12:43
Hi ashokjha1986,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 16:12
ashokjha1986 wrote:
Hi. I am planning to give GMAT in the month of june 2017. I am a B.Tech student so my quant is good but I want to improve my verbal section. Please help

Hi ashokjha1986,

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:
1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.
1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 00:01
Hi. Currently I am working in Hydrocarbon sector and having 9 years of Project work experience. I am looking for either ISB or IIM. I can study 2 Hours per day. I am planning to purchase Manhattan series books (10 books) and 1 GMAT review book. Will this study be ok or I have to join online courses too? Keeping my experience of Hydrocarbon projects will IIM and ISB are good option for me or I should look for other colleges also?

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 07:54
ashokjha1986 wrote:
Hi. Currently I am working in Hydrocarbon sector and having 9 years of Project work experience. I am looking for either ISB or IIM. I can study 2 Hours per day. I am planning to purchase Manhattan series books (10 books) and 1 GMAT review book. Will this study be ok or I have to join online courses too? Keeping my experience of Hydrocarbon projects will IIM and ISB are good option for me or I should look for other colleges also?

Hi ashokjha1986,

As aI already said, there are following modes to prepare for the GMAT.

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

I personally recommend following either an online course or a classroom program.
Because one tends to understand more if a person is explaining the stuff.
You can take a trial of the online course to see if it suits your needs.

However if you have decided to go for the book heavy approach, there is no harm in doing that too.

Regarding the schools, it would depend on what you want to do post MBA.
Go through the websites of the schools and see the companies that come in to recruit.
Also have a look at the electives offered at the schools.

All the best!

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 17:44
Hi ashokjha1986,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are lots of different resources that you could use. Unfortunately, you won't know what you 'need' until you try some of them and we get a sense of how well you're scoring. In my prior post, I mentioned that it would be a good idea to take an initial CAT - and that's still what I suggest. Based on that score result, we can talk about how best to proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 03:44
Do visit Gmatclub daily for getting update.

purchase some good material for both GMAT Quants & verbal

U can also join e-gmat course .... it has good reviews for non native english speakers

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Preparation for GMAT 2017   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2017, 03:44