Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: ISB '19 (D)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: ISB '19 (D)
Send PM
Re: Preparation for GMAT 2017 [#permalink]
Hi. Currently I am working in Hydrocarbon sector and having 9 years of Project work experience. I am looking for either ISB or IIM. I can study 2 Hours per day. I am planning to purchase Manhattan series books (10 books) and 1 GMAT review book. Will this study be ok or I have to join online courses too? Keeping my experience of Hydrocarbon projects will IIM and ISB are good option for me or I should look for other colleges also?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashokjha1986 wrote:
Hi. Currently I am working in Hydrocarbon sector and having 9 years of Project work experience. I am looking for either ISB or IIM. I can study 2 Hours per day. I am planning to purchase Manhattan series books (10 books) and 1 GMAT review book. Will this study be ok or I have to join online courses too? Keeping my experience of Hydrocarbon projects will IIM and ISB are good option for me or I should look for other colleges also?

Hi ashokjha1986,

As aI already said, there are following modes to prepare for the GMAT.

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

I personally recommend following either an online course or a classroom program.
Because one tends to understand more if a person is explaining the stuff.
You can take a trial of the online course to see if it suits your needs.

However if you have decided to go for the book heavy approach, there is no harm in doing that too.

Regarding the schools, it would depend on what you want to do post MBA.
Go through the websites of the schools and see the companies that come in to recruit.
Also have a look at the electives offered at the schools.

All the best!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ashokjha1986,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are lots of different resources that you could use. Unfortunately, you won't know what you 'need' until you try some of them and we get a sense of how well you're scoring. In my prior post, I mentioned that it would be a good idea to take an initial CAT - and that's still what I suggest. Based on that score result, we can talk about how best to proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Do visit Gmatclub daily for getting update.

purchase some good material for both GMAT Quants & verbal

U can also join e-gmat course .... it has good reviews for non native english speakers
GMAT Club Bot